another dead nikko....

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

another dead nikko....

Post by LoneRider »

i just got back from sighting in the latest replacement nikko stirling gold crown 4.5-14x50AO.
killed another one just sighting in at 30 meters........
i got it on paper,then funny things started happening.so i loaded one shot at a time,pushing the pill up the spout by hand,to make shore it wasnt being gouged on the way into the chamber.after every shot i walked to the target and marked it.take a look at the results.
Picture2 002.jpg
the shiela at the lgs had the hide to enquire as my rifle,scope rings and set up....after 6 or 7 bloody scopes......
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Re: another dead nikko....

Post by native hunter »

Do yourself a favour and bite the bullet and purchase a decent scope.
I have a 4-12x40 vortex you can have cheap.?
Regards
Native
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I'd rather use open sights than a nikko mate!
blowemup
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x47

Post by blowemup »

thats a mean flinch you have there :lol:

if you want a cheap scope id buy a quality 2nd hand one like an older Leupold or possibly a weaver.
less head aches .
fenring

Post by fenring »

On a .22 no less.

They must be total shit.

I have a couple of 1980's vintage ones and have had no dramas though.

I doubt I'd buy a modern one, there are so many reports of them dropping their bundle.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Lonerider,I'll bet your not a happy camper. :shock:
After 7 I'd go a different wa,tha't for sure.
I used a few back in the seventies.They were okay for 22's but obviously the quality is now crap.
Try a secondhand vortex or lupy.
Best of luck,
Macca
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

after getting the diesel pump fixed,then a windscreen and rego,im totally tapped out just now. or i would have jumped on that vortex in the sales forum 6-24x50 crossfire from missed.
i emailed highland sports [the importer] to voice my opinion of the scopes,rang the lgs to let em know its on its way back.aparently the gold crowns arent made any more and i think its the game king its replaced with.as long as its the same ocular specs [-14x50] i am willing to try again..... yeah i know....dumb ass, go on, say it..... :(
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Mate when money is tight you gotta do what you gotta do.
If you get stuck I have an 8x32 Hakko I could loan you till you can buy a better one.It's served time on a 308 and 270 and still tracks well.
Have a good one,
Macca
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

macca wrote:Mate when money is tight you gotta do what you gotta do.
If you get stuck I have an 8x32 Hakko I could loan you till you can buy a better one.It's served time on a 308 and 270 and still tracks well.
Have a good one,
Macca
thanks for the offer macca,extremely kind of you.
i have an old tasco pronghorn i can put on if push comes to shove but i dont really want to do that again.it would be a good scope hunting big animals but not for anything small.x hairs are bigger than a rabbit at 50 yrds.and no magnification.and theres an old loupy M8-4x on top of the safe.
i just much prefere the big objective for night shooting.
sixmill
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by sixmill »

What you need is a nikko sterling tool kit..... a f@#king hammer, then every time you adjust the scope you just whack it. It works!
Rick1970
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Remington

Post by Rick1970 »

I own a few Nikkos, only for the lack of dollars for anything better at the time, and can honestly say the 8-32 nightshitter on the old 308W Omark holds zero extreamly well, optical quality is a very differant matter :lol:

Also have a jap made Nikko Diamond on a 223, which is suprisingly good for a cheap bit of gear.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Tell the LGS/distributor that you're fed up wasting time with defective $hit and offer them a compromise in paying the difference for something else. I did that to switch from Nikko to a Bushnell Trophy. Not a big jump in price but the two 3-9 x 40 Trophys I have are totally reliable 10 years on (touch wood !)
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I only own nikko stirlings now. BUT they are both on the higher end of the scope range they offer. One is a 6-24x56AG platinum nighteater. Its air gun rated and absorbs the recoil from 22-250 power class rifles fine. Optics are great under light and Ive take a hell of alot of foxes, rabbits etc with it. Cost me between 300 and 400 from memory.

The other is the new model 10-50x60 targetmaster. Its more picky on its parallax and therefore not the best under light. On the mound at 500m the other weekend, I had to fiddle with eye focus etc and parallax a bit but after that it was very good and tracked fine. This one was around the 550 mark.

Both scopes are fine for my needs but I wouldnt go anything less than them in the nikko range because of stories like this one.

Scope to come on the 20 practical will be the nighteater mentioned above for a bit, until I order a 4.5-14x40 nikon for it.

I guess its time to go for something a bit better- probably a vortex crossfire if you want to not stress the wallet too much. They get a pretty good rap on here.

On a side note with big $$$ scopes, a well known local F class shooter here got a bushnell 6500 6-30x50 or something like that to use on his 223. Well it wouldnt hold zero to save its life and in calm conditions he shot a 47 from 60 on his first turn and we let him have an extra 8 sighters to get it under control. After firing this lot, he swapped it over for to another blokes spare nightforce and then shot a 58 from 60 next turn. No change in ammo, no change in conditions. I guess sometimes you can get a dud, but when your only willing to pay $100 for a scope you would have to be pretty wary of all the crap thats out there.
wb243
.22 WMR

Post by wb243 »

This is not meant to offend, but after 7 scopes going wrong I would also seriously start to question something else other than the scopes... Even if they are only Nikkos...
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

i understand what you mean mate,no offence taken.
i have checked everything and also tryed the loupy 4x on the rifle with nothing else changed.apart from barely seing the target it shot good groups non stop.
got the nikko back,put it on,sighted in and all was good.took the nikko off and put the night vision on for a few shoots,put the nikko back on and couldnt centre it.got this last nikko and it wouldnt centre [as posted]
nothing has changed at all in my set up.
so its down to the scope.....