stuck on a scope

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker
Favourite Cartridge: .308

stuck on a scope

Post by Buffy »

Fellas im stuck on a scope for my new 243....it will be used up here as well as down in qld on deer.... dont know what magnification to get either.... 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 or 4x12x40

dont know weather to go loopy or something else....

give me some ideas

Cheers BB :hunting:
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Re: stuck on a scope

Post by bushchook »

Leupold is a safe bet . Depends on your budget I guess but I like the 3.5 - 10 VX111 . 4.5 - 14 is good for a dual purpose rifle too but needs parallax adjustment . Zeiss Conquest and Meopta Meostar R1 worth consideration .
I like 50mm objectives to let in a bit more light personally.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

has anyone got any good or bad points on the nikko night eater scopes???

Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

I have had a few, took the last one back on ftriday, the first one went out of POI by about 3 foot @100mtrs and could not be re adjusted. i took it back and they gave me a new one, i put it on the rifle, got out the road went to sight it in and the top turrent said left and right, the side turrent said left and right? i know it was only the wrong caps on but a pretty easy thing to spot.

I had one on my 204 for about 12months whilst i saved up and got soemthing better, i just got a sightron SIII 6-24x50 for the 204 and the Grandslam has gone to the 308.

I would get the Vortex that are listed on here there was a 3-9x40 for about $200 which sounds pretty good.

You only shooting goat/pig/deer with the 243 or going to Varmint down south with it aswell.

I know of a Loopy VX1 3-9x40 that is $200 i have brought stuff of this guy before and if he says its in good knick it will be.
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

Thomo, it will be used for pigs deer and whatever else is silly enough to jump out....
can you pm me the details of the fella thats got the loopy??

how did the nighteater on your 204 perform??

i also need a new scope for the 308 as the bushnell banner dusk and dawn that is on it has seazed up tight..... the bloody thing is only 3 months old...peice of shite

cheers BB :hunting:
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

I will get you the blokes number for you.

The night eater was ok whilst it was working, should not have stuffed up after dealing with the massive 3lb of recoil generated by the 204. The nighteater was a 6-24x44 that retails here for the cost of a decent scope from the states.

I took it back and as i said got another and then got a store credit and brought a good scope, I have been working through ny rifles replacing all my shit scopes.

Have a look at "The optic zone" in the US and see what your coin gets you.
mozzie

Post by mozzie »

HEY I won a nikko nighteater last year in the guns and game hog hunt competition . What a piece of shit . I'd look at a leupold 3.5-10x40 VX111
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

Thanks for the heads up Mozzie...... vx111 is a bit rich for me but vx1 is more like it...

V|PeR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22

Post by V|PeR »

what about a Vortex

I have Vortex Viper on my .243 (in 6.5-20x50 which is bit bigger than your looking for) and have no complaints

If Viper range is out of your budget then there is the diamondback range which is well priced
JP

Post by JP »

BB ... I have a couple of the older Nikko platinum scopes and they have been fine, one sits on a 300WinMag and the other on a 270Win so they haven't exactly had an easy life, but some of the newer nighteater range don't seem to be up to the same (cheaper) quality.

The .243 can step out a fair way if needed so a 4-12 or even 4-16 wouldn't be out of place, with a $350 budget one of the Vortex range or a Clearidge from the TOZ would be great scopes with better warranty ...

And just quietly, I am really happy with the clarity of the mid priced Burris Fullfield 11 scopes, got a 3-9 myself and have used a 6.5-20 and they are really nice and sharp ... :D
Buffy
Pumpkin Chucker

Post by Buffy »

Thanks heaps for the advice fellas, but the 243 idea has had a little setback and is no longer going ahead...

on another note should i take the bushnell off the 308 back into the LGS and ask for it to be fixed or replaced, or just forget it????

tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Take it straight back BB. The warranty should still be valid.
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

Take it back, get a replacemnet and keep it for a .22 or something, The Burris FF2 was mentioned, i have one on my 338 and it gets really trashed hunting Sambar, it has held up well and never shifted POI.
Simpson
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250, 243, 308, ..

Post by Simpson »

I am thinking of getting a 3-9x40 Burris with the balistic plex off the opticzone for 229 US. Represent great value for the money. The opticzone throwing in a free GPS also helps.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Buff Buster,

Remember. Hunters talk about how close and shooters talk about how far.

It really depends on how far you are comfortable with in taking shots.

On my hunting rig I have a Pecar 6 X post mount with horizontal, on my varmint rig I have a 4-12 X Bushnell and the mother of all, my stalking rig I have 'Open Sights'.

On my .22 target rifle, I have a Lyman all-American 20 X that I sourced from the States.

The last thing you would want to have to do when chasing game or stalking is re-adjust either the magnification of your scope or the objective, because you will not have time.

Unless of course your perched on a grassy knoll knocking off Rabbits at 300.

If chasing Deer I would suggest a Rifle scope with a large objective as this will absorb more light in dark conditions.

I would be looking at a good second hand European scope, either Pecar, Meopta or a German made Weatherby.

If you have a look on the Used guns website you will find many second hand scopes.

http://usedguns.com.au/used_&_secondhan ... tml#scopes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no substitute for quality.