Things that shit me off

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
fenring

Re: Things that shit me off

Post by fenring »

Model70 wrote:My missus (god love her) has a real nasty habit of moving things around the house. I put something down like some paperwork and go to look for it the next day and cant find it so i have to call her on the phone with the shits and ask if she's seen it and she'll say look in your pile of shit or the filing cabinet or that green box etc. etc. then i say fuck then she says well you shouldnt leave your shit lying all over the place then i say but i know where it is then and on it goes.................. but if she didnt do it i wouldnt and we would be living in a pig sty. So it all works out in the end.
My Mrs does that.

She even puts bills away, and I wonder why I get all these bloody reminders.

"Bills - not my problem, your name's on 'em." :lol:
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

i hate it when you go to heaps of trouble tightening down a new scope to find the crosshairs have shifted,then after a bit of friggin about getting everything spot on,the bloody thing wont hold centre :evil:
Rumpus
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Rumpus »

Seeing a group of firearms out of a safe that has been locked up for a few months while the owner was away and water had gotten in......

Not Pretty....
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I was going to write this one up as a post by itself but Grimo's thread seems just built for it.

While it was still hot i decided to do some load development using the optimal charge weight method. For those not familiar with this it involves shooting off a shitload of rounds at different charges to find a zone of minimal POI change across a range of charges. The idea for this is that as I live in the desert I wanted to find a load that was consistent across a range of temperatures as well as safe even in extreme heat. I can be shooting a rifle that has been sitting on the dash in 45 degree heat during the summer or be spotlighting at -5 during the winter, so it seemed a good idea :roll:

So with the mercury registering 41 Celcius in the shade I set off with about 50 rounds for the 223 (40gn Sierra BK's) and 100rnds for the 30-06 (180gn Woodleigh PP). This was before I had read AI's post on using different coloured texta's (which works and is a bloody good idea). I set up the target at 200m and procedded to fire off the rounds walking out to the target and back every three to five shots to record where they landed (i dont have a spotting scope either :? ) and cleaning the barrell every 10 or so.

It took a few hours, the fly's were shitfull and I ended up walking about 10km (cant drive its a conservation area) drank about 12L of water but by the end of it I was happy. a dependable load for the 223 and for the 30-06 but f@#k me was I sweating.

The 223 was sighted in the next evening prior to doing a boundary run but I left the 30-06 for a while.

Anyway I told that story to set the scene for this one.........

Elmer Fudd gives me a call, says "I am on my block off want to go punch some holes in paper?" you bet I reply and grab the 30-06, another 100rnds loaded with the "pet load" (as yet not sighted in), targets, bench, cleaning gear etc. Out to the shooting loop set up and away we go.

1st shot at 100m exactly on target 2"high :D

2nd and 3rd at 200m through the same hole .5"high :D :D

shot 4 (200m) 12" to the left of shots 2&3 :shock:

Shots 5,6,7,8,9 make a group about 5"diameter at 200 WTF :shock: :shock:

I then spend the next hour shooting steadily worsening groups, swearing.

By now I have shot 50 rnds into a 2' circle I have a bruise developing on my shoulder and all I can think about is how much I sweated developing this load. I am ready to pull the rest of the bullets and I am puting the rifle away in the bag when I notice the rear scope mount has come loose :oops: :oops: :oops: What a wanker I am. Elmer Fudd is pissing himself having sat smuggly shooting 1"" groups all afternoon, eventually giving that way to play with the shotgun (which still grouped better than me) :roll:

You would think that I would have noticed.....

anyway thats what shits me

Dr G
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

gord strueth doc.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i feel for ya...really i do :wink:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Handloading with GriMo Shits me off (Shits grimo off more haha!)
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

if i wreck one more piece of brass im throwing those dies through the shed window.

at a dollar a pop it adds up rapidly
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

sounds like 17rem grimo.
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

yeah mate thatd be the one. Necks to tight, necks to loose, creased shoulders. Not chambering. The list goes on.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Grimo,

Mate...a few weeks ago I traveled out to a large gun store to purchase a set of 5/8 scope rings for a Bruno and a new 3 category safe.

Generally they can smell the money which usually means that you get preferential treatment-well not today (I got the usual your made of glass and until someone breathes on you having walked past 45 minutes later we will pretend not to have noticed you).

Having inquired with one of the senior managers in regard to the scope rings he responded and then attempted to pass of a set of arctic Fox and then stated that they set up .338 Lapua Magnums with these (and I thought, yea, I see some of your handy work out at Silverdale). I responded that I want steel, such as Leupold or Lynx, with him replying that he only had Leupold. Having wandered out back he returned with a set of Leupold rings and then I noticed the dovetail, they were for an Anschutz base (10 mm).

Pointing this out to him he responded that they were universal and that they have set many model 2 Brunos up with these rings, having informed him again that I needed 5/8 he wandered off again out back and returned with a set of sportsmatch that were again for an Anschutz.

He then again peddled out the line that they were universal and rather then argue I decided to put his theory to task (and also thought that I could write it up on Ausvarmint) :mrgreen:

Having finally got home I attempted to attach the rings to the action and they didn't fit, well actually they did but they 'offset' by about 10mm which would then impede upon the windage of the scope.

I'll be taking these back today as I need also pick up the new safe and I really detest going there, in fact it really shits me.

Regards

Sean
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Mate you are only in helensburgh do yourself a favour and go see Shane at Simpson Sports 112 Wentworth St Port Kembla. He will set you up right.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Sean Ambrose wrote:He then again peddled out the line that they were universal and rather then argue I decided to put his theory to task (and also thought that I could write it up on Ausvarmint) :mrgreen:
only if you name the store.

Seriously Sean, you realised that they were not the right rings why not tell him to go fuck himself and take your buisness to a smaller store that actually gives a toss about you the customer. My local is not always the cheapest but he is one of the most honest small buisnessmen I have met. He has been a professional roo shooter in his day and still shoots recreationally.

If someone pulled that crap on me and they were staff I would be chatting with the owner, if they were the owner then I would find another store on principal.

Dr G
GriMo
Site Admin

Post by GriMo »

found something else today. Spending hours doing surface prep on all the bendy bits of a firearm. taping off the bits that you dont want overspray on. applying your base coats and getting a nice even coverage for your top coat.

Then applying your topcoat only to find it and the primer aren't compatible and turns the whole lot into a bubbling pile of turd, wasting hours of work and forcing you to start all over again..

For those of you that want to know, quit rust and pretty much any other paint = a complete pain in the ass. and it has a stupidly long drying time aswell.

cant wait to exterminate some bunnies this weekend, i feel i deserve it.

[/rant]
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Well what shits me off is when you have a spotlight all mounted looking good and then you see that you have fogot to put the rubber weather sheild on the bloody remote!!! Aghhhhhhhh numerous expletives and kicking of mums cat!!! :twisted: :twisted:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I love this thread so much pain!