Bullet puller?

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Bullet puller?

Post by MISSED »

Knipex Side Cutters Just grip the projie in tight to the hinge.

Have tried Kinetic pullers and both Hornady and Forster collet pullers
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I use a Hornady cam lock bought it because I have a big box of military 308's that I
pull the FMJ projie and replace with a 130gn SST or something similar as they are
berdan primed I don't have to worry about picking up the brass.
Cheers
Ol 55
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Have been using a kinetic puller and found them a lot of work with light projectiles.
Then came across these bullet gripper pliers. http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php? ... ts_id=1230
Gripper
Gripper
_images_FullSet_large a.jpg (114.78 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
So I made a very basic set for myself with a piece of 3x50 flat steel, drilled some holes and used a chainsaw file to size the holes just right, then used a thin cut off wheel in the angle grinder to split the steel, engraved the calibre beside hole.
Not as pretty but does the job, hopefully don't have to use it to often. :oops: If I had a lot to do I would put something on the handles.
DSC02265a.jpg
DIY bullet gripper
(72.54 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Gripper in use
Gripper in use
DSC02264a.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Simple and doesn't mark the bullet, a step up from pliers.
Bruce
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Been waiting for someone to come up with a do-it-yourself model, well done Bruce. I'd like mine with 17, 20, 22, 7mm, 30, and 338 please mate. :wink: :lol:

Oh yeah, Ill have the handles as well. :P
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

Good job, too much effort for me. I'll always take an easier option if the price is reasonable.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Camel wrote:Been waiting for someone to come up with a do-it-yourself model, well done Bruce. I'd like mine with 17, 20, 22, 7mm, 30, and 338 please mate. :wink: :lol:

Oh yeah, Ill have the handles as well. :P
Hmmmmmm..........expecting a few stuff ups are you.....you don't want handles the thin metal will remind you to be more careful in the future. :D
Seddo wrote:Good job, too much effort for me. I'll always take an easier option if the price is reasonable.
Yep understand. I like the challenge of making things from what is lying around the shed....now I've had this piece of stainless round bar sitting under the bench, just need a long drill bit, file and now have a photo of a Stiller...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

B4408 wrote:........(snip).......... I like the challenge of making things from what is lying around the shed....now I've had this piece of stainless round bar sitting under the bench, just need a long drill bit, file and now have a photo of a Stiller...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce
Good luck with that! :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

B4408 wrote:Have been using a kinetic puller and found them a lot of work with light projectiles.
Then came across these bullet gripper pliers. http://www.hss.net.au/product_info.php? ... ts_id=1230
_images_FullSet_large a.jpg
So I made a very basic set for myself with a piece of 3x50 flat steel, drilled some holes and used a chainsaw file to size the holes just right, then used a thin cut off wheel in the angle grinder to split the steel, engraved the calibre beside hole.
Not as pretty but does the job, hopefully don't have to use it to often. :oops: If I had a lot to do I would put something on the handles.
DSC02265a.jpg
DSC02264a.jpg
Simple and doesn't mark the bullet, a step up from pliers.
Bruce

Great job there . Well done
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Bullet puller?

Post by Curtley78 »

The bullet gripping pliers are the way to go.

You can buy these from most custom gun smiths and suppliers such as PVM or BRT. You can also order them from the US.

Kinetic bullet pullers are a waste of time and effort and that generally lead to damaged projectiles and powder everywhere.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Curtley78 wrote:The bullet gripping pliers are the way to go.

You can buy these from most custom gun smiths and suppliers such as PVM or BRT. You can also order them from the US.

Kinetic bullet pullers are a waste of time and effort and that generally lead to damaged projectiles and powder everywhere.

While I haven't ever used the plier type pullers, and have only had to use the side-cutter method on a couple of occasions, I have used a Kinetic hammer type pullet for well over 30 years, still on the same one that I purchased originally, I will have to say your last sentence is wrong if they are used properly. The bullets are not marked in any way except if they are crimped into the case, and then it is the case that marks the sides of the bullet, and I have never had powder spilled.
I will say that they are pretty useless when pulling 17, but they do a good job on all my other calibres. The only bit that isn't the same as it was when I first got it, is the aluminium collar that holds onto the rim, and that has only started getting knocked around lately, I pulled 50 300Win Mag crimped in factory Norma projectiles and the belt on the case slipped through on one case. I have seen a few that have broken where the handle attaches, but I put that down to the chance of a faulty product or hamfistedness of the operator, mostly the latter. :D
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Kinetic hammers work better with heavier projectiles (less force required).

They're no good for soft tipped projectiles or projectiles that you've spent hours meplating and pointing.

I've bashed plenty of rounds out over the years and lost too many to count because of the hammer.

The time and effort required in bashing away with a kinetic puller is done in a third of the time with the pliers and you don't damage nicely pointed projectiles.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Ever tried putting something soft into the bottom of the hammer to catch the projectile?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

My old one has little ridges that cats and stop the projectile from going to the bottom and denting the tips. The powder ends up below the projectile. Obviously not when using things like magnums and large capacity cases. :D
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

DSD wrote:Ever tried putting something soft into the bottom of the hammer to catch the projectile?
I use an ear plug!

Works good with V-Max an A-Max projectiles!

Glenn
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Yes, I have a few bits of flannelette in mine.

Using the pliers with the press is the way to go.