RWS Brass

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

RWS Brass

Post by stinkitup »

Hi Guys

Just wandering if anyone has had some experience with RWS brass good or bad. Need some more for my 6.5x55 and need to start with my 308 Win (going to be used for f-standard)

Was going to go with Lapua for the 6.5 but wanted to check if anyone has experience with both then I can weigh up the costs.

Not sure about the 308, from what I have heard the winchester stuff is fine so what you all think?

Cheers
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: RWS Brass

Post by trevort »

pretty sure AJR just posted about RWS brass in the shooting sports section. Thats the only time I've heard anything about it.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Stinkitup,

RWS is good stuff, I use their ammunition 'Target Rifle' in my .22 Annie supermatch every Sunday, No problems and score high (if only I could do that in 500 Fly).

You won't have any problems with European manufactured brass or that of RWS.

My rule is European rifle, European Brass.

Regards,

Sean
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

RWS is German brass and usually the best brass available.It is getting very expensive with 308 brass running over$2 per case and the big bangers over$3 per case.
I can't ever remember anyone ever having any sort of problem except the cost.
It is usually superior to Lapua and Norma which are better then Win etc.
If you want the best go with it.
For the 308 I think from memory Win has slightly more powder capacity then lapua.
I use Lapua for most everything due to availability etc.
I do run some 308's in win and it has performed okay after being seperated into lots.These were specifically for 900-1200 yards where I wanted a little more legs.Lapua usually requires less work to get ready.
Have a good one,
Macca
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

RWS is good quality although it does suffer from variation between batches, but then so do most brands. Lapua has become a bit of a standard because they have limited said variation in some of there lines ie 220 Russian, 6BR, 6.5x47L, 9.3x62 for example.
The biggest difference between Lapua and RWS is price ie expect to pay through the nose for RWS and availability becomes an issue for RWS. Lapua is far cheaper and readily available.
You wont see enough difference between Lapua & RWS in the calibres mentioned to justify the cost difference.

cheers
Rinso
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

macca wrote: For the 308 I think from memory Win has slightly more powder capacity then lapua.]

Have a good one,
Macca
of course it does,less brass = more powder.
when i was reloading for .303 i would get 2 shots per case [from new] before the head seperated.in the target full wood.
win cases = cheap & nasty
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

old made stuff was top notch

New made- NFI-- dont know if there has been any quality drop with the company changes and takeovers over the last few years

Graeme Forbes of Forbes in Melbourne will know- he has something to do with RWS stuff

Later
P
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

ogre,

The quality is still there .. its the price thats a bit much.

cheers
Rinso
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

[quote="LoneRider"] course it does,less brass = more powder.
when i was reloading for .303 i would get 2 shots per case [from new] before the head seperated.in the target full wood.
win cases = cheap & nasty
[]
Not all win is that bad,I have ten reloads in those 308 cartridges.I rate win ahead of rem a lot of the time.
Tony Z says the current win 284(certain lots) is better then lapua .So it can vary a bit.

RWS is thicker and heavier and can take a lot of punishment and is why it is used in certain loads by people pushing the envelope.You will loose some case capacity but gain reloads etc.
Macca
joelomunro
.22 WMR

Post by joelomunro »

I've used a mix of Win and PMC brass in my 6.5x55 and apart from one or two win factory loads which split necks on firing, the rest have been fine on multiple reloads, I don't run it red hot and only use a Super Simplex press so theyre only neck sized and trimmed. But yeah the cases which survived first firing with factory loads have been fine. I haven't spent enough time fully exploring the accuracy potential of the old girl, but for what its worth the cases have held up alright.

Joel
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by stinkitup »

Thanks every one, I have had the same problems with factory winnie loads splitting there necks, took them back to the shop they were bought from and got accused of loading them hot :evil: not happy, since then have stayed away from winchester stuff. Have been given a price of $2 a case for the 308 for rws so might see if the tax return is good this year.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Rinso wrote:ogre,

The quality is still there .. its the price thats a bit much.

cheers
Rinso

Rinso

You get what you pay for.

Everyone winges about the quality of Remchester Brass, but then when something
good is on offer, all you do is winge about the price. RWS Brass is built to a standard
others are built to a price.

RWS Brass lasts bloody ages if it is looked after and neck resized,
as does most other brass. A lot of reloaders stuff up the brass themselves.
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Rinso »

Nitro,

Yes mate I agree .. you get what you pay for .. but the current prices for RWS brass are over the top IMHO.
Yes it lasts if looked after but that does not justify the cost IMHO.
The issue here is does it have an advantage over Lapua (also made in Europe and under the same shipping and exchange rates) which warrants the price differential involved .. I think not, again just MHO.

cheers
Rinso
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

well paid 30 bucks for 50 rp cases in 06 bought 100 of them, weight seperated them heavy one way light the other outcome 50 cases 1 grain difference roughly reloaded each lot 6 times neck sized only threw 1 lot cose thought necks starting to thin. for wini u pay double the weight is same 2 grains diff so what the heck dont understand?
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

stinkitup wrote:see if the tax return is good this year.
I think we are all waiting on this.