Vortex viper- opinions

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Vortex viper- opinions

Post by Brad Y »

I remember there was a bit of a rave about them when they arrived on the scene, now they have been here a while whats the general consensus? Looking at them as another option for a new varmint scope. 6.5-20x44 can be had for under 600 bucks in Aus which is quite good I think. What would you compare them to optically?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Vortex viper- opinions

Post by kickinback »

I bought one back in 2009 and still have it. It tracks well. I won't be getting rid of it.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Re: Vortex viper- opinions

Post by BP72 »

I've got the 6.5-20x50 won't be selling it either , also got a 6-24x50 pst had them both for 2-3 years been very reliable , sold a 6.5-20x40 luepold to get the pst
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

What are they like under the spotlight fellas? That will be its primary use. 12-14 power.
kickinback
50 BMG

Vortex viper- opinions

Post by kickinback »

Brad, my eyes don't do the scope justice under the light. There are quite a few on here that could give you a better answer than me.
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

I find them both better than the leupold , I'm same as you 12/14 power mainly under the spotlight . if I can see any eye shine in the spotlight I can pick it up with the scope easy enough
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Cheers lads
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I was using my mates Vortex Viper PST (6-24x40 I think it was) to shoot gongs a while back - bloody horrible scope, even he regrets spending a $k on it, I wouldn't own one if you gave me the POS - I'd give the bastard right back! (his first one went back with issues and this second one isn't any better apparently) :shock:

It tracks fine etc just optically woeful (a real surprise I must say considering the price).

If you can find a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 have a look at those, way better than that particular Vortex.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ive got the 3.5-10 x 50 crossfire. [v-plex]
if its as good as that under light i wouldnt pass it up.

bloody great scope IMHO.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

bigfellascott wrote:I was using my mates Vortex Viper PST (6-24x40 I think it was) to shoot gongs a while back - bloody horrible scope, even he regrets spending a $k on it, I wouldn't own one if you gave me the POS - I'd give the bastard right back! (his first one went back with issues and this second one isn't any better apparently) :shock:

It tracks fine etc just optically woeful (a real surprise I must say considering the price).

If you can find a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 have a look at those, way better than that particular Vortex.
Sad to say but Ive read this a couple of times. Thats why Im unsure. What are the zeiss like in price- compareble to the vortex? Its only a varmint scope, will get bashed around the car and on the back of the ute. I dont mind spending money on good optics (just bought a NF comp for my competition guns) when they are needed, but not for something that will get knocked around.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Brad Y wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I was using my mates Vortex Viper PST (6-24x40 I think it was) to shoot gongs a while back - bloody horrible scope, even he regrets spending a $k on it, I wouldn't own one if you gave me the POS - I'd give the bastard right back! (his first one went back with issues and this second one isn't any better apparently) :shock:

Sad to say but Ive read this a couple of times. Thats why Im unsure. What are the zeiss like in price- compareble to the vortex? Its only a varmint scope, will get bashed around the car and on the back of the ute. I dont mind spending money on good optics (just bought a NF comp for my competition guns) when they are needed, but not for something that will get knocked around.
You'd probably have to go 2nd hand on the Zeiss 6.5-20x50 now (may be able to still find some in the US new or demo) have seen them as low as $600 US for Demo ones, not sure what the new version are like (heard mixed reviews on those too) the Conquest range of scopes were good value IMO.

You might be better off going a Nikon Prostaff if you want a cheapy to knock around? They go alright under the light (3-9x50) I can recommend for that use as that's what I use and its fine (their higher mag versions I'm not as keen on as they can be very eye position sensitive from my own experience in owning one) still optically fine just a little eye position sensitive I found.
BP72
22-250 Remington

Post by BP72 »

If your ever my way Brad drop in , you can give both of mine a run , see what u think
kickinback
50 BMG

Vortex viper- opinions

Post by kickinback »

Yeah, those Nikon Sterlings would be the go
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

Brad Y wrote:

As much as i understand exactly what you are saying at the same time it is a strange comment because my hunting scopes cop far more abuse than my target scopes and therefore need to be as good or better quality to handle that abuse
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Each to their own. I wind my target scopes up and down and left and right all day long. I need them to be precise and dependable. I pay money for that. Varmint scopes I want to hold zero. I like to set and forget and apply the pack of smokes rule. The 6BR with 55gr noslers shoots flat enough to have it an inch high at 100, pretty much dead on a 200 and a pack of smokes low at 300. So if fox is big in the reticle then put the dot on his snout and press the splat button. If he is smaller and you can see him clearly, put the dot on his back and press the spat button. If he is hard to make an outline of and looks a long way out, he probably is. Give him a pack of smokes over the top and let her go. If you say that your reliably hitting things past 300-350 at night under a spotlight, your either a lucky bastard or your a liar :mrgreen: