Last trip to the range before Christmas

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Last trip to the range before Christmas

Post by The Raven »

I decided to run down to the Little River (Eagle Park) range today as it's the last day they are open until the New Year and I wanted to try out some new loads and projectiles. The weather was excellent with just a hint of breeze but a bit of shimmer at 100m (and one guy claimed he could see his hits at 200m).

All up a productive day as I learnt a little more about what I'm doing. So here's the results, noting that I would like some opinions on the primers...

First up are the targets. Read Left to Right, Top to Bottom. I started with some Hornady 55gn SP with cannelure and then moved to some Sierra 55gn Blitzkings.
IMG_4138.JPG
Based on my previous visit I loaded up the Hornady with 25, 25.2, and 25.4gn of 2206H. Looks like 25.2 is the go.

Target 4 through 8 are Sierra with 24,24.5, 25, 25.2, 25.4. Ignore the groups either side of target 4...they are from the second target I stuck over the top.

Lastly the second target using Seirra with 25.6 and 25.8gn
Blitzking_256 and 258.jpg
These last group was definitely impressive (at least to me). Having said that though I'd like some thoughts on pressure signs on the primers.
IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
The first three columns cover the Hornady loads, with 4 onwards with Blitzkings. My scrawled loads on the lid align with each group of 5.

To my eyes the Hornady loads show no signs of pressure, but the Sierra loads show a bit of flattening with cratering starting at 25.4gn.

What's the expert opinion on these primers?

FWIW this is only my second batch of handloads....
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Re: Last trip to the range before Christmas

Post by The Raven »

Oh, I should mention that I used different primers in the Hornady and Sierra. Both were CCI primers, Hornady used BR-4 and Sierra 400.

Interestingly, I noticed the BR-4 have a small mark on each out of the box (B I think) which are faintly visible near the pin strike. So don't factor that into reading pressure indications.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Raven,

Primers all look OK to me. Missed was telling me that the CCI 400s are softer in the cup than BR4s (or Rem 7 1/2s), so that might be your answer. The cratering might be that the firing pin is a little smaller in diameter than the firing pin hole in the bolt head. Was the bolt lift easy? Can you rechamber the fired cases?

The Sierra 25.8gn load looks very good. I would also try another set of the Sierra 24.5gn load.

Marcus
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

Hi Raven,

The primers look OK. A little bit of cratering as Marcus has already mentioned, but the edges still look round.
What does everyone else reckon.

The 25.8 sierra group is very impressive, and Marcus has picked the 24.5gn load as having very little spread vertically. Go out and repeat both of those (and a 26gn to complete the set!)

Also try some more powder with the hornadys. You can go up to 26gn of 2206H with both of those projectiles.

Cheers
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Branxhunter wrote:Raven,

Primers all look OK to me. Missed was telling me that the CCI 400s are softer in the cup than BR4s (or Rem 7 1/2s), so that might be your answer. The cratering might be that the firing pin is a little smaller in diameter than the firing pin hole in the bolt head. Was the bolt lift easy? Can you rechamber the fired cases?

The Sierra 25.8gn load looks very good. I would also try another set of the Sierra 24.5gn load.

Marcus
Interesting on the primers, I'll have to watch for that again. I don't think the pin is much smaller than the bolt head, but it's not something I've really taken a look at.

Bolt was easy to close and open after every shot and ejection was 100% normal....open slowly and the neck flips out of the port so you can easily grab it, normal 'hunting' cycle it ejects cleanly.

I haven't tried rechambering the fired cases, however this is their second trip through the rifle with only neck sizing. I'll try chambering a few, particularly those that show any cratering.

Appreciate the advice.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

223 fanboy wrote:Hi Raven,

The primers look OK. A little bit of cratering as Marcus has already mentioned, but the edges still look round.
What does everyone else reckon.

The 25.8 sierra group is very impressive, and Marcus has picked the 24.5gn load as having very little spread vertically. Go out and repeat both of those (and a 26gn to complete the set!)

Also try some more powder with the hornadys. You can go up to 26gn of 2206H with both of those projectiles.

Cheers
That's good to hear on the cratering etc. I can see it but can't determine whether that's "Bad" cratering or "OK".

Yes, I loved the last group with Sierra. It'll be worth trying the suggested loads.

26gn fills these OSA cases, so that's as far as I'd dare go.

Overall the groups may improve as I get more consistent reloading. While I did the same voodoo on each case, a beginner is likely to introduce some minor variation as they learn the technique.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Oh, what's the thoughts on the 25.2gn loads, both projectiles were yielding similar groups...
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Don't worry about a little cratering mate, most rifles do it to some degree, its not worth worrying till you get a hole in the primer where it has been hit by the pin, then you know you have gone a bit far. I have loaded some cases where the primer was totally flat and filled the primer hole, these weren't max load, just soft primers. some of those loads look bloody good for a factory rifle, just load whichever one goes the best and use that.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington

Post by 223 fanboy »

The Raven wrote:Oh, what's the thoughts on the 25.2gn loads, both projectiles were yielding similar groups...
They're OK but the 25.8gn sierra is the best so far.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Last groups a cracker ..well done
Cheers Mark
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

FWIW, it's very hard to judge a target shot at little river without wind flags and the ability to read them.

You seem to be near the mark though with your loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Your addicted now aren't you? If you aren't getting some pressure signs on your primers you aren't really trying :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Yep, getting addicted a bit. The 223 hadn't been out since the Missathon, in the last week or so it's been down to the range three times...

Now I'm thinking about buying dies etc for the 308... :roll:
223 fanboy
.223 Remington

Post by 223 fanboy »

The Raven wrote:Now I'm thinking about buying dies etc for the 308... :roll:
A mans got to have a hobby
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

pretty dumb to have all the gear and buy factory loads!

Wanna borrow a set of 308 dies for 6 weeks?