crimping problem

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Mickey
Favourite Cartridge: winchester

crimping problem

Post by Mickey »

I use supersimplex dyes and having problems crimping for tubular mag in 3030 win may be someone can help. mickey
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: crimping problem

Post by MISSED »

Don`t know much about crimping mate haven1t done it for years and I think then I failed.Knackers has a 30/30 he maybe able to help
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

Best bet is to get yourself a Lee Factory Crimp Die mate. They are great little jiggers, easy and quick to use, simple to set up and inexpensive to buy. You can crimp bullets (gently) that don't have a cannelure, or can crimp into the groove for your .30/30 rounds. Uses the standard thread for your press, or if your Simplex won't take the die, you could always just get one of those Lee Hand Presses. Also pretty cheap.
spinna
.22 WMR

Post by spinna »

Mickey

For getting a good crimp it is essential that all your cases are trimmed to exactly same length
A Lee case trimmer / and case holder that you chuck up in your drill, can be bought for about $25.00
After trimming they need to be chamfered inside and out to remove burrs. A Lee case mouth chamfering tool will cost about $9

I also have a Super Simplex press and 30-30 dies (5/8")
To ensure a nice even crimp, with no bulging crimps or collasping shoulders I use the following method

1 Ensure all cases are trimmed to the same length, and chamfered inside and out
2 Screw seating die into the press until the case mouth just touches the die crimpimg shoulder,
3 Back the die off about 1/4 of a turn, then screw down the locking ring to hold it there
4 Seat the projectiles, adjusting the seating stem so that the projectiles are seated to the top of the Canalure (crimping groove)
5 Do the crimp as a seperate operation, by unscrewing the seating stem and taking it completely out of the die
6 Unscrew the locking ring out of the way, up to near the top of the die
7 Turn the die in about 1/4 of a turn at a time until you feel resistance as the case mouth starts to fold into the groove (don't worry about the locking ring)
8 Lower the handle, screw the die in another 1/4 turn, raise the press handle to give it a bit more of a crimp
9 Have a look at the shell to see of the crimp looks enough. If not repeat step 8

You don't need a real heavy crimp to hold 30-30s in a tube magazine

It also pays to rotate the case in the shell holder about a 1/3 of a turn each time you lower / raise the press handle

Make sense?? or clear as mud??

I also use this method when using my 7/8 x 14 press when loading some bigger cases that need to be crimped

Cheers
Spinna