lee collet die

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
bustedleg

Re: lee collet die

Post by bustedleg »

thing to remember with a neck collet die is that you need to exert approx 25 lb force to make the collet work properlyn neck should resize to approx 1 thou of an inch smaller than projectile size.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

trevort wrote:bushing dies work with unturned brass too, you just need the right sized bushing.
Yes trevort but with a collet die you already have the right size no matter what. No trial and error to get the right size bushing, or buying a couple of bushings to find the right neck tension. I have nothing against bushing dies, I just think that not many people are aware of how good collet dies are. And heaps cheaper for those on a limited budget.
cheers
Sam
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

we'll agree to differ. I had one, didnt like it. If you search some forums you will see how the real accuracy buffs order undersize mandrels or turn their own to get what they consider the 'correct' neck tension out of a collet die. I reckon its easier to buy another bushing.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

trevort you're right we disagree :shock: , most people just use them as they come out of the box and get good results, I didn't really have to do anything to mine but often can't resist tweaking improvements in where I can.
5-10 minutes with the mandrel in a drill and some wet + dry paper - piece of cake to do if you have a bit of mechanical aptitude. Decreasing the size of the mandrel is easy, but not always necessary. Some LGS wouldn't know what a bushing die is !!
The writeup on the Aushunt page is spot on...

I did a lot of searching when I first heard about them, and didn't find anything that put me off buying them. They may not make BR grade ammo like a bushing type die can but you can get a 3 die set in popular cals for under $80.
For the shooter with a factory rifle, for shooting at average distances, I say it's a bonus not to have to bother with case lube, not have to pay a lot extra to get a neck sizing die, and load accurate ammo (assuming all the other factors are sorted)
I do agree with the comments about the lock ring being crap though.....Some Lee stuff is great, some not so good.
cheers
Sam
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Sam I was thinking about this debate (well does 2 posts make a debate?) before I signed on. My smart arse side was thinking, why dont BR shooters use them if they are any good. I answered my own question which sort of agrees with you, you dont need BR ammo for hunting. You can make damm fine hunting ammo with only a FLS die. So each to their own I suppose.

Your dead right about the LGS, you wont buy your spare bushings in there.