which Fenix torch?

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
trapper
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

which Fenix torch?

Post by trapper »

Fellas,
I found a shop in Hong Kong that has a HUGE range of LED torches including Fenix. I already have a great LED torch on my gun, but I would like a nice torch for general use at home and work. I want something 100-150mm long. It doesn't need to be a light sabre, just bright enough for general work. Can anyone recommend a Fenix model for this purpose?
Regards
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: which Fenix torch?

Post by The Raven »

I'm also looking for a decent LED torch and just finished reading an an excellent article in the latest issue of Australian Hunter. Still, I'm not sure what to get and will have to see some of these first hand.

Adjustable aspheric (sp?) sounds like the way to go, with a regulated supply, using the battery type of your choice.

For me AAA batteries are the way to go as I'm standardising all my camping/shooting equipment to that (eg. radios), plus I can source some decent capacity rechargable batteries that don't cost the earth.

BTW don't spend too much on battery chargers from camping stores and the like. The RC (remote control) market is full of VERY good charging systems that can handle just about anything. A basic $60 charger can do NiCad, NiMh, LiOn, LiPo, Pb ranging up to a 5A charge rate. All you need is a suitable 12VDC supply and the appropriate leads to fit your batteries.
fenring

Post by fenring »

trapper wrote:Fellas,
I found a shop in Hong Kong that has a HUGE range of LED torches including Fenix. I already have a great LED torch on my gun, but I would like a nice torch for general use at home and work. I want something 100-150mm long. It doesn't need to be a light sabre, just bright enough for general work. Can anyone recommend a Fenix model for this purpose?
Regards
Do you have any preference as regards to batteries?

If using rechargeables then the li ion 18650's will give you the longest runtime.

For a general purpose torch where you don't need long throw or huge lumens, the Cree Xp-G or "R5" emitter as it's often known is very efficient, puts out up to 300 lumens and can give very long runtimes on lower settings. Produces a more open beam pattern.

There is the newer XM-L emitter that can produce higher lumens but again, it's a more open beam pattern in smaller lights so it's not a mega thrower.

The once popular XR-E or "R2" emitters as it's often known is the one often found on long range spot beams and gives a tighter centre spot and more throwy beam.

So really, the type of emitter a light has will give you some clue as to what sort of beam you are going to get. Then just pick what sort and / or how many batteries you want to run and that will dictate runtime and quite often output too.

Raven - the Solarforce L2i is a torch body that accepts either 3xAAA or one 18650 battery if you want. You just pick what sort of emitter you want to put in according to your needs. If you need a long range thrower for a rifle then you can just attach the Pro-1 thrower.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Thanks fellas.

Fenring,
Thanks for the info. In that case I'll just choose one with the appropriate size/emitter combination. My gun-mounted torch uses the 18650 Li ion batteries, so I already have a charger. Unfortunately the Ultrafire charger I have doesn't quite fit the Ultrafire 18650s with the protection circuit built in to the top of the cell. I either need a different charger or slightly shorter cells. Maybe Ultrafire have fixed this since I bought mine 2 years ago.

Cheers

EDIT: change "Surefire" to "Ultrafire"
palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Post by palla »

My every day carry torch is a Fexix LD20, I have standardised on an AA's for my stuff.

Here is a review if you get a spare 40mins to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwWjpZSCmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwWjpZSCmc
patroldog

Post by patroldog »

I have the TK11 with 240 lumens R2 LED that uses two CR123A batteries and I am very happy with its lighting performance, andy size and tough construction. A turn of the bezel gives you either a spot light intensity or a softer light for general lighting use.
trapper
.22 WMR

Post by trapper »

Thanks,
I had pretty much decided on the TK11, but found the price in Hong Kong was about the same as an online store in Oz. I'll buy from the online store. Easier to return it if there's a problem!
doidge5781
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by doidge5781 »

I'll second the tk11 get the 18650 version batteries last longer and much cheaper than cr123 just get 4 plus a charger from dealextreme for $15 and you'll set for ages