About to bite the bullet

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

About to bite the bullet

Post by The Raven »

This weekend I plan to do my first reloads, having acquired all the bits and pieces and lots of good advice from the guys here. Cases are prepped and I'm ready to go.

So, with that in mind I'm down to some final questions to confirm my course of action.

I'm reloading .223 Rem and using 2206H powder with Hornady 55 GR SP projectiles.

The ADI online reloading data doesn't have a specific load for these projectiles but looking at similar powder combinations suggests a starting load of 21gr. Do the experts here concur?

Whilst it may be a bit early to starting working up loads, I figure it's worth trying a few different loads at the conservative end of the scale. What sort of increments should I use, I've read 0.1gr to 0.5gr. Going up in 0.1gr increments seems tedious, but 0.5 sounds way too adventurous for my first attempt. Please enlighten me...

Any final suggestions?

Yes, I'm taking it slowly and won't rush things. Safety first, with Mrs Raven having already warned me not to blow myself or the house up...
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: About to bite the bullet

Post by 223 fanboy »

Hey Raven,

I'm not one of the experts but willing to kick things off.

2206H, 55gn speer softpoint. ADI 6th edition
starting load 25gn
max load 26gn

I've had no problems with 26gn of 2206H behind 55gn speer softpoints and 55gn sierra super-roo.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

A good rule of thumb for increments is 1% of the charge. I use 0.3gr increments in the 223 case.

Take your time and follow a set procedure and it will be all good.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

well I must admit to thinking "just follow the manual, why try to complicate things" and then I see two responses and one has a charge miles away from what you posted.

So I thought I would check the manual. Wow, isn't that complicated! :D Even pills with the same weight have different recommended loads!

I think 223FB has picked the right pill and powder combo and Jason's 0.3 increments to get close is also good advice although that load only has one grain between min and max.

In my experience all but one of my rifles likes loads at or near max but I also had a warning when I changed a barrel that you shouldn't make assumptions and always be safe.

So what would I do if I was you about to load my first rounds and not wanting to blow myself up?

I would fire one a 22, one at 22.5 one at 23, 23.5, 24, 24.5 and then groups at 25, 25.3, 25.6. 25.8 and 26

those single shots are just to inspect brass, primer, ease of bolt lift, ease of rechambering fired case, looking for pressure. In case we did pick the wrong pill in the manual so we don't start to high and have trouble.

Then expecting the range to be between 25 and 26 that's were I would be testing groups for what my rifle likes
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

That is good advice Trevort. I do the same and should have mentioned that earlier.

Attached is a simple calculator for a test series. Only fire the next powder increment if the earlier one shows no pressure signs.
Attachments
Test load calculator template.xlsx
(11.24 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Thanks for the info guys.

Trevor, I liked your advice so took it!

No-one told me that reloading was like time travel! I sat down this afternoon and now its several hour later.

I now have a bunch of shiny rounds to try.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Did you make a dummy and make sure it chambers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

And it's a hobby in itself. It can be relaxing

DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Just the same as everyone has said do not fire the next 1 if signs of pressure, i have not stopped at the manuals maximum yet

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

trevort wrote:Did you make a dummy and make sure it chambers
Yes Trevor, I did. Spent a lot of time mucking around to ensure I had things right and could see what was happening. That's not to say these are perfect, but I'm confident they will do OK.

I may have to arrange an excuse to be down near Little River way next week. Do we have any AV'ers at Barwon? :roll:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Sounds like your good to go. When are you going?

The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

trevort wrote:Sounds like your good to go. When are you going?
I'm thinking Friday arvo, but could be tempted to go Thursday. All depends on work and whether I can find an excuse to abscond...
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

The Raven wrote:
I'm thinking Friday arvo, but could be tempted to go Thursday. All depends on work and whether I can find an excuse to abscond...
Sounds as if you have everyhting sorted.

Pity your starting to look a bit pale. Tough it out at work till Thursday, then you will need a break. :lol:

Bruce
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

B4408 wrote:
The Raven wrote:
Sounds as if you have everyhting sorted.

Pity your starting to look a bit pale. Tough it out at work till Thursday, then you will need a break. :lol:

Bruce
Cough, cough. I'm not feeling so good :spew:

In fact I was so sick I woke up early this morning and thought "Bugger It! I'm off to Little River". So I loaded up the bus and headed off at the crack of dawn.

I'm glad to report my first reloading experience was a success. Worked my way up through the rounds and not a sign of pressure or other undesirables.

Pictures of the target showing how it went will be posted for review later. It would be good to get some opinions on it.
Sako 22-250
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by Sako 22-250 »

Should have been a good morning for it,much of a crowd ?
Mark