Hearing Protection.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Hearing Protection.

Post by kjd »

When I first started shooting I use to ignore hearing protection except at the range as I am a little bit older I am starting to realise the value of a $1 pair of ear plugs can give you.

I'm only 22 and was starting to notice a bit of tinitus (random ringing of the ears) which since just wearing ear plugs out in the field it has pretty much stopped.

Also I dont get headaches after a night of shooting anymore.

Do yourselves a favour guys and wear it especially when taking lots of shots.

The only time I dont wear it is if I am "hunting" and it is only one or two shots that you will take whilst your out and about.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

Agreed with the importance of hearing protection. Once that ringing in your ears start's, you'd be very lucky for it to stop!!!! ohhh wait, that could be from the misus not the rifles....

I use a 30 buck pair of electronic ear muffs which work great for the money. Plugs will work too but I prefer the ear muffs while spotlighting. I can remember firing my old 444 carbine without plugs once when I came across some small pigs. I had four shots with it and the ringing didnt start until the pain had subsided.....It did have a break on it which the new owner has since had cut off.

Anyway, dont mess with your hearing.
vanguard22-250

Post by vanguard22-250 »

I had a shit experience when we went out to Bre when my dad fired at these pigs and the barrel of the 222 was not too far away from my ear.
Ive never sworn at my father like i did that day and he was definetly feeling sorry afterwards.
It took nearly a month for my hearing to come back fully.

We use these orange like a headband style thing with ear plugs on the bottom sorta like muffs but with plugs instead
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

My fahter inlaw let one go out of his 303 carbine once about 4 feet from my left ear. Just got caught up in the moment with a pig and didnt think about how close I was!!! Luckily it was a lesson learnt without too much pain.
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

I still remember my first defeaning ring from a bloke from the city who a mate brought up to go shooting with, i was in the ute they were on the back and we spotted a fox about 300 metres away and he was like just slow down. So i stopped went to get out with the whistle and boom he lets one fly! It was a 7mm rem mag out of a modified ruger with a heavy 26" tube with what he confessed later were max loads! Fark that hurt.

So to cut a long story not so short, i wear ear protection all the time had a hearing test which confirmed one of my ears is pretty ordinary and at 24 thats not the best :(
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

I think its obvious alot of us are lucky to have our hearing still!!!!

The poor buggers at war time must have alot of hearing problems now.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

hearing protection

Post by Sam Walker »

Something a lot of people don't realise is that hearing damage is cumulative - a lttle bit at a time eventually adds up and it does not recover, ever. I've been working in heavy industry for the last 13 years and have always worn earplugs since it was explained to me when I first started. My hearing tests still look fairly good
It's a bit awkward for hunting though...you need to be able to hear bush noises when daytime stalking. I went spotlighting once with a bloke who wore electronic earmuffs and so did his Mrs who was driving. They could talk to each other at normal volume but were protected from the noise of the 6mm Rem he was using.
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

A survey just released this week (see Weekly times) shows that shooters (sampled on SSAA members) have statistically worse hearing than the general population. Especially in the left ear- which is possibly not shielded by the stock. The article reccomends both earplugs and ear muffs

Logically the debate should end up as in the UK where supressors are alowed to reduce the volume both for the user and the community - not likely here though is it?

A couple of months ago I have developed tinitus and am told it is unlikely to go away - but in future I will use plugs and muffs at the range and will wear something in the field.

Agree hope other new shooters start taking it seriously to avoid getting the damage a lot of us probably already have!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G"day All
If I take just one shot from a centrefire my ears will ring for 2-3 days, many times I just forget and pull the trigger by then its too late, the ringing starts.
I have put it down to using one of those military SKS years ago and no hearing protection.( I also like the odd large bunger).
I would near bet in my old age I will suffer from some form of deafness.
Regards
Damien Webb.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

wouldnt it be great if the government allowed us moderators!!!
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

KJD - someone told me you can obtain permission for a suprressor if you are registed as a pest controller. My interpretation this was noise reduction on centrefires rather than a true silencer such as on a rimfire. This surprised me as I have not heard this before.

I am getting fairly concerned about my hearing now. I'd be very keen to find a legal way of reducing some of the sound from a centrefire!

On Friday night did about 2o 12 guage in relatively close succession - and had ringing on top of my tinitus.
I tried wearing normal peltor ear muffs when out walking the next day with the .223 - not a good feel- it was like watching the bush on television. Went to rubber flanged ear plugs - not sure how effective they are.

What do you guys find effective in the field and why?
Electronic earmuffs that give a good natural response or good earplugs
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

out in the field, good ear plugs as they are easier, at the range definatley will dive for the muffs ;)

Interesting on the supressor. I can imagine it would be more trouble getting one then its actually worth.
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

kjd wrote:wouldnt it be great if the government allowed us moderators!!!
how about we petition to be allowed them on OH&S grounds??

Later
P
ogre6br
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55 or 6BR

Post by ogre6br »

Davyd wrote: I am getting fairly concerned about my hearing now. I'd be very keen to find a legal way of reducing some of the sound from a centrefire!
There is a crown that is called the "quiet" crown. It is a very recessed crown that looks more like someone has drilled 1"-1 1/2" into the end of the barrel about 1/8" larger than the bore. Supposedly, this type of crown carries the sound forward, away from the shooter. I have never tried one but they are suppose to work. It isn't going to make the entire shooting of a round more quiet, just redirects the noise away from the shooter. Hope this is the info you are looking for.
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

AIIIYYYYYY.......hearing protection :lol:

Same as kjd, I always go the muffs at the range but have only recently started using earplugs in the bush.

When I was a young fella I never wore anything in the bush, and as a result I am now a farkin deaf old bastard :(
I tell ya I am sooo sorry I did not wear them years ago, so all you young fellas take note......wear something, even the cheapy foam types have got to be better than nothing.

KY