boyd ross rifle stocks

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
17hmr
.243 Winchester

boyd ross rifle stocks

Post by 17hmr »

has anyone here imported any of the boyd ross rifle stocks? looking at getting one for my savage, but being from the u.s its along way to send back if it doesnt fit right. does anyone in australia stock them? or is there any other suggestions for a stock replacement?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

have a look at AHN journal. Pretty sure there is one on Troutman's HMR
point blank

Post by point blank »

Get onto AHN web site.do a search under "Boyd's" and get ready to read...some happy, some unhappy, some saying they're idiots and ratbags, others waiting inordinate long period, others more than happy..seems very hit and miss..one thing in common? everyone says the stocks are rough finished externally and it requires a lot of work....but here is even an article on how one bloke got his stock looking great..they're a good design, but hionestly, why not contact Geoff Slee for a price on a laminated stock?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I am seriously considering Accuracy innovations as the stocks come fully finished and I am too much of a clutz to finish one myself. Of course I will have a different plan by the weekend :roll:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

im with you trevort, seems i either cant find a stock design i like, or the colours the laminate came in are dull and just not appealing.

Wouldnt mind contacting geoff but would need to view the diff designs etc he has, as far as im aware he doesnt have a website. any1 know if he has a printed catalogue?
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:im with you trevort, seems i either cant find a stock design i like, or the colours the laminate came in are dull and just not appealing.

Wouldnt mind contacting geoff but would need to view the diff designs etc he has, as far as im aware he doesnt have a website. any1 know if he has a printed catalogue?
No website mate and I havent heard of him having a catalogue either.
sarath919

Post by sarath919 »

I have just ordered a Boyds Stock for my Remington 7600. They do offer certain stocks in Factory Fit. Quote from the Boyds Website

"Factory Fit (F) references stocks that have been 100% fit and sanded to our house action, then finished
with one of BOYDS’ superior finishes. Factory-Fit stocks can be pulled from the box, and bolted to your
firearm with no fitting; however, on occasion, slight variations of individual guns may occur, requiring very
slight fitting that a novice should be able to perform."

I ordered a thumbhole stock for the 7600 directly from Boyd's in the States. The lady I dealt with was awesome. There was a 60 day wait on production for it. I was told their custom shop would not be back in production till 'Fall' or September if your Aussie! If memory serves me it cost about $160 Aussie delivered.

17Ackley on Ebay regularly sells Remington 7600 Boyds stocks. I would imagine that if you wanted to buy any Boyds Stock of him, he could order one for you, though it is cheaper to buy directly from the states.

Link to Aus Varminters post on Boyds Stocks

As to Geoff Slee, he certainly seems to have a very good reputation as one of Australia's premium rifle stock makers. I have googled him no end, and it appears that he does not have a website, though I could be wrong. There was a post on this forum recently claiming that he was making rifle stocks for roo shooters for $200.

He can be contacted on 03 5367 7282.

Regards

Sarath
damige

Post by damige »

Hi, i rang geoff slee last wednesday and i had the stock at my place on friday, great service i think, bit of a bugger i didnt know of thes other stocks i like the timber it is rough and will need to be finished but i like doing that sort of stuff, i will try and post up some pics when i can.
thanks
damige

Post by damige »

ok ill try the pic thing here goes :D as geoff said they are rough cut but a bit of work it will look great keep u all posted.

pig 007

Post by pig 007 »

Hi damige
I got one of those stocks of geoff for my 22-250
I have finished mine and i love it, its great to shoot with
Well worth the money
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

nice, does he do different forearm thickness' I wanted something 3" or
so, that looks like a good solution to what i wanted

-Arch
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Arch, Ogre and I visited Geoff yesterday. Ogre picked out some stock designs for his BR projects.

i selected a roo shooter special for my 204 but he will take an eighth of an inch off either side of the forend and inlet for a sporter barrel for me.

i was able to select a blank of more figured walnut and pay extra accordingly.

yes they come rough cut and you finish yourself. I reckon I can give sand paper a go and he recommends oil based finishes so mr clutz here doesnt need to worry about thick running varnish!

He has many different patterns. Ogre chose a copy of a McMillan BR stock but since it didnt have a thumbhole it didnt get me going!!

He smoked three or four cigarettes while we were there so i would get my order in before his tumours get hold!!!!
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Oh and I had a hold of the Rem VLSS in 204 with the boyds thumbhole later that day. I didnt like it. the butt section of the stock seemed too short for me
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

how much did that stock cost? what is his contact number. have decided to leave the savage alone and try get something for the browning instead. bigger calibre, and so i think ill be using it more often.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

someone take photos of all his designs and post them, i'm thinking of ordering one next week, something thumbhole and 3" at the fore end

did it come with a recoil pad?