.20 tactical

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
17hmr
.243 Winchester

.20 tactical

Post by 17hmr »

can someone give me some info on what they are, how i go about getting one built (what action,etc), performance, any and all information you might have. thinking of have one built in the coming months when i get my other rifle back.
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

It's a 204Rugger, but based on the 223 case instead of the 222Mag case.
Read the article in the current (September) Australian Shooters Journal about one man's custom; enlightening, but his is a 17 tactcal, so the 20 should be better!
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

1. What are they?
Its a 223rem necked down to .204 with the standard sholder angle etc.

2. How do I got about getting one built?
Well, if it was me I'd be making a decision about what action etc, and getting in touch with shane, who did my 6-250 and the work and performance can't be faulted. His communication is excellent and he was a pleasure to deal with.

3. What action?
Well, thats really the hardest part, do you buy a custom action at around $1,500 or do you use a factory action that you have around in the safe, or do you buy a cheap howa/tikka/savage/rem and ditch the barrel and use that? What action will have the parts avaliable? Do people make a suitable stock for your dream rifle?

4. Performance etc..
Well, if you use a decent action (factory or otherwise) and a custom barrel, smithed by someone like Shane, you will more than likely get < 0.5" at 100m performance.

-Arch
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

If you are looking at a totally new rifle, action and all AND you are buying a custom action, then all is well. BUT if you are going to buy a factory one and throw (sell) the barrel away.. t

the question has to be asked, why not go for a .204Ruger?
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

Check out the 20 Cal section at http://www.6mmbr.com. They have a veritable plethora of 20 cals to choose from with all the bumph that goes along with each - like load data, how to form cases, velocity, etc.

I had my 20 Practical built by Shane. Used a 2nd hand Rem 700 in .222 with a new 24" Lilja barrel. I'm only using once fired PMC brass but some of the groups were in the .15 of an inch at 100yds!! You can check out the 20 Practical info under Guns of the Week at the same website - I think it's week 63?

I form brass by running through a Redding Type S die first with a .243 bushing, then a .233 bushing and lastly a .228 bushing. Then have to trim to length. Am using 40 grain V-maxes at the moment. Not sure of velocity.

Hope this answers some of the questions for you! Enjoy.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

The 20 prac is simply the 223 necked down. The 20 tac has a few more steps in the case forming, I believe the neck is longer and the shoulder angle different but it also starts with a 223 case. Some US accuracy shooters build these rather than buy a 204 simply due to the availability of Lapua brass.

Lapua made a batch of 20 Tac brass for Dakota in the states. I dont know how easy it would be for us to get. I also wonder that if Lapua tooled up to make this then how long before it ends up on there product list!