Field report: Solarforce M9 Led torch

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Field report: Solarforce M9 Led torch

Post by Ol 55 »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Protected ... 540c459224

Rod I don't know how to post a link but they are the same ones fen recommended in another post under batteries in equipment.
Cheers
Gary
Ol 55
.308 Winchester

Post by Ol 55 »

So I posted half the info
Ol 55
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

I picked up the M9 today and have tried it out tonight. It is ahead of my old hand held spot light and much, much smaller.
I scanned through the bushes with it mounted on my 17 Rem and it will be great for finding bunnies and foxes out to a few hundred yards.

Now for a big HID spot light to mount on the car.
Last edited by RDavies on Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

A word of advice about a "Big HID spotlight" for the car mate, think very seriously before you spend your hard earned, not many professional shooters will use HID spotlights, I only know one bloke who uses HID spotlight and his is only a small one about 7 inches. MY opinion is they are too bright and startle critters more than other lights.
One interesting theory I heard is that because the light is so bright and white, it tends to make darker shadows behind the critters and this is what startles them when the light is moving, the shadow is moving behind the critters.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

Camel wrote:A word of advice about a "Big HID spotlight" for the car mate, think very seriously before you spend your hard earned, not many professional shooters will use HID spotlights, I only know one bloke who uses HID spotlight and his is only a small one about 7 inches. MY opinion is they are too bright and startle critters more than other lights.
One interesting theory I heard is that because the light is so bright and white, it tends to make darker shadows behind the critters and this is what startles them when the light is moving, the shadow is moving behind the critters.
Sounds reasonable. I reckon an 11" HID will still be good for cooking roos on the drive to work and back, with a normal 9" hand held spotty for chasing bunnies and foxes off road.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

Camel wrote:A word of advice about a "Big HID spotlight" for the car mate, think very seriously before you spend your hard earned, not many professional shooters will use HID spotlights, I only know one bloke who uses HID spotlight and his is only a small one about 7 inches. MY opinion is they are too bright and startle critters more than other lights.
What he said , just buy a halogen and buy more toys with the money saved
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

I don't rate hid at all, especially for the car. Startup times are shocking. When I flick the hi beams on I want immediate light, not maybe in 20 seconds.

I'll be upgrading the spotties on the car as soon as the new Nemesis lights are released.
RDavies
.257 Roberts

Post by RDavies »

kickinback wrote:I don't rate hid at all, especially for the car. Startup times are shocking. When I flick the hi beams on I want immediate light, not maybe in 20 seconds.

I'll be upgrading the spotties on the car as soon as the new Nemesis lights are released.
I have a HID upgrade kit for my car headlights which I like and I used to have a big HID spot light until a roo killed it. I loved this big HID spotty on the car and replaced it with a regular Lightforce which just is not as good. I love HIDs in the car, but understand they will be too bright for animal spotting.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:I don't rate hid at all, especially for the car. Startup times are shocking. When I flick the hi beams on I want immediate light, not maybe in 20 seconds.

20 seconds? Mate you must of had crappy ballasts, mine are full colour in about 2 seconds
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

Jacko9 wrote:

20 seconds? Mate you must of had crappy ballasts, mine are full colour in about 2 seconds
Even 2 seconds is too long.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:
Jacko9 wrote:

Even 2 seconds is too long.
Doesn't worry me, it's only even that long tje first time you flick them on for the night, once they have had a run, they're pretty well instantaneous, granted they're no led, but I prefer them by a mile to a halogen light, as a driving light
fenring

Post by fenring »

Dunno about these mega bright spotlights.

How far do you need to see to shoot?
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

fenring wrote:Dunno about these mega bright spotlights.

Gotta agree,we used a Powa beam spottie with a 55 watt sealed beam before we upgraded to the big 100watt unit and shot lots of stuff.

Kickinback those Nemisis lights look awesome but the PRICE :shock: :shock:
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

MISSED wrote:

Gotta agree,we used a Powa beam spottie with a 55 watt sealed beam before we upgraded to the big 100watt unit and shot lots of stuff.

Kickinback those Nemisis lights look awesome but the PRICE :shock: :shock:
I like the "wall of light" bit.

Ps, we are here.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Yeah we use halogens as spotlights, HID's as driving lights, or for duck control where you don't give a crap whether they get shot or just get moved on, they don't like the HID so it works just as well for that purpose.