scope covers and lens covers

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
MAWLER

scope covers and lens covers

Post by MAWLER »

Hi guys,

Now that I'm owning a couple of nicer scopes (as in over $100 worth :)) I am looking to take care of them a bit more. I was having a look on sinclairs at the 'scope coats' which look like a really good idea for in the safe to just give that extra protection from scratches and dust etc. I havn't seem them over here in any of my LGS, before I order in from the states i like to try and source stuff locally if possible, anyone know where I can get some?

Also on the butler creek style flip up covers, what is the exact intention of these - walking along during the stalk or between patches you have the lens protected and then flip them up when onsite? Are they worth it or just a PIA, they would seem a bit awkward to me, take extra time when presented with a shot and also something extra to get caught/break off etc. More of a varmint over a warren type application? Or just Tacticool? Any comments from ppl who use them...
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: scope covers and lens covers

Post by 223 fanboy »

I have a pair of flipups on my scope. Really like them. They're real good for keeping dust off the scope lenses while driving around spotlighting.

Mine have the see though bits in the flip ups. If you forget to flip them up you get a blurry view through the scope. Doesn't take long to get the habit of flipping them up before a shot.

Sometimes I'll bump them open, but it's no big deal, just close them up again.
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

I’ve got them on a couple of rifles and they are ok for protecting the lenses but in all honesty probably more takticool than practicool if your running a variable they are a big pain in the butt because although you set them to open without catchin or hangin up on anything as soon as ya change the magnification they will get caught up on the action or interfere with your bolt throw.
If ya think about it if your shooting over long ranges you got all the time in the world but you also aren’t as hard banging up your gear and ya lenses generally stay in pretty good order and when your in thick scrub where your gear gets knocked around a lot more they are just to clumsy and slow, I guess like most things you cant have the best of both worlds :( :( :( the nice thing about the full foam type covers is they protect the whole scope body but who ever remenders to put them on they normally just stay in your pocket or float around in the ute. BTW this is just my experience and others may find them just tacti/practi cool.

All the best
John
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

I like the scope coat things for in the safe or travelling, but when hunting I use Butler Creek/Uncle Mikes Bikini scope covers. Bloody great, no dust or moisture at all on the lenses and really easy and quick to get off the scope when a shot presents. Also very quiet.
Attachments
bikini.jpg
bikini.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 178 times