Spotlighting set ups

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Spotlighting set ups

Post by MISSED »

I took some pics of the bib that Flip made me and in doing I thought I would share how we set up our lights.I zip tied the bib on just for a trail.
pics 026.JPG
pics 028.JPG
pics 030.JPG
pics 023.JPG
We set up a light on the passenger side using the same system but on the 2nd battery.
.This set up means we share the shooting
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Spotlighting set ups

Post by Camel »

I have been meaning to ask you for the last couple of years, why do you run a spotlight off your main battery ? Wouldn't it be better to run both the spotties off the second battery, less chance of having to push that way. :P
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Good stuff Missed, looks like it fit OK........ I hope?

Our set up is very similar but I use window mounts with the gas strut for tention. I bought the thru roof spot handle as I was going to go thru the roof on the old ute then got a new ute and didn't feel like cutting a 2.5" hole in the roof.

We also run twin lights my brother runs his light force out one side and I run the power beam out the drivers I'll get some picks later. I

I made the window mount for the power beam its a copy of the light force one. Works alright.

will be interesting to see what people use
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Camel we have the main light 11' powabeam which is on the passenger hooked up to the Aux battery.The 9" is more a back up second light so it is not used as much so running of the main battery should not be much of a drama.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Oh shit Missed that must be the 11 inch scoop I made sitting in the work shop. Bugger will get it off to you ASAP

Sorry.

I was wondering who's it was..... :oops:

Trav
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Really Flip I really look forward to getting that one then.
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

So, is the 11" visibly better than the 9"? What is the bib for?
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Rod with both lights running 100watt bulbs the 11" is visibly better.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

RDavies wrote:So, is the 11" visibly better than the 9"? What is the bib for?
Stop the light flaring across your window
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

I don't put my light on my secondary battery as it is purely for a fridge and a handful of work lights. If your alternator and wiring is up to standards you shouldn't have any dramas with running out of battery on your main. Another thing that can be worth doing is adding in a switch to jump the main battery with your secondary if something happens for whatever reason. :D
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I had a Oopsy moment the other month spotlighting, I'd been running my LF240 Blitz and my spotties etc and I guess because I was putting around the battery wasn't being charged enough, anyway we are putting down a hill when the car just stops! I started it again and didn't worry about it too much, anyway we plugged a few more foxes and I switched the engine off to take another shot at one which we got, went to start the ol girl up and nothing!! :shock: FARK!!!

Anyway we went for a 1/5k walk down to the farmers shed where we found a Honda Genie and His Quad Bike so we through it on the back and made our way back up and wired it all up and fired up the genie to put some charge back in the battery, only took 5mins and we were back up and running again THANK FARK!

I have a HID one now so that shouldn't cause the same issues again but I will be putting the Honda Genie I have in with me each trip just in case!! :lol:
TexNAss
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 22/250

Re: Re: Spotlighting set ups

Post by TexNAss »

bigfellascott wrote:I had a Oopsy moment the other month spotlighting, I'd been running my LF240 Blitz and my spotties etc and I guess because I was putting around the battery wasn't being charged enough, anyway we are putting down a hill when the car just stops! I started it again and didn't worry about it too much, anyway we plugged a few more foxes and I switched the engine off to take another shot at one which we got, went to start the ol girl up and nothing!! :shock: FARK!!!

Anyway we went for a 1/5k walk down to the farmers shed where we found a Honda Genie and His Quad Bike so we through it on the back and made our way back up and wired it all up and fired up the genie to put some charge back in the battery, only took 5mins and we were back up and running again THANK FARK!

I have a HID one now so that shouldn't cause the same issues again but I will be putting the Honda Genie I have in with me each trip just in case!! :lol:
You spotlight with headlights on high beam? Wow.

We used to get the alternators rewound on dedicated shooting vehicles so they'll charge everything at idle.

Tex.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Re: Re: Spotlighting set ups

Post by bigfellascott »

TexNAss wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I had a Oopsy moment the other month spotlighting, I'd been running my LF240 Blitz and my spotties etc and I guess because I was putting around the battery wasn't being charged enough, anyway we are putting down a hill when the car just stops! I started it again and didn't worry about it too much, anyway we plugged a few more foxes and I switched the engine off to take another shot at one which we got, went to start the ol girl up and nothing!! :shock: FARK!!!

You spotlight with headlights on high beam? Wow.

We used to get the alternators rewound on dedicated shooting vehicles so they'll charge everything at idle.

Tex.
Yep don't like finding stumps and rocks the hard way so spotties on whilst driving in the rough stuff for me, helps me find the little buggers anyway. :lol: I'll normally turn em off when I find something to shoot.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

I use a bit of Corflute for my bib, seems to work fine, I also have a Permanent Anderson Plug fitted to the battery now so its just a simple matter of plug and play with the spottie now.
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Flip I have to say the bib works way better than I thought it would.