gun sight cameras .

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
deadkelly
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

gun sight cameras .

Post by deadkelly »

does anybody know of a video camera / spy camera set up that could be mounted on the gun / scope that could be used for filming our hits on game or targets . i just know how fun it would be to relive / share exploding varmints & or bigger game , ect ect . has anybody used such a thing . i'm gona try & find some now .
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Re: gun sight cameras .

Post by LoneRider »

i did read a while back about a scope with a built in shot camera.i think it could take an SD card from memory.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

my brother said some night vision scopes have a port for a cable - video camera . i'm looking at spy cameras , & about to look up cameras for rc planes & cars . just been watching ww2 gun sight footage from planes . :auto:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

gun sight cameras .

Post by GriMo »

One thing that might, or might not be an issue if mounting onto the rifle itself is losing focus under recoil. That being said look at the gopro range.
Sam Walker
.222 Remington

Post by Sam Walker »

Contour HD would be worth a look, better shape for mounting to a rifle
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I'm not aware of any scope-specific cameras but there are some very cheap video cameras available that I've been using on remote controlled aircraft with success. These give reasonable quality images, take micro-SD memory cards, and will run for about 2 hours on their internal battery.

Rather than spell it all out, here's a link to the cheapies I use: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... card_.html

I have also just acquired a Bullet 720 HD fisheye video camera, but have yet to try it. This is a bit more bulkier but is weather proof and probably suitable for mounting off a barrel.
vicfox
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 17 HMR

Post by vicfox »

I have on order 2 spy cameras to try a bit of hunting associated filming. One to mount on a Foxpro game caller and the other is a pair of glasses with a camera mounted in them for a different prosectives than the camera mounted on the tripod.
I saw this youtube clip of a guy shooting mountain ducks this year wearing the glasses and they worked well.
http://youtu.be/gqkPa-4LshU

The difficulties I see with most gun mounted cameras like a Gopro is there lack of ability to zoom and critters at a distance often don't show up sigificantly well on film without some zoom.
The other is recoil. Of all I have seen the Gopro appears to handle RECOIL well but the point of impact shot with centre fires may blur with the shot.
http://youtu.be/pjxpdbuKw5A

Footage I have taken where I haven't zoomed in enough when a shot was taken leaves the footage alot less appealing than those where the subject takes up a good amount of the picture. On the same token when your on your own something it's better than nothing and theres been plenty of times I've missed both the chance of a shot and the footage whilst trying to man the camera before the shot.
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

i looked at the go pro camera they look quite good . i sent them a email , i have not checked for a reply , when i get one i'll keep yous posted . i'm wondering if it can be mounted behind the scope ( so i can veiw the cross hais through the camera ) . that way i could use the scopes zoom .
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

Did you see this video of pellet flight
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12443

May be the same or similar set-up Harry uses will do what you want
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

daisy wrote:Did you see this video of pellet flight

I have bought the same mount that Harry used in the link above...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

Good quality, and a good price (at least I thought so).

Take note that you will need to sight from the camera screen if you want to got this way. That may not be the answer for what you want.

regards, curan
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

daisy wrote:Did you see this video of pellet flight

yes i did see that footage & some others , rat shooting & ground hog exploding , & shooting steel plates at long range . thats what got me thinking . well after seeing that camera mount wow that is awesome i'm getting one . that will allow me to use more camera options . thanks so much guys . I GET BY WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS :mrgreen: .
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

[quote="deadkelly".............thats what got me thinking . well after seeing that camera mount wow that is awesome i'm getting one ................ .[/quote]

It is a well made bit of kit DK, and arrived at my door just under three weeks from ordering it. The design will allow you to swing the camera out of the way without unscrewing it if you need to get an eye to the scope, and it all seems pretty good.
I picked up an acuter spotting scope a little while back, and I'm planning to use the camera mount on it for footage at the range. Taking distance snaps of targets for review, etc. Still mucking around with various bits and pieces at the moment, but what I've done so far seems to work.......

Don't know yet, but one day I may try to get one of those flash cameras like Harry and KJD have that will run the 240 frames/second stuff. We'll see.

regards, curan
deadkelly
17 Hornet

Post by deadkelly »

bloody awesome . it will open new doors for filming our hunts . so many times i'm the guy behind the camera . i kinda look forward to filming myself or getting some of my shooting on film .
palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Post by palla »

check this guy out with his setup, has the DKA2 as mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EdgunUSA#p/u/5/xisbOtHe_XQ