Varminting Kit:

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Varminting Kit:

Post by kjd »

Aside from rifles and scopes what are the things you take with you when you go varminting.

If going down to a warren I'll take rifle, range finder, spotting scope and camera.

When spotlighting for varmints it looks more like this:
Rifle
Roof mountable Spotlight
Bipods or window rest
4wd
Usually leave the range finder and spotter at camp when I go spotlighting!
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I always take my camera cause I'm bloody hopeless at remembering stuff. I can never recall which rifle exploded which animal..... :D
460wby bunny shooter

Post by 460wby bunny shooter »

i dont really do much varmint hunting but with my young bloke being 6 months old i reckon ill get a bit done in the next few years. how old do you think a kid has to be to use the 224 wby? or should i just get him a 300wby
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

how old do you think a kid has to be to use the 224 wby? or should i just get him a 300wby
OMG!!! that poor kid!!! No only does he have you as his dad, but he's guna have his first wthby eyebrow at age 6........months!!!
flyer

Post by flyer »

What about a good knife.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

flyer wrote:What about a good knife.
LoL Why do you need a knife? When you shoot a rabbit with a 55gn proj at 3300fps there is not much to gut and skin lol!
flyer

Post by flyer »

A decent sized swiss army knife will McGiver you out of most situations.

Flyer.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

flyer wrote:A decent sized swiss army knife will McGiver you out of most situations.

Flyer.
Hehehe yeah its especially good against a charging bunny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'day All
If your out for a long session, a good feed and some nice hot coffee or soft drink is good, also a cleaning rod and kit if you plan on putting alot of shots down( clean when accuracy fades off.)
I Usually park on a hill and set up on the back with foam around the top of the head board off the 4wd and sit on a seat and shoot with a bi-pod over the roof of the truck, Its a very steady lean.
I find binoculars are better than spotting scopes as the magnification makes them hard to spot in a hurry.
A good trick is to turn your cases up/down in your shell boxes that way you can keep a count on your hits and misses.
Regards
Damien Webb.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

the upside down thing with the cases is a top idea mate! I'll use that next time I'm out! Cheers for that tip!
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

hahaha....

thats an awesome idea with the cases!!! funny the little things that you can learn from people on here!!!
MadMick

Post by MadMick »

I don't get the upside down case thing? :? .

I always count my empties when I get back to camp, and that's how many critters I hit :P
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

MadMick wrote:I don't get the upside down case thing? :? .

I always count my empties when I get back to camp, and that's how many critters I hit :P
If only we all could be so perfect :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Way to go Mick, When I sit over a warren I like to take a matt about 3'x6' it helps to keep the sand and shit out of your BI-Pod legs and other gear, and a rear sand bag as well as some tucker, coffee, binos and knife. I like to eat some of those bunnys so sometimes take an esky and ice paks.
Depending on how far the warren is, dictates which rifle I use.
50yds =.22
100yds=.17hmr
150yds=.223
200+yds=.22.250
only ever take two firearms per hunt. :wink:
Davyd

Post by Davyd »

As little as possibe - as it reduce my pleasure.

I mostly do walk around large fields for up to 6 hours at a time- so my gear needs are different than many deer hunters for example

I'd be interested if anybody does anything significantly different - especially anything really useful

So:
-Bumbag - good quality hunting one. I don't want a back pack
- Harris S class (tilting) bipod either 9-12inch or 13-23 depending on conditions - actually don't carry it as always attached to the rifle
- Bino's 10-26 steiner predators (a little ambivalent about them) but they don't cost the earth as I end up lying on them a lot and dragging them on the ground when crawling.
- 30-35 rounds of remmington accutip .223 50gr or a box of .22lr depending on what rifle I am carrying
- Water 350 ml or so. Which is just enough to get through the time on a hot day
- Plastic garbage bag to sit on + any emergency type needs
- Knife - because I like having one of two
- Mobile - just in case something happens but tends to ring at inopportune times. Fantastic to have coverage these days
- Headlight - energiser brand from bunnings with red and white leds in case I get back after dark
Laser range finder - Bushnell 1500. Carry it grudgingly but is too useful not to carry
- Camera
- Lighter - don't know why, occasionally carry cigarettes to justify it - but the cigarettes are usually stale[/list]
- Apple/chocolate