Opinions on Burris 8-32x50mm Black diamond scope

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Opinions on Burris 8-32x50mm Black diamond scope

Post by RDavies »

I will soon have another F class open rifle built up and will need a scope to stick on it for use at 900-1200 yds (with tapered base). As funds are limited, I cant afford a big NF scope. Has anyone here used the 8-32x50 Black diamond scopes? How was tracking, reliability, how was the fine reticle?
Last edited by RDavies on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Re: Opinions on Burris 8-32x50mm Black diamond scope

Post by jeffk »

I have the 6-24x50SF BD, which is a good scope, but as it came off a varminting rifle and has a mildot ret, I can't help as to how well it tracks as I rarely dialled in, and certainly never used it at the distances you will! It's close to my Zeiss Conquest optically, and not as good as my Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS which has replaced it on that rifle, as you'd expect considering the fact it's half the price.

(It's also about to go up for sale if you decide you can live with less than 32x mag and want to save money over a new one)
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Jeff, I realy prefer that the scope goes up to about 32X. I have a 6-24x for it at the moment, but I wanted a bit more power to get a good view of the 10 ring on our F open targets. The main consideration for me will be reliability on a big 7mm as well as tracking. I would like resolution to be adequate but dont need to see bullet holes, just spotting disks.
I have looked through some other scopes, which seemed to show lots of mirage at 24x, while others didnt show much until 30+X. I was hoping the Burris might be pretty good as far as beeing able to dial it up without too much mirage.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

I have looked through one and all I can say is that mirage is mirage,was no better or worse than 4200 series 8x32,T36 and as such,tracking was repeatable just as you would expect as they are or were not giving them away$$$.

Regards Chris
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

I've got one, i had to send it back with a 'chip' of glass floating in it.. and i wasnt 100% happy with the clarity in low light, it would be ok, but you get what you pay for.. i wish i'd stretched further... but it is the best of my scopes
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I have one, 16 top power on my main spotlighting rifle. Excellent spotlight/varmint scope but then it never has its settings altered.

I just bought a T36 for next 500 fly 1000br gun, simply cos I cant afford the NF at the moment!
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

simply cos I cant afford the NF at the moment!
Thats what credit cards are for. :wink:
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Knackers. Another reason I am going for a used Burris, apart from the cost is that it is 2/3rds the weight of a NF scope. I am trying to keep the weight down where possible so that I can make the LG weight for flyshoots and 1000yd BR.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Knackers wrote:
simply cos I cant afford the NF at the moment!
Thats what credit cards are for. :wink:

yes, but you have to pay them back some time!
morten

Post by morten »

jeffk wrote:I have the 6-24x50SF BD, which is a good scope, but as it came off a varminting rifle and has a mildot ret, I can't help as to how well it tracks as I rarely dialled in, and certainly never used it at the distances you will! It's close to my Zeiss Conquest optically, and not as good as my Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS which has replaced it on that rifle, as you'd expect considering the fact it's half the price.

(It's also about to go up for sale if you decide you can live with less than 32x mag and want to save money over a new one)

JeffK pm sent!
Mort