Scope for super varmint

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Brett-Cox
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Scope for super varmint

Post by Brett-Cox »

I'm about to order a T3 super varmint in .204 ruger, and now comes the hard part, i'm looking for a good bit of glass for it. I am thinking about the Bushnell 6500 elite 4-30x, however i have never used one of these and would like your opinion, and open to suggestions, throw a limit of $1500 on it and fire away

Cheers
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Re: Scope for super varmint

Post by trevort »

I WAS VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE SIGHTRON i SOLD TO mISSED. oops sorry for shouting!

I didnt get much use out of it as I sold the rifle. he can give you a better report. I have a 4200 on my 204 but my fav scope is the burris black diamond on my 6/250
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Yep Trevort is right I love "my" Sightron.The worse thing about the 8-32 S111 is that I only have one.But the 6-24x50 S111 is a very close second.If you want a 1" tube grab a S11 bigsky 6-25x50 this model has the side focus.
frl0173
Favourite Cartridge: 204Ruger

Post by frl0173 »

I have never had a look through a Sightron, but you could get yourself a good 2nd hand nightforce BR for under $1500. Both my NF scopes I have bought 2nd hand, my 8-32 x 56 I got for $900 and it can with a rifle (Howa 22-250) the other one NXS is 5.5-22 x 50 and it cost me $1400. The only down side to these rifles is the size, but it probably wouldn't look out of place on T3 s-varmint, otherwise I'm sure that if Missed & Trevort recommends the sightrons they should be pretty good.
Missed I'll have to have a look through yours when I eventually get out to Wee Jasper :wink:
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 x 50 does the job for me on the 204. Good optics at reasonable money.
frl0173

Post by frl0173 »

BTW I have a Millett 6-18 on my 204 clear enough for spotllighting and also have a couple of older Hakkos and don't have any problems with those.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Scope for super varmint

Post by GriMo »

The bushnell is a nice scope, plenty of light transmission and optics are very clear. Contrast and colors are also very good

Eye relief is very very critical at the high end. I very rarely use mine at more then 24. Quite happy there
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

frl0173 wrote:I have never had a look through a Sightron, but you could get yourself a good 2nd hand nightforce BR for under $1500. Both my NF scopes I have bought 2nd hand, my 8-32 x 56 I got for $900 and it can with a rifle (Howa 22-250) the other one NXS is 5.5-22 x 50 and it cost me $1400. The only down side to these rifles is the size, but it probably wouldn't look out of place on T3 s-varmint, otherwise I'm sure that if Missed & Trevort recommends the sightrons they should be pretty good.
Missed I'll have to have a look through yours when I eventually get out to Wee Jasper :wink:
Waiting waiting :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brett-Cox
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brett-Cox »

Cheers guys, I'll definitely have to compare the sightron to the 6500, although the point of a secondhand NF is something I never considered which sounds like a great idea to me :D
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Sightron S3 6-24 for the cheap end, Nightforce as the standard, Zeiss Victory for top end... for a varmint rifle.... thats my picks anyway!
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

I bought a Sightron SIII 6-24 for my T3 .223 Super Varmint. This one has mildot reticle, and works rather well. So much so that I'd like to replace another couple of scopes with this make.

Nice clear glass, great detent on the clicks, side focus.

It's tactical enough, but light enough too.

To the OP, no need to get an Nightforce. They're brilliant scopes, but heavy for field use. That said, I have one on my TRG42, but that's not really a rifle I'll be trudging across fields with...

- bec
frl0173

Post by frl0173 »

MISSED wrote:
frl0173 wrote:I have never had a look through a Sightron, but you could get yourself a good 2nd hand nightforce BR for under $1500. Both my NF scopes I have bought 2nd hand, my 8-32 x 56 I got for $900 and it can with a rifle (Howa 22-250) the other one NXS is 5.5-22 x 50 and it cost me $1400. The only down side to these rifles is the size, but it probably wouldn't look out of place on T3 s-varmint, otherwise I'm sure that if Missed & Trevort recommends the sightrons they should be pretty good.
Waiting waiting :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Mate, I spoke with Chris on Sunday, seems it may be a bit wet around there at the moment, was planning for next weekend, but he recons to hold off till he can get around the place and have a look he is pretty sure that it might be a bit difficult to get to some of the good places on there.
He said that Burrenjuck is at 110% and that they let enough water over the spill way at the dam to fill Burrenjuck again! :shock:
SW-Hunter
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by SW-Hunter »

Unless you like giving your LGS ya hard earned, be sure to check out the US. I saved bout 30% on my Sightron SIII by getting it off the net. Arcadian Sales.
Clint