Shotgun chokes

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Shotgun chokes

Post by kjd »

G'day everyone just wondering what chokes you guys run in your 12ga and what you guys shoot with them.
Conan
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Shotgun chokes

Post by Conan »

I use a full choke on the foxes! Only one a got with mi 12ga tho...lol
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Re: Shotgun chokes

Post by Flip »

I have a selection of 7 Invector Plus chokes that I use in my Miroku U/O. 2x Cylinder. 1x Sheet ( only use these for Skeet). 1x improved cylinder, 1x Modified 1x improved modified and a full. Keep in mind that for steel shot a given choke restriction is 1x extra constriction for the steel. ie Improved Cylinder with lead shot is Modified Cylinder for steel.

As I said the open stuff Cylinder and Skeet I use for skeet
On the clays like down the line or sporting I use the 3 tightest. Full,Improved modified and modified .
Improved cylinder and modified i like for bunnies and Quail and with steel I use them on the ducks as they are as tight as you can go
When out on the red coats I like to use Improved modified and full. with BB's or AAA buck shot

Lately when out on the foxes with the ute we have not been using the U/O as it's a bit long and awkward to get out the window when needed,so we have been using the old man's 1887 12g lever action which is a lot shorter and has 5 shot too. Comes in handy on the runners. this thing is a lot of fun to shoot and has a fixed choke that seems to be Modified. It dose a great job with BB's

Flip
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Wanna open up a can of worms?

Ol 55
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I know this is an old post but....

What chokes would you recommend for bunny busting?
Sako Sam
Favourite Cartridge: 20 Tactical

Post by Sako Sam »

The Raven wrote:I know this is an old post but....

What chokes would you recommend for bunny busting?
How hard do you want to bust them?
In reality you don't need anything tighter than Modified (1/2) choke with modern shot shells.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I should have mentioned this is for an U/O shotgun.

Just wanna kill the bunnies cleanly (for those who will eat them) rather than splatter them everywhere.

For the moment I'm using 1/2 and 3/4 chokes, in that order.
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

I'm using the same but some times I will stick the full in the second barrel. Just in case I come across a fox.

I like to use No 6 or 4 shot. What is your preference ?
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I generally use 4 but, am open to any suggestions that work :)
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

Well I can tell you that 00 SG's are bit much. A good few years ago when out spot lighting with my brother, I Lent him my shot gun belt that about 6 SG's in one end. That I had not taken out. any way as the night went on, he seemed to be hitting some of the bunnies really well. Then while we had stopped for a break I noticed on the tray of the Ute a number of empty SG shell's. They do thd job all be it a bit to well. Not the best for the table. I took what was left in the belt out and refilled it with the right stuff.

No 4 shot is defiantly the pick I think, especially in thicker ground cover.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Flip wrote:Well I can tell you that 00 SG's are bit much. A good few years ago when out spot lighting with my brother, I Lent him my shot gun belt that about 6 SG's in one end. That I had not taken out. any way as the night went on, he seemed to be hitting some of the bunnies really well. Then while we had stopped for a break I noticed on the tray of the Ute a number of empty SG shell's. They do thd job all be it a bit to well. Not the best for the table. I took what was left in the belt out and refilled it with the right stuff.

No 4 shot is defiantly the pick I think, especially in thicker ground cover.

I'll stick with 4 but I have tried a few slugs in the O/U and, I think slugs would be better in the 87-1.

Now for the trick question, which barrel do you fire first and with what choke?
Flip
.243 Winchester

Post by Flip »

Always bottom barrel first with the less constricted choke ie modified bottom and imp mod top or full.

Why?, because that's what I was instructed to do when I first started clay shooting.
Something to do with the line of sight and some other mumbo jumbo that the coach told me but can't Remember . you now how some clay shooters are. This may be wrong or go against some other trains of thought but I have been doing it so long now it dose not feel right doing it the other way round.

Flip
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

I think it has something to do with torque and twisting the gun if you are in a swinging motion. I think with the chokes it is because by the time you release the second barrel the target will be further away and therefore the shot pattern will naturally be more open but still needs to maintain some togetherness. Having said all this i am not a shotgun shooter and would not really know, but i do listen to a few people mumbling away occasionally.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Have you guys ever patterned your choke / load combination? I think with modern cartridges people tend to use way to tight of constriction.
Sometimes the more open choke with larger shot size will pattern tighter and more even as the shot is not dissturbed as much as a tight choke.
After market chokes like Briley extended have a longer taper into the constriction then a lenght of parallel usually about 22mm to allow the shot to
settle before the shot string leaves the barrel.
The reason you fire the bottom barrel first it is closer to the centre line of the gun there for reduced muzzle flip to allow for a fast follow up shot.
In the field modified or 1/2 choke is as tight as I would go maybe improved cylinder or 1/4 in the bottom barrel.
Like I said on a privious post wanna open up a can of worms?
food for thought.

Ol 55