Slee gunstocks (pictorial)

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

Another vote of thaks to you, Trevort, and total approval of the quality of Geoff's work.
Incidentally, the 'heavy' varmint rifle I'm having built will have one of his stocks on it. It's a Weatherby vanguard-based 416 short magnum!
Blackpete wants to 'borrow' it for a year or two!
the WOOB
ps. killacat!
Iggy
Favourite Cartridge: .223 Rem

Post by Iggy »

kjd

Just a thought

Is it possible to generate a list of Australian manufacturers involved in producing rifle bits just like the stocks featured here. So often we tend to look overseas for bits when making a custom rifle when there are many great craftsmen & women producing equally good [and reasonably priced] parts right here in Oz. Could possibly a sticky under "Equipment" or have its own category such as "Australian Producers" or something like that. :D

Also a listing of good gunsmiths out there. If you have tried to find a gunsmith using the Yellow pages or google, you will know what I mean. I might start picking Shane's brain on a few issues but I would like to get a gunsmith closer to home if possible [East Gippsland].

Trev - great pictorial spread.
El Toad Man

Post by El Toad Man »

A Slee stock I bought about 5 years ago. It came as a rough cut blank and I finished it. Trimmed a bit here and there to suit me, such as length of pull, height of cheek rest etc. Quite a bit of work, but very satisfying.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

looks like you did a great job
HiWall
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: .25/06

Post by HiWall »

That is nice! I saw one of his thumbhole stocks on a standard profile barrel Brno ZKW465 .22 Hornet a while back. It really came up a treat and I would like to get one for my Hornet - might have to get on to Geoff when I stop spending money on other stuff.
El Toad Man

Post by El Toad Man »

Thanks guys. The photos do a good job at hiding the scratches!
It wasn't quite a perfect drop in fit, but it was close. I had to remove a little bit for the safety catch. The barrel channel was not quite parallel, and I had to make the bolt removal channel a bit longer and deeper so the bolt wouldn't scratch the stock every time I removed it. No big deal to fix.
The price was good and delivery was fast. I don't remember exactly, but it was less than $200 for the blank. (2002 price)
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

standard price is still 200 plus GST.

I had him slim down the forend and picked a fancier grade of walnut for mine so paid $330. When Shane gets the barrel and beds it then its going back to Geoff to get finished. he will put some checkering on and I am toying with the idea of the black buffalo horn forend tip

Post by Guest »

Great stocks. It's refreshing to know that somebody is doing this kinda work other than here in the states.
theMISSIONARY
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm Remington Magnum

Post by theMISSIONARY »

so he does left handed stocks by the looks of one pic?

i thought of getting a H-S for my 7mmRM remington 700 but they dont look back and cheap aussie to :P
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Here's the laminate I got for my 6mmBR. Currently with Shane and I hope I don't make a mess of it when I get to do the finish. It's the Remington 40XB pattern.

Nixneuer

Post by Nixneuer »

Just seen this post , great info thanks Trev , will be picking up my new varmint Tikka in .204 soon reckon a nice laminated thumbhole stock will do nicely :)
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

after what I just saw over the weekend I can see 2 more of Mr Slee's laminates heading this way!
Nixneuer

Post by Nixneuer »

Aww dont tell me that now i cant wait :lol:
Dave.223
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmBR

Post by Dave.223 »

Did you take any photos over the weekend trev?
damien couper
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by damien couper »

you did a great job trevort
wish i didnt live in nsw cause id be knocking on his door to teach me