Brass jacketed bullets instead of copper, ok for bore?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Brass jacketed bullets instead of copper, ok for bore?

Post by paz »

Thinking of trying some of The Bullet Factory's .224 55gr soft points, they are made using spent .22 shells for the jackets.
Do you think there would be any adverse affects of these on the bore of my 22-250, 222 or hornet? I realise i wouldnt be able to push em to hard out of the 250, but would be good enough for plinking and i reckon they should be pretty explosive.

Paz
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Re: Brass jacketed bullets instead of copper, ok for bore?

Post by GriMo »

Hey mate,

On the brinnel scale of hardness pure copper comes in as a 35, Gilding Metal (the stuff brass cases are made out of) rates as a 114. Obviously there will be slight variations between brands and batches etc, but even so it does show the difference in hardness. As a comparrison 304 stainless rates approx 1250. As to if it will damage your barrel im not really sure, but i would also consider possible cleaning difficulties, higher pressures etc. Ultimately it is still softer then your barrel but that doesnt mean it won't have any adverse effects. Hope that helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinell_scale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Paz,

Your sure about he cases part ? I just can't imagine using a case for a jacket is all.........

Maybe they use the 22 projectile like the Bells did ¿

KY
paz
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by paz »

Kenny wrote:Paz,Your sure about he cases part ?
As far as this post on AHN
http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... ic=26343.0
thats what i can tell, not real sure about it, like GriMo said, maybe they are a little hard.

Paz
Jeff 8
.22 WMR

Post by Jeff 8 »

I have used Turton bullets that are made from 22 shells in my 303-22 and 222 for years and not had a problem. If you shoot thousands of rounds you might see a difference. They are not made to the finest tolerance but are cheap.

Jeff

:rifle2: :rifle:
brad
.17 HMR

Post by brad »

i have also used these projectiles made from .22lr shell and they are cheap but effective pest ammo.
if you have concernes go onto AHN, look up the bullet factory, speak to jason( calls himself secantogive) he is the maker.
great bloke will tell you verything you need to know about his product including materials and manufacturing.
i use his other projectiles in .303 and have sampled his other offerings and cant fault them for the price, good simple projectiles that work.