Barrel Run In???

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!

Do you run in your new barrels???

NO
32%
YES
58%
SOMETIMES
11%

Total votes: 38

lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Barrel Run In???

Post by lowndsie »

I know this has been done to death, but with 2 new rifles on their way..... Im going to ask it again. Who runs in their barrels and why???

I used to but havent on my last few purchases. There's so much hype and mystery about it that it's all very unclear. Personally I'm startin to think that maybe I'll run in my varmint rifles in the future but not worry too much about my hunting rigs... What are the so called advantages of running one in???
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

I just replied to a post in my section (clancy's Gunsmithing) called 'muzzle brakes'.

Have a look there for details on running in barrels.
cheers,
Shane
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

I haven't bought a factory rifle for awhile but the last one was a Ruger VT 22ppc. I ran the barrel in because it is what I usually do with new match grade barrels for benchrest. I usually make up 25 new cases and run in the barrel by shooting 5 single shots and cleanining between each. Then fire 2 and clean, 3 and clean and if the barrel begins to show less copper fouling then I will fire 5 shots and clean till I have fireform all the brass.

Its a personal choice. Some of the best benchrest shooters reckon its a waste of a good barrel to break them in because you are just wearing it out by firing and cleaning. I have a BSA 222 that was my first centrefire that I fired 50 rounds through before I cleaned it. It will average .75'' at 100yds with match projectiles.

Steve
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

Guess it's a bit like cleaning..................why wear it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wondering if those who have bought a new gun recently have a had a similar experience to this -

A mate purchased a new Sako Varmint in .223, he thought he would give it a clean out before firing it...fair enough...to his surprise it had copper in it...whoa... he asked the dealer just wtf was going on and the dealer replied "Oh thats normal, customs fire them when they enter the country to ensure they are safe" :shock: (The rifle was cleaned up on the exterior by the dealer as it was on display)

Now every new gun I have purchased has had a gutfull of grease on it, I know some factories test fire the rifle and include a target with the purchase but have never heard of them being full of copper :? do ya reckon he's been ripped off :?:
I have the feeling some 'carnt' has taken it out for the weekend and wiped her over before placing it back on the shelf......hmmmm So much for barrell run in :P

KY
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I dont care what anyone says I dont see how a bunch of cloth patches with a bit of amonia or a brush is going to do anything special to a barrel that has a projectile and powder going out at 3000fps. It just makes no sense to me. Its not logical.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

It just makes no sense to me. Its not logical.
so im guessing you were the NO vote Keith??? :lol: :lol:
shane
Resident Gunsmith
Favourite Cartridge: none

Post by shane »

Kenny,
The dealer is most likely telling the truth. They are all test fired at the factories at least once or twice. The first few rounds that go through the rifle always pick up a lot if copper and slowly reduce as the barrel runs in.

So thats why it seemed to have so much copper in it. Factories dont clean after this firing and most dont even grease or oil the rifles before shipping.

kjd,
Its not the brush and solvent that run in the barrel its the projectile. The cleaning is done to remove the fouling left behind to reduce its build up so the next projectile can have a clean path to follow.

Most barrels benefit from running in, some it makes no differance but you cannot tell which it helps and which it does not so run them in anyway.

Lapped barrels usually hit their top performance in 50-100 shots, unlapped can take 200-400 to peak depending on the quality of the bore. Its the run in at the start of the barrels life that can greatly infulence its accuracy later on.
cheers,
Shane
Jack H

Post by Jack H »

My brand new A Bolt had some copper come out when cleaning before l put my first shot through it. l agree with Shane, l think they are shot at the factory before shipping.
lts like buying a brand new car. l'm sure they start them before they leave the assembly line.

Jack
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I still agree with Gale Macmillan on this one fella's.

My unbroken rifles dont foul or shoot worse then any other.

