Barnes TSX (Triple Shock) question.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Barnes TSX (Triple Shock) question.

Post by HiWall »

Have just picked up some Barnes TSX 130gr to try in my .270W.

I know there is some issues with high pressure due to the long bearing surface with the normal Barnes X bullet - does the same issue exist with the TSX bullet?

I don't have a Barnes manual so would be using the numbers from Harvey's book which is not bullet specific.
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

Hiwall save yourself any problems and get rid of the damned things. The chances of the barnes been a total flop are better than 50, 50. They just don't shoot. I have tried several different calibers and weights with different powders and charges- 4 in 270- and none group under 5 inches most resembel a shotgun spread. The closest point of impact to the aiming point that most other combos land at or near is 8 inches to the right upper.

If you want to punnish yourself and try them start with harveys lowest load and work up. The barnes book only lists a very limited number of powders.

My book does not list the TSX but does the XLC so I'll give you some loads from that for a 130 grn. H4831=AR2213sc 57 to 61grains H4350 53 to 57grains. RL22 57 to61, RL19 55 to 59 grains.

Best of luck

cheers
Bruza

Post by Bruza »

One also has to be aware of projectile length & twist rate.

Some advocate that proj. length is more important than proj. weight in selecting the right proj. for your twist rate.

This could be one of the reasons why they're getting bad press.

Found a company in South Africa who make custom all copper bullets, & they are adamant regarding proj. length, to the point where they state something like; "you are wasting your time & money selecting copper bullets buy weight for your rifle twist." I can't find the web site at the moment, but will try & find it & post it if anyone is interested, as it was very interesting site.

Barnes state that the grooves (cut out?) reduce pressure, & you can go a grain or two over what's recommended for X bullets. Needless to say approach this with caution.

I saw something as-well about seating them back a fair way, but i can't find that either. :oops:

Have you been to the Barnes site ? You may find some more info there.
http://www.barnesbullets.com/ (found that :o )
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

The advice barnes normaly give is go a weight lighter than you normaly use. eg. 120grn in 270Win instead of 130 grns. tried that didn't work iether.
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

i may put my 5 cents , just make sure that u sit em a bit away from u lands ,barnes dont like to sit close by.worked in my tikka. neck sized brass
only.
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

I'd back that uo Kurcha. The Barnes DVD I got sent by TFBB ages ago said to seat them deeper than you would normally, ie well away from the lands. I tried some in my 7-08, certainly not the best accuracy, but I was getting 1.5" five shot groups generally (best just over 1"). So not a varmint bullet, but I guess most of them are for big game?
Aussie steve
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: ALL of 'em

Post by Aussie steve »

My .340 wby mag loves the 225 grain TSX, shoots accurate penetrates VERY well however its just a pain in the a$$ to clean after about 5 shots, as the copper fouling is BAD.
Steve
kurcha
.22 WMR

Re: Barnes TSX (Triple Shock) question.

Post by kurcha »

TO Feralbuster well as anything else its worth to fdfghjk around with em cose they great big game bullets if not the best very pricy so i had a 6,5 100grn worked a treat for that rifle a few pigs droped like as being elecrticuted :auto:
roscoe

Post by roscoe »

I purchased some triple shocks in .270 and .308. Both are accurate. In a standard factory Remington 700 the .308 x 150 grains will put three shots in an inch, consistently. I have yet to try them on pigs but certainly the results are encouraging.

The 270 was not quite as accurate and averaged 1.3 inches over several groups. If they work as advertised I do not see any problems.

Regards
Roscoe
Rule 303

Post by Rule 303 »

I may of found some Barnes that shoot in one of my rifles. 358 250grain Barnes. loaded to the max that Nick Harvey has listed but they are nearly 300fps slower than what Barnes and harvey say. The groups where almost acceptable about 1.5moa for 3 shot groups. now for some judicesious load development.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

I know my 308 LOVES the new 130gn TTSX tipped triple shocks. It is very accurate with these pills and gets 3100fps with no presure signs. So far they are the most accurate bullet in my 308 and are seated about .040" off the lands. No load work up, just the first load I tried.
Peter O
.22 WMR

Post by Peter O »

I tried their 165's in my .300 win mag and ran into pressure issues straight away. Had to seat the things way back from the lands and still had problems with magazine clearance.
Penetration was good, accuracy was also good, but having to shoot the rifle as a single shot and reduce loads to get away from pressure issues somewhat defeated the purpose so I gave them away as a bad idea.
kurcha
.22 WMR

Post by kurcha »

Hi wall whats barell twist in u 270w?
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

kurcha wrote:Hi wall whats barell twist in u 270w?
Twist is 1:9.5" My normal load is the 140gr NBT, W760, just over 3000fps. Rifle Carl Gustaf M1900.
kurcha
.22 WMR

Post by kurcha »

theoreticaly should be just a ticked just find it try reloader 19 good powder for heavy bullets i know 130 not heavy id say like those 150s in u caliber long , it gives low presures, sit em .03-.05 ''1.27mm away