VSSF II 204 first day at the range and didn't get results.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Re: VSSF II 204 first day at the range and didn't get results.

Post by Rinso »

Mick,

I would suggest that you scrap what your doing and start again from scratch. Yes bipods can cause a problem but I doubt this is the main issue here.

I am not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but I think you went into this with very very high expectations and used a load that whilst good in another rifle has not worked in yours. As I don't know exactly how you have developed what you are at now my advice is start again and do you laod development as you have for other rifles in the past ie select powder and starting charge weight using a safe seating depth work up load looking for pressure signs.
Once you have reached that point back off to the most accurate load you found. Now start to adjust seating depth (within the range of the magazine) to find the most accurate depth.

Now after all this yes different primers, powders and bullets will change accuracy levels or require further tuning but I would think you could gain acceptable accuracy by starting from scratch and working through it.

Bring the thing to Leeton and shoot it in factory class on the 19th & 20th April and we might be able to give you some more help. You might even win a new scope (door prize)

cheers
Rinso
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Yeh theres lots of things it could be, check scope mounts so they are tight, make sure the rifle is clean, you can look down the barrel to see if there are any marks on it, it could also use a recrowning for some reason. I know a mates 223 VSSF had to be sent back for a new barrel, as when it was first used (they are pro cullers) they couldnt sight it in better than 2 inches. Halfway down the barrel was a gouge out of one of the lands, dont know how it happened but the barrel was changed and it shot ragged holes.

With your loads, go back to the minimum charge and work up in 0.3gr increments. Load 5 shoot five. Also try different bullets. My 22-250 hated sierra blitzkings but likes hornady vmax and after trying nosler BT's recently, it loves the 50gr BT. There are probably half a dozen bullets that you can try for 20 cal. The gun might not like 2206H, maybe it will like benchmark or a slower powder better. Make sure you necksize your brass, uniform the primer pockets and deburr the flash holes. That will give you a bit more uniformity in the brass, without going to BR brass prep retentiveness.

Try seating the bullet at different depths once you find an accurate powder charge too. Start at 25 thou off the lands and work in to 10 thou off.

You can also make sure the bedding is solid and the barrel is fully free floating.

So many varibles to play with.

Also rifles will settle down more after 100 or so shots. If its brand new, its probably only barely run in, let alone settling down.
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

Mick,
I'd agree with Ned, maybe try a different primer(s) also, it made a lot of difference in my 204.
I'd also agree with Rinso, start again from scratch maybe. I spent a lot of time stuffing around with BM2 before success with 2206H, your rifle may be the opposite!

Worst case scenario is that you have a 'lemon' barrel, as Brad Y hinted with his mate's VSSF, but I haven't read if you had any success with factory ammo?

PS don't worry about the sledging by the older guys about the 204, they are just afraid of new things... :lol: :twisted:
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

Im going with faulty barrell now, shot some factory Hornady and the bullets were keyholeing, its now back with the Importer to see what they come back with.

Shit happens like this unfortunately with mass produced items, hopefully the importer will do the right thing and replace it.

See how it goes.
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

Mick

Not sure of the twist rate in your barrel, but if it's 1 in 12, then it will have trouble stabilising anything above 40 grains. Some even have problems with the 40grainers and have to use the 39 gr blitzkings...

Over and out
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

It was found to have a faulty crown, from your experienecs what do you think of this? Apparently it has been recrowned and is fine now? Still have to pick it up and test it.
Last edited by MickGibbo on Fri May 09, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Remington quality control must be slipping
feralbuster
17 Hornet

Post by feralbuster »

Mick, good chance that was a major contributing factor. To give you an example one of my station mates had his dad's brno recrowned (it had been rattling around in the ute constantly) and it went from 5+" groups at 50yds back to its 5 shots almost down the same hole that it used to get.

Missed, remington quality control doesn't exist! thats why we all have to spend lots of money customising the bloody things (I've got 2 700's):D If you wanted a good gun out of the box you'd just go an buy a tikka or a sako...
Mevo2230
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 9.3*62

Post by Mevo2230 »

I told you not to bother with that seppo garbage mick.

You should have gotten a CZ527, it would have worked out of the box :P

But then again what's the fun in that eh, all the remmie owners love buying all that after market gear to get their rifle to actually shoot :P
MickGibbo

Post by MickGibbo »

Fingers crossed, hopefully that solves the problem.

Mevo I saw the CZ in action and if thats working I would send it back :lol:.

I will have 2 extremes that day, 375 ruger run in and 204 load development.
Mevo2230
17 Hornet

Post by Mevo2230 »

Operator error gibbo, I still suck at shooting from the bags and dont know the cartridge and rifle yet.

I thought I would have had to give that rifle hold over at 300m like the 223.... guess I was mistaken.
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Mevo2230 wrote:
But then again what's the fun in that eh, all the remmie owners love buying all that after market gear to get their rifle to actually shoot :P
Yeah? Aside from the scope I havent spent a cent on mine! :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

MISSED wrote:Remington quality control must be slipping
On this great topic a pro roo culler here bought a VSSF in 223 a couple of years ago. The barrel had nasty scratches on it and it was replaced. Still didnt shoot, they played with bedding and all sorts but still cant get it grouping with any factory ammo- they shoot lots of plain jane 50g soft points and dont handload as its another job to do. Anyway they got a BR style barrel put onto it, very heavy, stainless, reamed out according to how they wanted. Still wont group, even with accutips. The amount of money they have put into it, i reckon they could have bought a tikka, weatherby sub MOA varmint, probably even a sako or kimber.....

I have felt a few remmies but just dont like the feel of them, nor do i like the accuracy reports they keep getting. I will be getting another howa for sure.
Mevo2230
17 Hornet

Post by Mevo2230 »

Model70 wrote:
Mevo2230 wrote:
You must have a defective one then :P
Model70
25/06 Remington

Post by Model70 »

Mevo2230 wrote:
Model70 wrote:
Mevo2230 wrote:
You must have a defective one then :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: