importing rifle stock and trigger

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
StevenB
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

importing rifle stock and trigger

Post by StevenB »

I'm looking at importing a microfit rifle stock, what do I need to do?

I'm also looking at a Timney trigger, these are available in Australia but the prices I have found so far make them twice as much as the cost from the states

I've found info saying that I need to fill out a B709 form, does this need to be sent to the seller?
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Re: importing rifle stock and trigger

Post by cam_mackps2 »

StevenB wrote:I'm looking at importing a microfit rifle stock, what do I need to do?

I'm also looking at a Timney trigger, these are available in Australia but the prices I have found so far make them twice as much as the cost from the states

I've found info saying that I need to fill out a B709 form, does this need to be sent to the seller?
I believe Timney send directly to Australian customers. You need to get the B709 before the order is sent and if you get a copy put on the box customs may let it slip by without needing the original.
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

The stock should not be a problem, the trigger is another story.

It is possible, you will need a B709 paperwork to get it into Australia, very slow but possible.
The problem is getting gun related stuff out of the states. You need a export permit, It used to cost $70 but USA laws have changed and it can be as high as $300us if you can find someone to do it. Make some calls, get some real prices, I think you will find the AUS prices compare.
I bought my Jewel local, even when I imported my custom action.

If you find some prices I would like to hear about them.
Brett
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

There wad a group buy on AHN for Richards stocks contact 'TheLott' on AHN to see if it's still going or if you can tack an order on the end of it
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Too late for the group buy, was finalised before Xmas and a few stocks have arrived in Oz already. We're waiting to find out the final freight costs, postage wasn't cheap.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Export permits (on the US side) are generally applied on goods over US$100, so if the Timney is under that you wont need to pay the export paperwork fees ... but some charge it automatically.

A stock and trigger may be better broken into two separate items as the fees are applied when total goods exceeds the US$100 threshold.

Your B709 can be faxed to them and added in the box ... sometimes that helps, sometimes they get through without being inspected, sometimes they'll stop your goods and ask for the original. Treat them nice and Customs are bloody excellent to deal with. If you apply for your B709 after the date of seizure ... then apply and get a B709 ... well you've just admitted to trying to 'by-pass' the system. They can take it to Court if they decide your not a nice person to deal with. Morale of the story ... get the B709 in first ... bonus being one B709 lasts for 6 months ... and you can keep ordering stuff!

The B709 (or Australian Attorney General permission) counts for nought on items being restricted out of the States (and the list keeps growing! :evil: ) ... barrels at 50cal or above for instance. Which begs the question ... how do you get a 12/20guage barrel?
Cheers...
Con
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Hey Con I have a question or anyone that know may answer,say you have a b709a for a barrel and the barrel is inspected at customs,they send you a letter of notice to inform that a permit is required.
Do I physicaly have to go to customs to collect or can I send the b709a to them and then they forward the barrel to me via post/courier????..................yes I am waiting for it to turn up.......................hope I dont have to actually go there.

Regards Chris.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Well ... I got pinged for cases ... guy sending the reloading dies threw in 'a few' ... like 35! :lol:

If your barrel is 'late' in arriving, its probably being held by Customs. You will get a letter in the mail (registered) to call them regarding an item seized. The seizure notice on mine stated "35 brass casings".

When you call, they'll be asking you to explain ... in my case I told them I didnt know it was in there (didnt know there were 35!), and we had a laugh because a lot of US businesses throw in freebies not realising. Its actually VERY common! I wasnt interested in getting a B709 so emailed them to destroy the cases (they require permission), and they then released the dies into the postal system. A mate had a barrel held, they requested the B709, he faxed it to them and the barrel was released into the postal system. Another barrel was sent with the B709 includede in the boz around the barrel, it was opened, and forwarded with no contact made.

A 0.620" barrel however has been stopped from being exported on the US side despite a B709 and Australian Attorney General okay. Mate is now in the process of double checking that the relevant authorities on their side have our notice of 'okay', but its not looking good. We could try exporting as a 20guage barrel, but its already chambered to 600Overkill. Australian authorities have no problems with a 0.620" rifle as long as its for sporting and has no military application.
Cheers...
Con
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

Con thanks for that,I had the permit before the barrel was sent/arrived..........................well I hope customs have it as its been a while.I was worried that I may have to pick it up in person......................800klm+ round trip soon eats into any savings made :oops:

Regards Chris.
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

chris.tyne wrote:Hey Con I have a question or anyone that know may answer,say you have a b709a for a barrel and the barrel is inspected at customs,they send you a letter of notice to inform that a permit is required.
Do I physicaly have to go to customs to collect or can I send the b709a to them and then they forward the barrel to me via post/courier????..................yes I am waiting for it to turn up.......................hope I dont have to actually go there.

Regards Chris.
I had an experience with Brisbane Customs regarding import of of a trigger. A faxed copy of the B709 was enclosed with the package and acknowledged in their letter to me advising their withholding of the parcel. They requested the original because it could be re-used. Anyhow the original sent was subsequently lost, so I had to re-apply for a new B709 and request the prior one to be cancelled. Qld Police did it in a couple of days due to the circumstance which was excellent service.

Given this experience, suggest if an original copy B709 is sought, keep a photocopy and send original by registered post.

In regards export permits required on the US side, I have run into a few firms who fudge :roll: the declaration by saying tools or measuring instruments and also noting cost at less than $100...luck of the draw :D
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

chris.tyne wrote:Con thanks for that,I had the permit before the barrel was sent/arrived...
The gear I received with no problems took 3 weeks from Sth Carolina. The package seized was 5 weeks and I got the letter in the sixth week.
Cheers...
Con