Savage Laminated stock owners

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Trev
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270wsm

Savage Laminated stock owners

Post by Trev »

Hi guys,

Any of you guys having issues with your laminated stocks. When I got my new rifle home I noticed it wasnt central in the barrel channel so I got the sand paper out and and sanded the barrel channel back until it was free floating again. Then cleaning it tonight i noticed that its touching again, its 2mm of centre now. Tried loosening the action and and retighting, but thats a waste of time, it hasnt any movement anyway. I will have to takke a couple of mm's out of one side of the stock and then bed the top of the stock at the sides.

Anyway, was just wondering if your stocks have stayed straight.

Trev
fenring

Re: Savage Laminated stock owners

Post by fenring »

I have heard of some not being perfectly centred but mine is spot on, my mate's identical gun is also fine.
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Mine is quite a bit off centre, it is still floating. Some of the QC at Savage has dropped off a bit. My mate got one too and the finish on his is pretty rough. Mag chamber really sharp, bolt stiff and sticky etc. They still work but could use a little TLC out of the box.
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Thats not good hey
I spent all night last night adding material into the reciever rails (top of stock where reciever sits in). Took me three goes of adding the bedding material until it was square and the right height too still feed from the magazine. Yes and the bolt and reciever maching is pretty poor. I spent a few hours with a stone to fix that, but it still has a few bad spots inside the reciever.

Took it to the range this morning ans shot a couple of 3/4 inch groups at 100. Even though it was rough and I had to bed and trigger and clean up the action, IM PRETTY IMPRESSED WITH THE LITTLE THING. I would definately buy another Savage again.

Thanks Guys

Trev
patroldog

Post by patroldog »

Hi Trev
I picked up my Savage 93 R17 BTVS, yesterday, and had a good look over the metal to stock fit and found everything to be perfect. The only fault I could find is that if you slide a sheet of note pad paper it will slightly stick between the stock and ejection port side of the receiver, for about 1". Apart from that it was centrally located and free floating every where else. The bolt, although a little stiff to lift and lower is smooth with no unsightly machining marks. Though I fell tempted to place a steel washer at the end of each steel tube that the retaining screws fasted into so that the steel does not bit into the timber.
regards
Charlie
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Patroldog,

The reciever should be a touch fit to the top of the stock all the way around. Thats actually how the reciever sits in the stock. If you can put paper in between the reciever anywhere, then its not a good fit. The whole reciever sitting in the stock of the Savage isnt very good, those two skinny tube mounts are usless to bed to. If you pull your reciever out again, have a look at the very tp 5 mm's of the stock, you will see the scalloped cutout around the edge, thats where the reciever beds too.

Trev
Trev
.223 Remington

Post by Trev »

Here is a pick of how the Savage beds and what I had to do to square it up in the stock and get the barrell free floating, you should be able to see the black epoxy around the top edge of the stock.

Took it to the range last Wednesday and got 3/4 inch groups at 100.

patroldog

Post by patroldog »

Trev
Thanks for the info as to how the receiver should be sitting up against the inside timber. I have taken it to St Marys indoor range last Tuesday and after two shots to sight in the rest of the groups with 17gn V-Max's stayed in the .5" mark, (except for 20gn Gamepoint)so I think I'll leave things alone for now. If things get worse in the real world of rabbit busting then it will get a bedding job as I noted in rimfirecentral.