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

kjd wrote:I still agree with Gale Macmillan on this one fella's.

in fairness none of your rifles have been run in. so saying that is kind of a moot point as you have no first hand experience to compare that against.

im kind of undecided. i can see why it doesnt make sense, but i can also partly understand why it does. i think spending a few hours work and 30 shots isnt a major drama. if im going to spend $1k on a barrel, i might not be happy that i need to run it in, but i would rather waste 30 shots and look my barrel.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

GriMo wrote:
kjd wrote:I still agree with Gale Macmillan on this one fella's.

in fairness none of your rifles have been run in. so saying that is kind of a moot point as you have no first hand experience to compare that against.

im kind of undecided. i can see why it doesnt make sense, but i can also partly understand why it does. i think spending a few hours work and 30 shots isnt a major drama. if im going to spend $1k on a barrel, i might not be happy that i need to run it in, but i would rather waste 30 shots and look my barrel.
In fairness you haven't been to the range with me nor do you have a rifle yet. so all of your points are kind of moot arent they?
222 not run in, 30-06 run in, 7mm08 run in. 222rem shoots the best... I cant see the difference and with all due respect think its a crock of shit.

further to that, lowndsie I believe ran in his ruger vt in 223 and didnt run in his 25-06 and they both shoot great.

I cannot see how running in does anything but wastes time, ammo, patches and solvent.
You get a new rifle, clean it before you shoot it, fire 10 shots to sight it in clean it till the patches come out clean. go hunting have 20 shots, clean it till patches are clean. I just dont see how one shot then clean for the first 20 or so shots does anything different. Until I see some independant scientific evidence that proves that running in a barrel is significantly beneficial I'll continue to call it a load of crap.
If you want to break in a barrel fine, all the power to you but you wont get me firing a shot then cleaning for however many shots.
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

im entitiled to an opinion same as you are. And do we need discussion as to why your smallest centrefire, with the heaviest barrel of all your guns, shoots the best?

not to mention of those listed it has a stainless barrel, that will foul less anyway...

sorry, bag me for not having a rifle all you want. water + duck + back. Im not suggesting nor implying people should or shouldn't run their barrels in. personally for the cost of 30 shots a few patches and a bit of solvent i don't see the harm in doing it.

your suggesting its fool hardy and anybody who wastes their time doing it is a tosser. maybe macmillan is the exception to the rule. when i looked at a few different manufacturers they all recommended running a barrel in.

but i guess all the bench rest guys on here, the only qualified gunsmith, and all the barrel maunfacturers are wrong.

macmillan has some amazing new fangled technology that these people have never come across. hence his barrels should be the benchmark of all. and he should be declared our king and leader. all bow down to gale macmillan and kjd. they are the only ones worthy in this lifetime...

errrrr, yeah. i think the poll speaks for itself as to the worth of doing it. we aren't forcing you to do it, but many people suggest doing it. you dont have to, im sure nobody really cares if you do or dont. its your gun, and its yours to do with what you want (within reason). if somebody who works with guns for a profession day in day out, and reaps no reward whatsoever from running a barrel in recommends it. ill do.

if it was a ammo manufacturer saying to do it, i might be sceptical. but its not. its a group of fellow shooters, and a gunsmith.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Just a couple of topics that relate to this that have been on AHN.
http://www.australianhunting.net/phpBB2 ... hlight=run

All have varying opinions. I really think it does not make a difference first hand experience and by others experiences it does not seem to either. I guess Benchresters will do anything to get smaller groups. If you want to go for it I just see no point.

GriMo,
Because you were under the false impression that I had not run in a rifle and had no first hand experience to compare against. You assumed my point was moot, however when it comes to questioning your experience with running in barrels you are entitled to your opinion? So what makes your opinion more valid than mine when I have run and not run in barrels and you are yet to make the choice? Is it simply because it is your opinion? Or do you value my opinion below anyone elses here? Its just an amazing thing how "everyone is entitled to their opinion" Yet my point and therefore opinion is moot? There's no logic in that.
Tez
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by Tez »

Yep I believe in the run-in-method :lol: .
Sight it in,then go waste some vermin.

It's a tool not a toy :twisted: .
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

I never stated you had no right to an opinion. simply the fact i wasnt aware of any barrel run ins made it a moot point that run ins are useless.