SAVAGE TARGET RIFLES

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

SAVAGE TARGET RIFLES

Post by Trev »

Guys

Anyone have any experience with the Savage target series of rifles. They look pretty good and have a nice stock. What do they shoot like, any better than Rems.

Trev
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Re: SAVAGE TARGET RIFLES

Post by chappo555 »

Trev.

I waited four months for my Savage F Class in 6mmBR. Finally arrived and looked the goods. Put a 20moa piccy and a weaver grand slam whilst Im waiting for my NF and took it out to the range to break the barrel in. First round tight as, extracted and the shoulder area on the case has three large gouges out of it. Put a brand new unloaded Lapua brass and a Norma brass case into the chamber and same thing. Chamber is buggered and so she has been sent back to NOIA and Im waiting to hear back from them whether it will be replaced/rebarreled/refunded. Another bloke at my range has a similar problem with his identical rifle.
I liked the action, the stock rode well in the bags and I thought the trigger was bloody nice.

Spoke to my gunsmith and he reckons buy the action/stock/trigger and chuck a custom barrel on it instead. He stated my rifle chamber may not have been finished reamed and the other blokes chamber is off centre to the barrel.

Im no expert just relaying my personal encounters with them.

cheers
chappo
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

At the end of the day it is still a factory rifle.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Trev,

My Savage 900s would spit Eley match through the one hole, in fact the young bloke that I sold her to managed to shoot his Gold & Silver medallions with it (on the same day) and I have used Mal's F Class rifle chambered in 6.5 284 & shot tiny groups with it at 200.

I have also used it at 500 and it seems to shit all over my trued Remington which admittedly is still running a factory barrel that was rechambered and tight necked.

My brother who was not familiar with the rifle, the caliber and having never shot a Fly match before managed to belt out a 2 inch group @ 500 meters which was smallest group of the day. Not bad for just a factory rifle.

I know of plenty high grade custom rimfire barrels that just don't cut the mustard and at times I have paid top dollar for high grade ammunition that you couldn't use effectively on Rabbits.

If your interested in a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot and had very little work, I think you may find that Mal is selling his F Class Savage.

Regards

Sean
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I just had a Clancy rifle built on their target action for the wife.

Allow another $99 US plus post for the SSS trigger and $50 to $80 to fit it if you arent handy and own a dremel.

I close the bolt and every 2 out of three times the trigger releases. I take it out of the stock and adjust the trigger as Shane instructs and now its 1 out of 10 times.

Then you bother reading the guff printed on the action "warning, precision target trigger, close bolt with care".

Well I could slam the bolt on my BAT a 100 times and the 2oz Jewell wont go off till I pull it so that ,to me, is a major flaw with the so called Target Action from Savage. If you get a nice repeatable condition and want to fire fast you have to be slow and gentle on your bolt or you will be firing before your ready. Bugger that. I'm off to the registry for my import permit tommorrow.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

trevort wrote:I just had a Clancy rifle built on their target action for the wife.

Allow another $99 US plus post for the SSS trigger and $50 to $80 to fit it if you arent handy and own a dremel.

I close the bolt and every 2 out of three times the trigger releases. I take it out of the stock and adjust the trigger as Shane instructs and now its 1 out of 10 times.

Then you bother reading the guff printed on the action "warning, precision target trigger, close bolt with care".

Well I could slam the bolt on my BAT a 100 times and the 2oz Jewell wont go off till I pull it so that ,to me, is a major flaw with the so called Target Action from Savage. If you get a nice repeatable condition and want to fire fast you have to be slow and gentle on your bolt or you will be firing before your ready. Bugger that. I'm off to the registry for my import permit tommorrow.
Thats a bummer Trev. I am amazed they can get away with that in the litigous society that is the USA. 1 in 10 slamfires is way to many for me as well (as would 1 in 1000). Seems your just begging for a disaster.

good luck with the Jewel trigger

Dr G
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

trevort wrote:I just had a Clancy rifle built on their target action for the wife.

Trevor any chance you can get 2 ? I would like one also.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

yeah, Thomo wants one, I'll see if there is any issue on getting the permit and then talk about $$$

Read the sharp shooter supply website. They aren't a simple fit like that Rifle Basix I saw you do as you may need to take a dremel to your rifle (stock?) Shane said he had done a few and would charge between $50 and $80 but that isnt much use to you way out west
m12vlp
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by m12vlp »

I'm a little confused :? Does the SSS trigger do it too?

The factory trigger does it if you're a bit rough but then slamming the gun around does unsettle it in the bags so smooth and gentle is a good thing. It's not as dangerous as it sounds, as it stops on the accutrigger, but it is a pain.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Yeah I missed two foxes because of that blasted trigger....

anyhoo your a very bad man for showing me that website Trevor ! Looks like I need a few other bits and pieces too ! LOL
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

SSS trigger is supposed to get you a proper comp grade trigger.

BUT I like what your telling me, am I understanding you right that the accutrigger stops the slam fire, you just need to cock it again (i've only been dry firing, havent made any amo yet)
m12vlp
.22 WMR

Post by m12vlp »

trevort wrote:SSS trigger is supposed to get you a proper comp grade trigger.

BUT I like what your telling me, am I understanding you right that the accutrigger stops the slam fire, you just need to cock it again (i've only been dry firing, havent made any amo yet)
Yes it ends up on the accutrigger. It's the same as when you hit the trigger without pulling in the accutrigger blade. You just need to re-cock it.

Love it or hate it it's how they designed it and safety wise I can see that it does the job. It's a bit different though.

My LRPV came from the factory set on the lowest setting.
That changed very quickly because it was too light and regularly tripped when closing the bolt. I did find a setting I was happy with though. Then I had to make it a lot heavier again for the f-std rules :x

For bench work you'd be looking at something else that's for sure.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

thanks for that. At least you have educated me enough to know its safe to try it without firing off rounds when the trigger trips.
Cheers
m12vlp
.22 WMR

Post by m12vlp »

trevort wrote:thanks for that. At least you have educated me enough to know its safe to try it without firing off rounds when the trigger trips.
Cheers
If you really want to be sure, for you're own piece of mind, then try an empty but primed case and have a play.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

wifecallsmegrumpy wrote:Yeah I missed two foxes because of that blasted trigger....

anyhoo your a very bad man for showing me that website Trevor ! Looks like I need a few other bits and pieces too ! LOL
I will vouch for that. I was looking at the two foxes he missed!

Even though I dont like thier factory rifles, the rem 700 action still has alot going for it. Then again if you want an import action for target shooting, there are always Barnards to play with too....