222rem & Factory Ammo

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
dave
7mm08 Rem

222rem & Factory Ammo

Post by dave »

kjd, ever used 222 factory ammo ive got an annie with heavy barrel and ive fired it about ten times and getting out of reloading any suggestions not to mention whats a box worth???
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Re: What is your favourite cartridge and why?

Post by Buffy »

dave wrote:kjd, ever used 222 factory ammo ive got an annie with heavy barrel and ive fired it about ten times and getting out of reloading any suggestions not to mention whats a box worth???
Highland shot well out of that rifle.... about $14 a box

Cheers BB :hunting:
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

are you serious? i thought highland ammo was about on par with wolf ammo. 1% of rifles it ws put in go ok the other 99% terrible, how miss informed i am. Il grab some friday!
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Not far off the mark Dave. IMO it's shit ammo....
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Buffy »

tikka wrote:Not far off the mark Dave. IMO it's shit ammo....
Cant be too bad, the donkey that my 15yo brother in law took with a clean one shot kill didnt complain...

also alot of my co-workers rave about its accuracy and performance on big stuff out of a 308,,,

cheers BB :hunting:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: 222rem & Factory Ammo

Post by kjd »

dave wrote:kjd, ever used 222 factory ammo ive got an annie with heavy barrel and ive fired it about ten times and getting out of reloading any suggestions not to mention whats a box worth???
Mate,

The farmer got me some 222rem highland ammo and I tell you mate it shot so Fing well and performed well as well.
I'm talking the 2nd best group I've gotten out of my rifle came with the 50gn sp highland ammo. Buy a box shoot 4 groups see how you go!
Werribee1

Post by Werribee1 »

:wink:

I also thought that Highland ammo was, say "ordinary".

Highland spend a packet seeking to promote the virtues of their ammo and it is very price competitive with the more premium brands.

That said, it is one of the very few brands that are factory loaded in 6.5x55 with 129g bullets.

On several occasions - doubtless there would be more if I could shoot- had 4 bullets touching and the 5th just outside the largeish single hole.

If that was handloaded ammo, I could not complain.

Sure may be that the T3 Varmint barrle just liked that ammo, but I don't care, could not be happier.

Have not tried in .222, but would certainly give it a chance and it is SO much cheaper than the competition.
Mickey
Favourite Cartridge: winchester

Post by Mickey »

Ive ah been a yousen highland ina me 22.250 of a late on bunnys 30 to 250 mts no prob cheers mickey.
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

there's a reason I'm reloading 300+ highland .222 cases. My rem 700 loved that stuff accuracy wise, the bullet was also pretty tough for a varmint cartridge and body shots on smallish goats proved quiet effective. If I wasnt so keen on handloading I'd have stayed with them, though my only complaint was that the velocity was a fair bit slower than most though I forgett by just how much.

Steve
Werribee1

Post by Werribee1 »

Like many others, I thought Highland ammo was , to put it mildly, second rate.

However, when I ran out of "name" brand ammo at Ltl River, bought a packet of Highland 6.5x55, 129g bullets.

Shot from Tikka T3 Varmint.

I am one of the world's worst shots and despite that , have pictures of 3 x 5 shot groups punching one biggish hole - all bullets close together- at 100 metres. Would be rapt it that was a sweet spot handload!

Have tried in other calibres, .222 and Hornet, and top performance again.

Given what they have spent on advertising , if the bullets were rubbish, there would be flaming posts all over the place.

Top value for money and in my Tikkas , more accurate than I need.

Not much more to say other than buy some and see how you go.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

none of the camels or donkeys DRG put down with his 30 06 complained that it was only highland ammo!!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Don't get me wrong. . .

Highland ammo shot great out of my 222rem but I have seen dinner plate sized groups out of a 22-250 as well so its like anything your rifle either loves it or hates it. . . I don't think there is an in between!
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

Not 222 but..........used to reload but don’t shoot as much these days, happy to use factory ammo. I have tried a few different makes but like the post’s above I found Highland SX to be easily as accurate as Remington (Premier Accutip-V) and Winchester (Supreme) in both rifles at half the cost. The Sierra 55gr blitzking and 85gr gameking are just the duck's nuts on game and will hold around half moa on a calm day if I do my bit.

Down side is they have ceased production of the SX line :(
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

Looks like I get to be the wet blanket.

You blokes all had good results with highland ammo, but my T3 in 243 hated highland ammo, I had shavings of brass coming off the case and causing me problems, it even caused a jam. I am guessing because the tikka would have had tight tolerances and the ammo had loose tolerances.

Give it a go eh mate, the previous owner rated it in the rifle so I guess it is kinda like rimfire ammo, shoots in some rifles, doesn't in others.
250-3000
Favourite Cartridge: 250-3000

Post by 250-3000 »

The staple diet of my dads Rem 700 222 has been PMCs, Winchester and now Highland.

All shoot like stink, even after 6000 rounds the rifle still shoots real good.

Its may get a rebarrel one day soon, when the accuracy starts to go real bad.

Might grab a stainless 223 barrel off shane, get him to cut it back and rechamber to 222 again