Primers moving out of case's, 30/30?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Primers moving out of case's, 30/30?

Post by Knackers »

G'day Fellas, wondering what my problem may be? I have a .30/30 Marlin 336 and have put about 600-700 rounds, (mostly reloads and not hot) and tonight when I was inspecting some fired shells I noticed that the primers are hanging out of the case's about .5 of a millimetre. I haven't got a camera good enough to take pics of them. The case's in question are Winchester factory loads, once fired and reloaded with 36gns of W760 and 150gn bullet.
Any ideas please? :wink:
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Primers moving out of case's, 30/30?

Post by paz »

Mate obvious thing would be loose primer pockets, though once fired, nah don't/shouldn't think so.
What about possibly it is not head spacing properly on the case, then when the firing pin is hitting the primer it is driving the case forward a little and this is then giving the primer room to be pushed back out under presser?
Been told by Andy Montgomery to use small pistol primers in my 22H due to something similar to this(small pistol are softer and it stops the case being driven forward due to loosish chamber in my martini and very slight to no neck to headspace off).
Dunno, best i can think of 8) .

Paz
Last edited by paz on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Knackers thats what happened to my first fireforming loads for my 17fb. Pete VM was at the range and told me the case was moving forward allowing this to happen.

This shouldnt be happening with factory rounds, maybe a wise move to have SC check the headspace you may have a sloppy chmber
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

And yer, dont try the pistol primers in a 30/30. That will turn out poorly...
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Mick wrote:And yer, dont try the pistol primers in a 30/30. That will turn out poorly...
Yeh should have clarified, meant as an example only of something similar(sloppy chamber, case driven forward), not a cure.

Paz
brad
.17 HMR

Post by brad »

the 30/30 is a rimmed case it shouldnt be able to move foward in a sloppy chamber should it ?
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

Don't be a girl knackers, put some more powder in them cases! The fireing pin is pushing the cases forward in the chamber and when the powder burns the cases expand and grip the chamber walls and the primer pops out a little till it is stopped by the bolt face but your loads are not heavy enough to push the case head back to the bolt face. I had it happen to me with mild loads in 9.3 with new cases that had not been 'fireformed' to the chamber. You most likely are also makeing the situation worse by resizing the cases to headspace off the rim. Treat them like rimless cases and only bump the shoulder back enough for them to chamber OK and headspace off the shoulder, then you can use mild loads without the primer backing out.

Cheers
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Thanks fellas, I'm seeing Clancy in a couple of weeks so I will get him to check the head space, Now in the mean while, when I get this mini skirt and boob tube off :lol: I'll stop loading like a girl and get it humming and post some results.
Any chice of powder? I have 2208, W760, W748, BM2 and 2206? I'm thinking 2208? cause i have shit loads. :wink:

Cranky are you going to Leeton on the 2/3 August?
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

No Knackers, not going to Leeton

Cheers
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

Remmington 303 factory ammo does that in my 303, but Highland dosnt...

Something to ponder I guess.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

OK today I wacked a few rounds of factory PMC's 150grn, they are not lite loads by any means and I found the same problem with the primers. So I'm thinking a sloppy chamber seems to be the culprit. I will give it to Shane at Leeton and see what he reckons.
Anyone know what can be done to rectify the problem? :wink:
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

I am fairly sure it is a headspace problem mate by the sounds of things.
cheers,
Shane
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Hey Knackers, just a thought on the 336 it wont let you full close the lever if the primers are protruding out .5 of a mil if you try to seat a couple of primers proud of the pocket (if the are seating tight if not pack em or something) and see if you can fully close the lever locking the bolt or if the little trigger safety thing located just behind the trigger in the trigger guard plate where the lever comes in contact with the stock prevents this from happening, if it locks up and sets the trigger I would say you were dealing with head space issues, if my primers are hanging out .5 of a mil the trigger safety kicks in and it doesn’t set the trigger allowing me to pull the trigger and drop the hammer. Sorry I'm not up with the technical terms and I may be barking up the wrong tree but its worth a shot.

All the best
John
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Knackers »

Your onto something there 1K, thanks for that advice, I will give it a go when I have a little time. :wink: