Gongs

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
3potscreamer
Favourite Cartridge: 223wssm

Gongs

Post by 3potscreamer »

Found this lump of plate at work this morning by the end of my lunch hour I had this
ImageImage
The plates 6" across will it be big enough or should it be taller ( about 15" high) ?
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Gongs

Post by trevort »

if you set it at 500m on our place two things will happen,

firstly, it wont be tall enough to clear the long grass

and secondly, and this applies anywhere, even if you know your hold offs and diall them in, variable gusting wind will take shots off target and you frame is very close to the gong, so at 200, maybe 300 its ok but I can see the frame being shot up pretty quick at distance
3potscreamer

Post by 3potscreamer »

Ok mods to come how high and wide do you recommend. I was trying for compact for transport. But if you can't use it it's no good.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Barry had a good one he took to Yass. It consisted of 2 star pickets, some rope and a gong. Very simple and very effective.
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Mate, we can definetely use it, like a 200m rimfire gong would be perfect. In fact sit that on the dam bank and see how hard it is to hit it with a hunting 22!!

If I was making a 500m gong I would want it hanging, say four feet off the ground. I would want as much space between the frame and the gong as possible, say 18 inches to 2 feet on either side?

There are some star picket fence posts holding up the remains of a fallen down fence

If we could drive two well in angled out and then between those, two driven in vertically, we could brace the top of the two vertical pickets with wire/rope to the bottom of the angled one and then sting the gong between the pickets. The weight of the gong should not pull the vertical pickets in on themselves. Now a you beaut frame built in a workshop would be even better but is it easier to bring a wire cutter to free a couple of pickets and a big hammer to drive them in and some wire/rope to support them and string the gong on?
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

I see Glen beat me to it!
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

I would make sure all links are FULLY welded as the vibration from the hit causes a fair bit of damage.
Cheers
Ol 55
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

How about a couple of loops on the front so it can be tied down?

I have some ar500 ipsc style targets i hang from saw horses with a bit of chain and at 800m a 338LM knocks it over unless its tied down. I run 2 ropes to stakes 1-2m in front of the horse and its fine. Your legs and top stray will cop hits or frag no matter far away they so a piece of angle iron pointing towards the target should help. I went with $15 saw horses so i can replace the timber in a few minutes with a drill, shifter and piece of 90x45 pine. A few of the legs have been hit but they take a bit of punishment and for $15 you get another one.
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Barry :shock: who is this Barry???

The gongs at Yass were tied with rope which was OK for the smaller cals but ended up gettting cut by all the shrapnel, wire rope, chain or rubber belt would be best. Most important thing was being able to swing and as Seddo said a bit of bracing is needed for the big guns, Harb and Glenn kept pulling the posts over when hitting the gongs.

3pott, you might just be a better shot than all these other guys :stir:

Regards
Bruce
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Sorry BRUCE.
Harb
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 204

Post by Harb »

kickinback wrote:Barry had a good one he took to Yass. It consisted of 2 star pickets, some rope and a gong. Very simple and very effective.

:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
3potscreamer

Post by 3potscreamer »

3pott, you might just be a better shot than all these other guys :stir:

Regards
Bruce[/quote]

Ha I wish it's more a case of being limited to the size of scrap in the bin.
windknot

Post by windknot »

Jeez you must have a top bloke for a boss 3pot

No way I'd get to do stuff like that at my work place :D

Good loking Gong also ..........
3potscreamer

Post by 3potscreamer »

Yeh should have done it Monday while you guys were out fishing. Could have had it finished.
glen
Favourite Cartridge: sling shot

Post by glen »

trevort wrote:if you set it at 500m on our place two things will happen,

firstly, it wont be tall enough to clear the long grass

and secondly, and this applies anywhere, even if you know your hold offs and diall them in, variable gusting wind will take shots off target and you frame is very close to the gong, so at 200, maybe 300 its ok but I can see the frame being shot up pretty quick at distance
Yep trevors spot on with it being to close.Went out today with a mate we were set up at 540 yards and SMACK the frame copped a hit.

Now trev my gong is 700mm square is there a spot to hang it somewhere or do i need to build another frame before i head down.