Reloading

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
pugster1k
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

Reloading

Post by pugster1k »

I am new to the whole reloading term.

Do you recommend this and am I correct in thinking that it will be cheaper than buying ammo?

Whats the cost difference for say .22, 338. Bare in mind i've never shot more than a .22

I will be starting back on the .22 but want to move up slowly.

The more cost effective way would be reloading? Or is it that technical I should leave it until someone can show me?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Reloading

Post by MISSED »

You are entering dangerous ground and must be aware of all the risks if the dark arts.

Reloading is not difficult as long as you follow some basic principles.
Can I suggest buying a reloading manual.
Then read it followed by asking as many questions on here you can come up with.
Even if you think it is a dumb question as the only dumb question is the one not asked.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

You can't reload a 22. If you want cheap buy a 223 as bulk factory ammo is as cheap or cheaper than reloading. Most of us don't load to save money. We load to make better ammo tuned to our rifles for ultimate accuracy potential. Like the best equipment can compensate for a little bit of the skill deficiency in my theory book!!!

Others of us load coz we get a kick out of having something different, something you can't buy ammo at the shop for
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

what calibre you choose will depend on what your wanting to shoot.
if your going with .22 buy a few box's to try,find out what your rifle likes [gives the best groups with]
then later,you can look at moving up to reloading.
mind you,the ammo you make is cheaper,BUT the equipment is not so.

best to stick with a 22 and a GOOD scope for the time being.magnum or standard is up to you.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Baring in mind you have only shot a 22, forget all about reloading until you are proficient with your shooting rimfires. After you get a centre fire, learn to shoot that, then worry about reloading.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

yup ...i agree.
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Thank you all for the advice it really helps and I am definately getting a rim fire 22 cal. Just working out which one to get it the problem lol..Can you try before you buy? .. What is a magnum? Is that a scope type?
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

Hi pugster 1k,
For me, the old venerable Brno/cz is the one that floats my boat.
In fact I'm thinking of getting myself another one to put back in the safe.
A magnum is the name supplied to a cartridge, slightly improved if you like, over the parent cartridge eg. 22 and 22 magnum, 222 and 222 magnum
These things you'll find out as you go along.
Buy yourself an iPad and Google, google, google. It's amazing what info you can find out from the net.
God luck with it.
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Just remember pugster that some web advice is worth what you paid for it. Get along to a range and look and listen and ask questions.

Where abouts are you mate. Happy to help get you started on the right track.
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Teepee wrote:Hi pugster 1k,
For me, the old venerable Brno/cz is the one that floats my boat.
In fact I'm thinking of getting myself another one to put back in the safe.
A magnum is the name supplied to a cartridge, slightly improved if you like, over the parent cartridge eg. 22 and 22 magnum, 222 and 222 magnum
These things you'll find out as you go along.
Buy yourself an iPad and Google, google, google. It's amazing what info you can find out from the net.
God luck with it.
Thank you. I did google it but only came up with the pistol and I was a tad confused. ha-ha
chappo555 wrote:Just remember pugster that some web advice is worth what you paid for it. Get along to a range and look and listen and ask questions.

Where abouts are you mate. Happy to help get you started on the right track.
I am from Sydney and would love all the help I can get. Thank you for the offer I appreciate it.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I believe that magnum is a name that was borrowed/stolen from the wine industry, it really just means that the container (cartridge case) is bigger than normal, refer to the size of a magnum of champagne compared to a standard wine bottle. Bigger cartridge case/bottle equals bigger capacity for powder or plonk. :wink:
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

Camel wrote:I believe that magnum is a name that was borrowed/stolen from the wine industry, it really just means that the container (cartridge case) is bigger than normal, refer to the size of a magnum of champagne compared to a standard wine bottle. Bigger cartridge case/bottle equals bigger capacity for powder or plonk. :wink:
Good analogy :)
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

if your near st maries theres an indoor range there.
if ya can,drop by and ask questions,have a look and see if theres a club gun you can have a go at.
i hear it is a good set up.

sean.
Teepee
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 20-250

Post by Teepee »

What I was referring to with the google search was really to do research on various cartridges.
On a regular basis I come across different cartridges that I've never heard of eg 22TCM, so a quick search and usually I will come up with an answer of what it is, parent cartridge ballistics etc you get the idea.
Got to agree though, the only way to learn is to go and try different things out and learn from others who have already done it. Also, as others have said, there is no such thing as a dumb question.
pugster1k

Post by pugster1k »

LoneRider wrote:if your near st maries theres an indoor range there.
if ya can,drop by and ask questions,have a look and see if theres a club gun you can have a go at.
i hear it is a good set up.

sean.
Thanks. Will go out there