Rangefinder recommendations

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

trevort wrote:you can see rabbit shaped rocks and check them out thru your scope to see if they have fur. Or you can just glass the scope over the area your working or do the sensible thing and buy a pair of vortex binos!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lookey there trevort praising/promoting vortex. :lol:

One of the things i really like about you trev is that you are sceptical as buggery on anything you havnt personally tried but prepared to totally back down and support a product once youve checked it out and it meets your standards (his standards are fairly high as well)

Dont change mate
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Yeah...I guess you could always range the tree or bigger object beside/ close to your 'target' anyway...............

mate I don't want to carry anymore crap than I have to, thats the only reason I prefer the 'no binos' bit :D

if I am looking for critters at long range I use a spotting scope.......hey Doc....I believe Vortex make a few beaut ones of these too :lol: :lol: :lol:

KY
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

They look the good on the website and brochures thats for sure
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Kenny, I say the smart people use binos cos that excludes me. I reckon my eyesight is better than average but more than half the longer range bunnies turn out to be stones, stumps or weeds doing great bunny impersonations and it would be a hell of a lot easier to scan with a pair of binos than with your rifle scope. Now if your range finder has 8x magnification you dont need binos and the suspicious rabbit shapes can be checked in the rifle scope. Sounds like a better plan than carrying binos too.

DrG I do not doubt the quality of the product as there is now a weight of opinion behind Vortex. My initial scepticism was due to the fact that they were compared tp Leupold, and that may well be a fair comparison, but I only bought one loopy to see what the fuss was about, my point was that there were other brands that I consider in the same league as Leupolds and they were also cheaper than Leupold so i didnt need to take the chance on a new product to get Leupold quality at cheaper prices. Now lots of other people have taken the chance then I wouldnt consider it a risk now as many units of their product have been tested and not just the ones selected for review.
My reference to Vortex in the thread was a little tongue in cheek since others have noted my views before. I can say i have looked through some of their scopes, including yours, and they seem fine but I wont be a fan until I test one out thoroughly. I've volunteered for the new range. You can be certain the review will be objective if it happens.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day trevor
on another note ,not related to range finder's
Your handle is ready ,for de-burring de-burring the flash hole !
the pic is with trevor's old handle ,and hair bear's improved one

also on another note ,after looking at Ned Kelly's one and Trevor's one (flash hole de-burrer) the actual drill bit is a no.2 centre drill ground down in diameter ,for any of you folk's who want to try make one !!!

Andree
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

Or you could read my bushnell yardage pro 800 review on this site.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

To be blasting bunnies at long range, there is really only one way. Know the area and set up yourself at a given range where you know the bunnies are, or if you find some, go out to range that you want to shoot them from. Very rare to spot rabbits at 500 odd meters....

This year I plan on taking a poor old bunny at beyond 500m, and this is how I will do it. Set myslef up at that distance over a known area of rabbits. Just need to decide on which weapon to do it with!

Cheers
AI
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Post by Thomo »

I was wrong it was not a Loopy range finder i borrowed it was a Bushnell Yardage Pro, it worked very well giving me reading out to 440mtrs no worries, i was ranging rocks and tress next to the rabbits rather than trying to range the animals.

Was a good it of kit, i would by one if i could afford it, Instead i just ranged all my usual spots and will remeber them for next time.

I would love to take it Spotlighting as range estimation under light is allways very hard.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Thomo what was the brand you were gonna get me a price on?

AI I can spot rabbits very far away, through a scope!
stewiemc
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by stewiemc »

I kinda wonder just how people see a rabbit at 400 + anyway :?

happy shopping

KY[/quote]

Here's one :D
Used bino's for spotting
400 metres on the knocker.
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

I have had a Nikon Buckmaster rangefinder for ten years now & have been very happy with it. It has 4 x magnification and different modes for scanning & filtering out rain etc. I have found it to be very accurate and reliable with a range in excess of 500 metres (greater on highly reflective targets). Paid about $700 for it back then and still on the original battery!
Highly recommended unit.

CB
bushchook
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .220 Swift

Post by bushchook »

Trev ,
Guess you've probably read this ?
http://ausvarmint.kjd84.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2007

Anyway , the more I use my Bushnell yardage pro the more I reckon it was great value . Under $400 from TOZ . The Elite 1500 is probably better and not much dearer . I particularly like the vertical orientation of the yardage pro though . Easy to hold steady with one hand .
Ranged a goat in bright sunlight at 431 yards a few days ago .
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

yes, when posted. But too lazy to use the search function. hoping to hear about lots of different brands.

Academic, I had to move offices today and cleaned out the rubbish in my drawers. Found my rego bill. Seems it came in the middle of my separation when I was ina bit of a daze and got filed in the bottom drawer. i've been driving round in an unregistered car, so its roadworthy and Vic roads asap and range finder in a month or two :oops:
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

stewiemc wrote:I kinda wonder just how people see a rabbit at 400 + anyway :?

happy shopping

KY
Here's one :D
Used bino's for spotting
400 metres on the knocker.[/quote]

Nice one stewie, fancy catching up for a beer while i am over east?
stewiemc
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Post by stewiemc »

Dr G wrote: Nice one stewie, fancy catching up for a beer while i am over east?
Sounds good to me - got some home brews in the fridge for company, but I drink Queensland diesel. :D