Torch Mounts to a Scope (could EVERYONE PLEAE RESPOND)

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Torch Mounts to a Scope (could EVERYONE PLEAE RESPOND)

Post by Trev »

Hi all,

Lets say you all have a torch and you want to mount it to your scope so you can go spotlighting. The torch is 25mm so any 1 inch scope ring will fit and lets presume for this that your scope is 1 inch as well. I presume most scopes in this spotlighting instance would be 1 inch anyway.

1. Would you like to purchase a mount that screws onto your scope and then go to your local gun shop and pick a mount that would go onto the torch and the mount on the scope, that way you can select what height you want and what quality mount .

2. Would you prefer to just order a mounting system that does it all, screws onto the scope and then onto the torch and you adjust the height by unscrewing a couple of capscrew bolts and raise or lower the torch to suit in a couple of pre determined heights.

3. Would you prefer a slide up and down mount system that had a screw that you could loosen and then slide your torch up and down to set the heaight and then tighten the screw by hand. This screw would have a knurled knob that you could tighten or loosen by hand.

4. How important is it for a QR system on the torch so that you could unscrew it by hand and put the torch in your pack or bag. Or is it ok to screw the torch on in your ute/truck with an allen key and then go spotlighting and now worry about taking the torch of until you get home.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Thanks Trevor
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Torch Mounts to a Scope (could EVERYONE PLEAE RESPOND)

Post by kjd »

Your first 3 questions either or either for me mate that don't worry me.

What worries me is a quick detachable system that I can undo by hand in seconds.

For question 4 what about a tail cap that is permanently mounted on the gun and you just screw your normal one on? probable a bad idea!

Look at how camera's mount onto a tripod for a good mounting system maybe a metal band that attatches to the torch and a threaded screw on the mount which could also act as a camera mount as well as the light mount??
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

market research??

when i get pics of my home made torch mount i'll post them for you trev.
Rob

Post by Rob »

G'Day Trev
1. A mount that screws onto your scope,go to your local gun shop pick a mount that would go onto the torch and the mount on the scope, that way you can select what height you want and what quality mount . - May as well just buy 2 scope rings, drill and tap them and screw them together (have used this in the past & it works well but screws on scope rings are fiddly)

2. Would you prefer to just order a mounting system that does it all, screws onto the scope and then onto the torch and you adjust the height by unscrewing a couple of capscrew bolts and raise or lower the torch to suit in a couple of pre determined heights. - This sounds good

3. Would you prefer a slide up and down mount system that had a screw that you could loosen and then slide your torch up and down to set the heaight and then tighten the screw by hand. This screw would have a knurled knob that you could tighten or loosen by hand. - Also sounds good.

4. How important is it for a QR system on the torch so that you could unscrew it by hand and put the torch in your pack or bag. Or is it ok to screw the torch on in your ute/truck with an allen key and then go spotlighting and now worry about taking the torch of until you get home. - Personally I dont like transporting the rifle with anything attached to the scope...they are easy enough to knock as it is.
Fiddly mounting screws and allen keys have a habit of disappearing in the field.

Something that has a small scope ring like attachment on the scope, and a press button or similar quick release, and an elevation adjustment (knurled and field adjustable would be nice).
Cheers
Rob
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

I have 2 Tikka T3 rings that join together be the 'recoil pin' and some stick tape to stop tem from pulling apart easily. Rough but works.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Just a quick question.

Why would something like this not suffice ?
Attachments
ScopeTorchMount.jpg
ScopeTorchMount.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 790 times
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Post by cam_mackps2 »

500Nitro wrote:Just a quick question.

Even just a ring with like the bottom part. With one weaver block and a qrw ring.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yes that sounds great
500Nitro
.222 Remington

Post by 500Nitro »

cam_mackps2 wrote:

Even just a ring with like the bottom part. With one weaver block and a qrw ring.

They are available, I just can't remember where. They are readily available with the Picatinny part of it.

But why couldn't you just use this as is ?
It know it may not quite be QR but you could soon add wing nuts.

It's got the clearance height for the objective whichis the most important
thing in my opinion.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

cam_mackps2 wrote:

Like this
brno_spot_03.jpg
I have found this easily to be tight enough when done up by hand and you can take the torch of very quickly and even with extra high rings on the scope they are unobtrusive. If you want it mounted higher or lower just get low,med, high,extra high rings.

I found this on ebay.

Preferably would be the mount on the torch be a proper "ring" I think this is designed for mounting on barrels but it was made to work but I think if you had it as a ring then it would be perfect.
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Post by Trev »

Guys

I appreciate your input but I should have explained myself better, Im not after what mounts you have or what you have seen, Im after an idea as too what you would think would be ideal in a mount, like what Rob put in his first reply. Yes there are mounts out their, some mounts clear a 56mm objective but when fitted to a 40mm scope they are far to high, some have a QR system and some dont. Some are bulky and complicated, would you like one that will fit all you scopes and still sit close to the objective etc etc.

I just want your response to the those 4 things I asked.

I am trying to get a feel for what everyone would like in a mount so I can design a few prototypes.

Hope you understand where Im coming from now.

Trev
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Maybe Nitro's pic- but with a way of quickly removing the whole thing from the scope instead of allen keys

or a single ring with a picatinny block on it rather than another ring and picatinny blocks

P
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Fellas I have got both the m1q and m2 mounts.In my opinion the m2 mount works fine.My preference is for a mount that does allow for movement should the torch,rifle be bumped or scary thought dropped.The extra torque applied to the scope tube in that situation could be enough to ruin it.Where as some movement may lesson the impact as it could act as a crumple zone. :?
500Nitro
.222 Remington

Post by 500Nitro »

Missed

I agree.

Trev,
I just think you are going to alot of effort for not a huge gain.

But don't let that stop you.

Good luck.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

missed has a good point

a mount that is strong enough to keep things in place but mounted " soft" enough that it will rotate round the scope bosy- without scratching- is a good point

P