Tactical lights

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
bsg
Favourite Cartridge: .22-250

Tactical lights

Post by bsg »

After reading some of the stories from AV members about walkabout shooting using tactical style lights (I blame fenring for mentioning Dealsextreme(DX) in his eagletac review) I started looking at buying a light so I too could be tacticool.
If you go and look at the DX website they've got a mountain load of different lights.
I know I could buy a wolf eyes but I'm too cheap.
After looking at the lights and trying to find out more about them I came across the candlpower forum. After looking through some of the posts let me tell you they speak a different language.
But the One good thing I found was a post explaining a lot about different types of torches

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=172991

So now I've ordered a light and batteries and a charger and one of the rubber mounts like Fenring just have to wait to have it delivered.
Brett
fenring

Re: Tactical lights

Post by fenring »

What are you getting mate?
bsg

Post by bsg »

Fenring
Torch
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7934
Batteries
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392
Charger
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22577
The torch depending on the info I could find is either 130 or 170 lumens.
Being a P60 (size of housing) I'll probably get a 250 lumen 3 mode drop in.
Just checked, I ordered Monday arvo and it now shows my order is ready for shipping.
Brett
fenring

Post by fenring »

Those are the batteries I have. The other week we were running our torches on the full 220 lumens for over four hours - still going strong at the end of the night! :D

I look forward to seeing how that Romisen goes - I assume for that amount of $$ it's unregulated?
bsg

Post by bsg »

Fenring No idea if its regulated or not. Cost me $45 AUS for everything.
I liked the shape of the light and the fact I could add drop ins.
To start I'm going to run it as it is and see how good the throw is and how long I get from the batteries.
If I'm not happy with the single mode/throw/run time, I'll up grade the front end with new emitter/ driver and possibly change the reflector from orange peel to smooth. or just buy a ready made 250 lumen 3 mode drop in, they go for about $10 on DX.
There very liitle info on the list but I've found details on candlepower that suggests 130 lumens 6hr runtime on the 18650's and a listing on flea-bay for the same light at 170 lumens 2hrs runtime.
Realistically I expect 130 lumens 1.5 hrs run time for the amount that the light costs. Although one of the feedbacks says he gets 2hrs on the 18650
I ll post details when it gets here.
Currently listed a packaging.
Brett
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

how would a light like this compare to the wolfeyes 260 sniper?
bsg

Post by bsg »

Andrewk I don't think you can compare.
The wolf eyes is 260 lumens and $189
The romisen is 130 lumens and about $20($45 with batteries and charger)
So the romisen is half as bright and I'd guess the reflector is half the quality.
It would be like comparing a HSV clubsport to a vb commodore.
I've bought the romisen as a VERY basic entry level torch for close bunny shooting.
When I get it I'll post a review based on my limited use of torches (eveready dolphin/3D maglight)
I'm hoping it'll be good enough out to about 40-50m but I can't see with the different lumen level of the two that the romisen would compare.
Maybe with a 250 lumen drop in and lense????????
Brett
MAWLER

Post by MAWLER »

Had a chance to use it yet? I'm interested in what you think of the charger and a second opinion on the cheap mounts to add to fenrigs comments.

Cheers,
badger74

Post by badger74 »

That damn DX,

After seeing this thread I went and bought,
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16847
and to mount it
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000
and then came across this
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18296

I also got the same batteries and charger as brett.
They havent arrived yet - not even shipped actually, but when they get here we will see what they are like.
fenring

Post by fenring »

I'll be interested in seeing how that goes. I might buy one to mount to my bike helmet for mountain biking at night. :D
bsg

Post by bsg »

Well the torch and battery charger arrived on Tuesday and the batteries on Wednesday, as of this afternoon the mount shows shipped. so still have another week to wait.
The problem I've found with DX is they send items as they get them, so it may take two or three deliveries to get your order.
As to the quaility of the torch I ordered, I cant fault it.
It has a nice clean white light and certainly throws the light.
From my garage door to the back corner is 40m and it lights up the corner very well. I'm yet to get it out and try it on rabbits but I don't think it would have problems out to about 50m.

Badger74 I understand, I am now looking on DX for a drop in around 200-250 lumens and maybe a nice smooth reflector to throw the light better for the romisen. And maybe a second drop in that I can take the emitter star and driver out off. Find some aluminium and turn up a heatsink on my lathe and convert my old 3D maglight to an led light. I've seen a nice 410 lumen drop in that would be perfect.
Damn you DX.

Brett
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Mate one phone call tell Glen what you want and he will advise you on what will suit, give him your credit card details and every thing will turn up packaged and ready to roll.(I ordered at 4.00pm and had the torch the next day :shock: ).If you have any problems or wish to upgrade and within what seems like hours it is on your door.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

MISSED wrote:Mate one phone call tell Glen what you want and he will advise you on what will suit, give him your credit card details and every thing will turn up packaged and ready to roll.(I ordered at 4.00pm and had the torch the next day :shock: ).If you have any problems or wish to upgrade and within what seems like hours it is on your door.
Very good advice

P
bsg

Post by bsg »

MISSED I though you had a sense of adventure :lol:
Where's the fun in just picking up the phone and having your order arrive the next day.
Think of what your missing. You don't get to get home each day to check the letter box for the card from Aust post to say you were not home please come to the post office to get your package, and when that's not there you go online to check the order status. Each time wondering if they have sent the whole order or even better to see they have sent the order only to see the next day one item has changed from sent back to waiting on supplier.
God it makes you feel alive to order from china :lol:

Seriously I would love to own a wolf eyes but for the amount that I would use it I just can't justify the cost. A wolf eyes would set me back nearly $200, That a fair whack of my saved budget for an air rifle.For the DX torch I've spent $45.
It's all a matter of econimics. Yes the DX torch is no where near the quality of the wolf eyes but it also no where near the cost. In one of Thomo torch light hunts he says he was shooting at under 20m, the DX torch is more than up to that.
Brett
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Brett I was not trying to put you down mate.Just trying to show the service let alone product you get with a wolf eyes. Your cheap torch may well do the job for you but when you are 500 m from your car at 10.00pm and it dies :roll:.
I have bought cheap torches and 5 or 6 mag lights in the past and have found the Wolfeyes far more user friendly.