Leupold FX scopes

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Re: Leupold FX scopes

Post by Jacko9 »

theoretically it should also be better than a vx3 due to having less lenses, I am correct in saying that, right?
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Jacko9 wrote:theoretically it should also be better than a vx3 due to having less lenses, I am correct in saying that, right?
Yes.

The fewer number of glass interfaces the brighter the scope. This is why older fixed power scopes still appear bright today. Their image may be a tiny bit distorted around the edges, but the centre remains crisp and relatively bright despite their lack of modern lens coatings.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Knackers I have one on my HMR (6 power) and I love it. I found that when spotlighting I rarely changed the magnification on my variables anyway. And for the HMR the 6 power gives me enough magnification for the longer shots and plenty of field of view for the closer shots.

Regarding lens quality I can't tell the difference between it and my VX-L which are also made with the 3 series glass.

It isn't the best scope I own but dollar for dollar i think it's worth the money. From memory I had it delivered from the optic zone for around $300 back when the $AU was worth $US 1.10.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

Dr G wrote:Knackers I have one on my HMR (6 power) and I love it. I found that when spotlighting I rarely changed the magnification on my variables anyway. And for the HMR the 6 power gives me enough magnification for the longer shots and plenty of field of view for the closer shots.

Regarding lens quality I can't tell the difference between it and my VX-L which are also made with the 3 series glass.

It isn't the best scope I own but dollar for dollar i think it's worth the money. From memory I had it delivered from the optic zone for around $300 back when the $AU was worth $US 1.10.
Holly shit Doc, $300? my mate bought this from Terally"s in Shepp, so would have been xx'y. I've had a glass round the yard with it in daylight and looks crisp and clear and bright, but is just not the same holding a scope by hand as compared to being on a rifle, just waiting on a PTA to arrive now. :wink:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Currently $US399 at TOZ pre postage
http://theopticzone.com/products-page/r ... lex-matte/