Wolf Eyes Mounting

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Wolf Eyes Mounting

Post by Trev »

Hi Guys

Dont know if anyone is interested but I thought I would show you my solution to mounting a Wolfeyes torch to a scope. I purchased their mount but my opinion is their mount is pretty rubbish. This is their mount.

I bought two rimfire mounts from Potter firearms, I then took the part that screws into the dovetail and cut a section out, like this

I did the same to the other mount and then drilled out the threads on one half of the mount so they screw together. This is what the finished product looks like, I think its heaps better than the Wolfeyes mount, it certainly is more secure.

If anyone is interested or wants to do it and isnt sure what I have done, I can post a more detailed post as I certainly think its much better.

Trev
Glen C

Re: Wolf Eyes Mounting

Post by Glen C »

Trev, dead interested in a few more pics, mounts are always a problem for us, we get asked all the time for different options (eg lever action .22 mounts) or quicker release or more permanent, etc, etc, your solution solves relatively elegantly the problem we have mounting on scopes and clearing the objective (especially 56mm objectives!) plus is also much more secure.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

That's good mate but it ain't quick detatchable which the Wolfeyes mount was, however they had another sort of mount which used allan keys so it was a more permanant solution like yours!

The big detatchable mount is handy but a little cumbersome as it's a bit big but I didn't think that it was shit
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Keith you picked the purpose of the big M2 mount, most who use it like to get it off quickly, as I say with a knob the size of a 20 cents piece it is easy to get off. I am actually looking to source something more elegant for more semi permanent attachment like our smaller M1 you described. Maybe I should get Trev to run me up a few? The 1" body thankfully means we can use plenty of different mounts, have even seen a few on scope mounts.

Edit: Trev what size is the objective on that scope for reference?
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Glen C wrote:Keith you picked the purpose of the big M2 mount, most who use it like to get it off quickly, as I say with a knob the size of a 20 cents piece it is easy to get off. I am actually looking to source something more elegant for more semi permanent attachment like our smaller M1 you described. Maybe I should get Trev to run me up a few? The 1" body thankfully means we can use plenty of different mounts, have even seen a few on scope mounts.

Edit: Trev what size is the objective on that scope for reference?
For sure Glen and I agree that the M2 Mount works well but it is a little cumbersome. That being said it is good that you are always looking for better things and know that the mounts aren't perfect. I would say that whilst it doesn't take away from the torches it is the weakest link in the wolf eyes chain.

I absolutely love the Sniper every time I use it I go F*ck this is a top torch.
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Keith I agree, especially for scope mounting. The M1 or M1Q work well for barrels, but I would like a few more options sort of like a high scope mount. That said it is always a balance with being able to release quickly. It was recently suggested to me to make a mount which fits like bipod quick release, quite like the idea if we can get it secure enough. Make my life easier if everyone owned a picatinny rail :lol:
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Fellas my cure for the m2 mount was to run each half on a linisher for a few secs and hey presto, quick release and secure
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

MISSED wrote:Fellas my cure for the m2 mount was to run each half on a linisher for a few secs and hey presto, quick release and secure
Top idea :idea:
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Um KJD, it takes me 30 secs to unscrew two allen key bolts and the mount is off. And I dont care what anyone says, that standard mount may do the job but it isnt very nice.

Heck I did that in the shed with a couple of mounts I had, if you want flash, then I could always grab some QRD mounts, plus the standard mount is one size, take my idea and ju just grab a pair of low, med or high mounts and away you go, or I could get some high mounts and drill and tap a few more holes in it and the one could do different height sopes yet keep the torch close to the scope.

LASTLY, I AM NOT KNOCKING WOLFEYES PRODUCTS, HECK I BOUGHT ONE, USED IT AND THEN EMAILED A FEW PICS TO GLEN AND TOLD HIM ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD.

Im just knocking the mount, and I can probably bet, that we get that mount cause its the only one they can source or find.

