Winchester 50 pack 45gn JHP bullets.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Re: Winchester 50 pack 45gn JHP bullets.

Post by cam_mackps2 »

When i first got my 223 is used the ammo in question.
It shot accurately, i used it for the running in & used the rest for rabbits and hares.

I did have 1 hare I shot Boxing Day '06 (remember because the Mum's family had just left when i saw it). I shot it around 100-150m.
No exit but was like jelly touching the skin.
The internal damage was incrediable, with a tiny entry wound. What amazed me was the hares back legs were both broken, was told hydrostatic shock could do that.

From memory it was $25-30 for 50 back then. I reload now but it would be hard to pass up the 55gr PSP in the same bulk packs. I got some of it 12-18months ago for $34 for 50.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

alex1 wrote:Out of interest trev, what would you suggest for a beginer? thats not to slow. Is there one particular package you can pick or do you have to mix and match?
not too slow? the beginner or the press?

Presses arent fast or slow, they go as fast as you can put a case in the holder and pull the handle!

The press is the weak link in the anniversary kit imho for the reasons stated. The Lee Classic cast press is very strong if you want Lee.

No kit I know of has absolutely everything. if you buy a lee Kit you can still buy RCBS or redding dies as the kits normally dont have dies.

If you want to buy once cry once buy a rockchucker supreme kit
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

Plowboy wrote:
doidge5781 wrote:My howa .223 loved them used them on everything from rabbits to goats would shoot them into 10c piece at 100m never used anything else.
How much were you buying them for? $1 a pop for me and that's .25c a pop more expensive than my usual. They shoot ok no doubt but not enough to justify a change.

I was getting them from melbourne for about $32-34.50 a box of 50
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

doidge5781 wrote:I was getting them from melbourne for about $32-34.50 a box of 50
Yeah OK I maybe price have risen or maybe my area just sux for prices because of bugger all competition
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Well I have to say this stuff uses a lot cleaner burning than the american eagle stuff. Looking into the barrel(of course checking for empty chamber and bolt out) shows bugger all soot in the barrel. But the american eagle stuff lookedike an old .22!

However just got a reloader now and looking for good brass not so much cheap now I think.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Plowboy wrote:Well I have to say this stuff uses a lot cleaner burning than the american eagle stuff. Looking into the barrel(of course checking for empty chamber and bolt out) shows bugger all soot in the barrel. But the american eagle stuff lookedike an old .22!

However just got a reloader now and looking for good brass not so much cheap now I think.
Have you been saving your brass mate?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag

Post by Plowboy »

Yeah mate got just about all the brass I shot since new. got about 400 cases. Mostly federal with the crimp but not too bad. I did hear some bad things about the FC cases. Aparently there were some bad batches. then others say no worries. That was from amaerican forums so it maybe related to ARs I dunno. Anyway havent loaded any feds yet. Loaded some of these and they are OK but found that there is some inconsistancies in the primer pockets. Some are nice and firm going in and others slip in with not much effort.