22-250 Rem Reloading Dies and Press

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Tanno
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

22-250 Rem Reloading Dies and Press

Post by Tanno »

Hello All,

I have been doing a little reloading over the years with a friend, he had all the reloaing gear and i've just added bits and pieces as we need them. So now is time i think we need a better press, we've been using a RCBS Rock Chucker. I've decided to get a Forster Co Ax press and also wanted to get the Redding Competion Seating Die with the micrometer adjustment, reading on a couple of forums over the net some people say that type of seating die dosen't clear the handle on the Forster press, is there anyone on here that is using or has tried to use this combination and found it not to fit also if you do have this press and the Redding Competion seating die in other calibers which fit and which don't.

Regards and Thank You in advance.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: 22-250 Rem Reloading Dies and Press

Post by trevort »

er, umm, most people upgrade TO a rock chucker! What is it not doing for you?

I use those dies in my rockchucker and partner press.

In the Sinclair catalogue it does say those dies wont fit in a certain press and I believ it is the forster co ax. Go on their website and check, dont have my catalogue here.
Tanno

Post by Tanno »

trevort, are you saying the forster press isn't as accurate as they say it is or is the rock chucker a better press
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

from all i've read the forster Co ax is a very very good press but how much better ammo will you make than you can with a rockchucker which is also a very good press.

I would buy the comp seater and a bushing neck die and try them. They should tighten your groups a little bit over standard dies. Then judge whether you think you could improve things further with the press before spending those dollars (which could help get you a chargemaster if you dont have one)

Forster make a sliding sleeve seater, I just bought one for the eagerly awaited new comp rifle. It should fit their press you would think :!:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

sorry forgot to say, the point of the sliding sleeve type dies is to capture and align the case before seating or sizing takes place. If there is any slop in your press then competition dies should compensate for it to a large extent anyway
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

My understanding is the Co-Ax allows several improvements over the Rock Chucker.

The dies snap in and out, once adjusted.
The floating design means even use of standard dies virtually eliminates runout issues.
The handle on top allows better ergonomics when resizing.

If I get another single stage press it will be the Forster.

EDIT..
I should have also said that if you have the Rock Chucker, perhaps test your loaded rounds for uniformity before spending your hard earned. I have several redding dies sets and have yet to see the need to get the competiton seater, and feel that it's really aimed at those that load multiple load lengths for the same caliber. I struggle to get one load combo going and when I do I lock that bastard in ! LOL
Last edited by wifecallsmegrumpy on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

because screwing in dies takes so long

Owen, how does the floating design (not an expert on the press so dont know what that is) elimate run out when it actually happens inside the die?
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

:lol:

Yeah I am a keyboard expert, so take everything with a grain of salt.
My understanding is the shell becomes aligned within the die before forces is added allowing for a truer seating. I have yet to see it in practice but have read great things.

My issue is not the time it takes to screw or unscrew dies, it's more related to the locking ring combo's that each manufacturer comes out with. Some have rubber o rings, some clamp together etc. For me screwing them in and out resulted in re-setting the die each time. A major PITA.
Tanno

Post by Tanno »

Thanks for the replies guys, with the forster press the way i see it's a very rigid type turret press, in the way that you can easily change dies without having to reset anything just slide one out and slide one in. I have an engineering back ground and look at things closely before i buy and if i think its badly or cheaply made and i can't find something within a reasonable price i try and make one better (even it it cost more at least i'm happy i didn't spend money on a piece of crap just because of marketing or brand name) i've looked at the forster press and can't see anything wrong with it. I've spoken to a few people that i know and they wouldn't swap anthing for their forster press.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

wifecallsmegrumpy wrote:My understanding is the Co-Ax allows several improvements over the Rock Chucker.

The dies snap in and out, once adjusted.
The floating design means even use of standard dies virtually eliminates runout issues.
The handle on top allows better ergonomics when resizing.

If I get another single stage press it will be the Forster.

EDIT..
I should have also said that if you have the Rock Chucker, perhaps test your loaded rounds for uniformity before spending your hard earned. I have several redding dies sets and have yet to see the need to get the competiton seater, and feel that it's really aimed at those that load multiple load lengths for the same caliber. I struggle to get one load combo going and when I do I lock that bastard in ! LOL
I have to pretty well agree with what WCMG said,the co-ax is good,good dies have more to do with concentric ammo than the press though and most would know my thought on a sloppy press frame to ram clearance :D .....I agree about the lack of need for a comp seater unless adjusting all the time and the screwing of the dies in and out seem to have the propensity for change.......and that's a bastard.
I have a few partner presses and a harrels and use a mixture of S type & comp redding dies,forster ultras,Wilson and factory dies as well and nothing beats a good chamber to die match as far as concentricity goes.sorry for the rambling.

Regards Chris.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

The Rock Chucker will produce accurate enough ammunition if used with good quality dies which are set up correctly. The Forster will do the same job and if you are just after snap in dies then the Lyman T Mag will do that too.

If you are actually really looking for the best possible ammunition then I would suggest you get an arbor press and use inline dies ie Wilson or custom made by your gunsmith to suit the chamber exactly. Thats assuming you actually want the best possible ammo with minimal runout etc
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

Is this a bench rest rifle or a hunting rig?

If it is a hunting / field rifle, sound like you are going a bit over board to me.

JMO :)