Buy Wolfeyes Torches, they are great, by all means, if your happy with that plastic mount buy that, but i wasnt so I made something different and just showed you guys what could be done, thats was a 1/2 job in the shed with a hacksaw and a drill with two old mounts I had left over. Now I will epoxy resin the gaps and paint to clean it up.

Cheers

Trev
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Ok,

I re read my first post. alright I said this "I purchased their mount but my opinion is their mount is pretty rubbish".

Maybe that was a bit harsh as it actually isnt rubbish, its well made and does the job.

My wording maybe should have been more along the lines of , its not really that secure, its a bit ugly and um, i dont think its nice.

Thats a little bit better hey.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Trev wrote:Ok,

I re read my first post. alright I said this "I purchased their mount but my opinion is their mount is pretty rubbish".

Maybe that was a bit harsh as it actually isnt rubbish, its well made and does the job.

My wording maybe should have been more along the lines of , its not really that secure, its a bit ugly and um, i dont think its nice.

Thats a little bit better hey.
And mate I know you weren't knocking wolf eyes and even if you did thats your prerogative. I also wasn't saying it was great I was just saying it worked and I also thought you were comparing apples to oranges.

Read my other posts as well as I did say that they were the weakest part of the wolf eyes "package"

Though if you need a tool to undo something that's not quick detachable in my eyes but thats just my opinion.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Its not for a wolf eyes but for my fenix tk11, they are probably a similar size body to the wolf eyes. I used a mount I found on ebay and added some extra's. It is basically a 1" scope ring weaver style and another scope ring (think its meant to mount on the barrel) but the base is like a weaver/picatiny style mount on the bottom. I then also purchased a pair of high or extra high weaver style mounts from ebay as well. The Mount with the weaver/picatinny goes on the torch and I mount rings upsidown on the scope, you could always hang them out the side as well. Being the weaver style you can easily mount by hand and remove very quickly.
brno_spot_03.jpg
Here it is on the Brno and as you can see it would clear a large objective scope thats a 40x in the pic. Even Mediums would probably be okay, I went for the highs as wasn't sure which one and I have found that it puts the cross hairs well into the spot of the torch.

And below on the R9 and with the torch removed.
r9_spot_03.jpg
r9_withoutspot.jpg
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

This is what I started with Glen,

You can see the Dovetail part that I cut out, I did that on both mounts and then just drilled out the threads on one of the mounts so the two dovetail bolts can go though one mount and screw into the other.

This is what my plan is today,

Im going to cut out the section in white on both mounts, that will leave me with the mounts being able to slide up and down altering the height. Then Im going to drill and tap where those two blue lines are, that will then give me the option of screwing the two halfs together at three different heights mount.

It is quick release, it takes me 30 seconds to remove the Torch and one half of the mount by un screwing the two dovetail screws. Only issue is, that I have to have an allen key. But that can be solved really easily, I can weld some wings on the allen key screws. The one thing this does do though, is this mount is a real lot stronger and more sturdy than the original.

Trev
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Glen,

Here is the final version just for me. The extra parts cut out and extra holes drilled and tapped.

This is the Wolfeyes mounted on a 4-16 x 50 Bushnell Elite 4200. The only thing with this is the scope has an adjustable objective so the objective is more like a 56mm objective.

This is the same mount but screwed together in the new drilled and tapped holes mounted on a 4-12 x 40 viper.

If I had a mill I could have used today, Instead of drilling and tapping new holes, I would have made two slots on the top mount so you could leave it screwed together and just loosen the screws and slide the mount up and down for whatever height you wanted. The really good thing about this is I can get 30 mm tube mounts and can mate the 30 and 25 together so I can do both scope tube sizes.

I dont care what anyone says, I reckon its the neatest and cleanest torch mount I have ever seen.

Trev
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

Trev, I like it a lot. As I said I am always on the lookout for new mounts, I like how it clears the big objective well without being too high. I think I might start playing and then see if I can get something made up.

PS Trev, we never mind honest critique, we have had the factory make a number of changes due to Aussies