Bedding compound fitted with no release agent

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Bedding compound fitted with no release agent

Post by Vermingone »

G'day peoples I have a rifle that has been bedded before I bought it and the idiot didn't apply any release agent...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I spoke to a local gunsmith and he said that the stock will likely be destroyed whilst removing the action and barrel from it.
Any ideas on how to get the action and barrel out without damage to them ?
Would mineral turps release the bedding agent ?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Bedding compound fitted with no release agent

Post by Camel »

That all depends on what type of bedding material was used. I have heard that freezing can make some types release, and then again have heard that the use of a heat gun blowing hot air can also release some types. Not much help as havent had that problem myself, nor had any mates with first hand experience with that particular problem. Some of the bench/target shooters probably have had some experience with this problem. camel
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Heat.

If you can find a way to get the whole lot to around 120deg C it should let go. You might be able to the whole lot (or most it) into a 4 burner BBQ?

You will then have to dig all of the old bedding compound out and have another go. Most wood stocks will take 120deg C, some synthetics might not however. I would cover the stock as much as I could in damp cloth and aluminium foil to reduce the heat it will be exposed to.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

I've read a post somewhere from a bloke (can't recall who/where) who puts a household iron on his scope base/s and just lets it sit there for a while until the action heats up enough to pop the action out of the stock. That method should be easy on the rifle, it will still need moderate force to free it, and hopefully it isn't mechanically locked as well !!
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

Heat or cold would be the best bet.
Induction heater would be the go if you have access to one if not give the iron a try, 100C should be plenty.
You could try the freezer but don't know if it would be cool enough to get enough shrinkage, I doubt you have access to liquid nitrogen so if all else fails and you have access to a CO2 fire extiquisher it might be worth a try.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

do you really need to remove it from the stock? there's a fair chance that it will be cactus by the time you get the action out.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I'd suggest cooling things first. The action should contract slightly more than the bedding material and hopefully pop loose. Some gentle persuasion might help.

If things are really stuck, try alternating hot and cold. Heat it up and try working it loose, let it cool naturally then chill and try again.

My guess is the recoil lug is the point where it's most stuck so concentrate on that area.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

give the pressure pack nut & bolt freeza a try,most hardware shops have it.its for stuck items and i hear it works pretty well on steel.
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

andrewk wrote:do you really need to remove it from the stock? there's a fair chance that it will be cactus by the time you get the action out.
Yep cause whilst in the stock it won't hold a group the barrel is bedded hard for the length of the stock and after firing a few shots it just throws wild shots off target.
Impossible to sight in unless you do it cold.
1st shot fouling and then proceed to fire 1 shot at a time and cool between shots adjusting windage and elavation as you go.... A real PITA :roll:

Thanks for the ideas fellas :wink: I'll give them a try.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Post by chris.tyne »

What sort of rifle is it,may very well be a glue in anyway,as long as there is no compound in any holes that were not plugged I jamb a small wedge between the forend and barrel then sit the iron on top of the reciever............................turned on of course and high heat then wait.

Regards Chris.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'Day,
I had the same thought as Chris.
This could well be a glue in bedding job.
I have seen them take a fair bit of heat to break the seal and then they just pop out.
A small butane torch heated inside the action while applying force.
Good Luck.
Regards
native
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

remember if the metal gets to the blue stage its 500deg/ centigrade & if you do loosen some of it pour or put something in it to prevent it re-sticking itself again (very soapy water, alum foil, ) be mindfull of fire and have a fire extinguisher handy! and please remove the scope if you haven't already. dish washing liquid wont ignite, but turps will.

as for the heat part try using an electric paint stripper ( lots of heat but no flame), if you dont have one, hire one!

another option is take it to a gunsmith cause if he fucks it he will have to fix it!
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

As Chris has said use an iron on top of the bases or receiver with a wedge between the barrel and stock forend and it should let go, just make sure any action screws etc are removed :wink: Also once it is heated up and releases don't rush as it wont re-glue.

I would be very carful about putting any direct heat from flame torches (or BBQ's) on it though.
ducky
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem 223rem

Post by ducky »

I have heard of this type of bedding. i beleave there is a local smithy in toowoomba that does this type of bedding. he does it this way where he doesnt require the use of any hold down screws,the thought is it even out the tension on the action and floats the barrel, and the only way to remove the action is to use hammer and chisel.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ducky wrote:I have heard of this type of bedding. i beleave there is a local smithy in toowoomba that does this type of bedding. he does it this way where he doesnt require the use of any hold down screws,the thought is it even out the tension on the action and floats the barrel, and the only way to remove the action is to use hammer and chisel.
stupid idea.
not only does it cause dud accuracy but it stuffs the stock to fix it. :roll:
not practical....not at all.