Bases & rings-Alloy or steel.?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Bases & rings-Alloy or steel.?

Post by native hunter »

G"day All
Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on the above type rings and bases.
When I ordered the new gun I ordered steel rings and bases with it, but when i picked it up the bases & rings had not arrived so I opted for the alloy variety that were in stock, I dont think it would make a big difference with low end recoil but may be of concern on big kickers.
I have heard before that steel mounts may move a bit as they heat up, but I dont know how much truth is in this.
What are your thoughts.?
Regards
Damien Webb.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Steel mounts will heat up but so will alloy ones also basically all alloy is two or more elements mixed together one of them at least being metallic. Depending on the mix alloy is pretty damn reliable and steel is one of the strongest metals out there so i guess it will probably come down to price, finish and generally what you prefer. That being said i use leupold mounts and single bases on my centrefire, never used the two peice base just think there is more chance of something moving....maybe?
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

It depends a lot on the design of the base and rings. I have seen some very poor steel and alloy units. But some very good ones in both two.

Alloy bases are the worst due to the size of them, they are mostly too thin and can flex a lot when bumped. Alloy rings are usually solid enough but are mostly made too suit those thin alloy bases which becomes the weak point.

One peice bases are good when fitted properly. They never fit perfectly with the action and therefore apply stress to the action and themselves when tightened down.

Regardless of which you have the ring assembly should be lapped when fitted. This is very important so as to remove any missalignment and remove any stress applied to the action or scope when the rings are tightened and also help prevent dents in scope tubes.

The best thing to do is buy the best quality steel mount you can afford. minimum of approx $90-100. Or if you need alloy for weight constraints go for good quality again. approx $180 depending on where you get them.
cheers,
Shane
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

is lapping a mount somethin one can do themselves shane. if so how? whats an approximate cost if its not a DIY jobby
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

GriMo,
There is another thread in this section of the forum called Lapping rings.

Check it out, it gives you a basic idea of what to do.

If you have any questions just ask. But yes most people can do it themselves.
Cheers,
Shane