Compact spotties

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
RayG
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 375H&H

Re: Compact spotties

Post by RayG »

SWIPER wrote:I am looking forward to one too.

From what I can see they run off special AA size batteries. Could a regulated bank of batteries provide longer use? Obviousley they would be larger but if you look closely at the cells powering electric remote contol cars, they appear to be several batteries taped together. I imagine some circuit to regulate the current would be required.

I am electrictronically handicapped so I might be totally off the mark.

Trishbob, whats a spare battery worth?
Swiper.....The Wolfeyes torches are best run on Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries,they are usually supplied with the torch in a package of Torch,choice of Led lamp.Charging unit and 1 long life rechargeable battery. Also available are gun mounts and Tape switches for gun use.
This is the best way to buy the outfit for a long low maintenance life.
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

trishbob40 wrote:Hi All
Rang Glen today and ordered the sniper 260...A real helpfull bloke...
as i do a lot of spotlighting by myself it will be a great bit of gear.also ordered a
spare battery....keith with the light hanging of the barrel it must effect the
accuracy(open to suggestions) ordered the scope mount,what do you think..
bob
Bob,
You can mount the Wolfeyes either on you gun barrel or as I do on the scope tube.
There are definitely no problems with accuracy being affected.
Ray.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Listen to Ray fellas.I have 2 Wolf Eyes torches and 2 mounts, barrel and scope. Have not noticed and change in impact and have even mounted the two torches on the one rifle :twisted:That was an experiment that as yet is unproven as I didn`t shoot anything that time. :( .Swiper see or talk to Glen Che has a wealth of knowledge and will not see you wrong.
Go Stewie you will love it
trishbob40
.22 WMR

Post by trishbob40 »

Simpson wrote:
SWIPER wrote: Trishbob, whats a spare battery worth?
http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-lrb168 ... hmipie9jg1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mate
I think it was around the $27 mark
bb
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

SWIPER wrote:I am looking forward to one too.

From what I can see they run off special AA size batteries. Could a regulated bank of batteries provide longer use? Obviousley they would be larger but if you look closely at the cells powering electric remote contol cars, they appear to be several batteries taped together. I imagine some circuit to regulate the current would be required.

I am electrictronically handicapped so I might be totally off the mark.

Trishbob, whats a spare battery worth?

Swiper, you must have got the cheque I sent you, you are asking all the right questions so I can mention the benefits of the Wolf Eyes setup! :lol: :lol:

First of all the torch is regulated. Unlike many popular LED torches (LL springs to mind) the Wolf Eyes products are regulated, this means two things to the user, one that the torch doesn't dim (of the 2 hours 20 minutes runtime, the first 1 hour 50 minutes are at maximum intensity, with the last 20% of runtime finishing about 20% less bright) and second that the torch can't be overdriven, for instance you could connect two 6V car batteries and you would still only get 260 lumens. LEDs are easily damaged by heat and once damaged permanently have reduced brightness. This is the reason why some popular LEDs say 'no accumulators or rechargeables' on their instructions, because the new powerful rechargeables will over rev the LED and permanently damage it. Coincidentally, that is one the reasons WE are built like a brick outhouse, all that alloy and brass liner acts as a heatsink for the LED.

Second, the battery has another computer chip in it. The batteries we use are notebook batteries, at the moment the best batteries in the world power for weight. So much so that if you watch Top Gear you will have seen the Tesla Roadster electric car, does 0-100 in 3.9 seconds, it uses the exact same battery (18650) as these torches! It does use 6,800 of them.

You can see the size of the unit in the pic below, the wire coming off isn't to a battery pack but to a on/off tape switch. The battery is about the size of a lipstick and is inside the torch, it lasts 2 hrs 20 min. Stick another one in your pocket and you have almost 5 hours of light, which seems like a good night to me. Stick 3 in your pocket (basically the size of your 3 fingers) and you have enough light to do you till dawn anywhere in Aus! I wouldn't spoil the weight and usability of the light with an extra battery pack.

Click for larger
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by frakka »

What about the alignment of the spot and the scope, is the spot large enough to cover for any mis-alignment or is a bit of shimming required......?
RayG
22-250 Remington

Post by RayG »

Frakka,
Any light adjustment can be made with the mount and the torch on the gun. No need for scope shimming as the centre spot area from the LED can cover the main sighting point at any range you use once you have set your light up. That,s what I like about these torches,they are designed for the job they do well.
Ray
SWIPER

Post by SWIPER »

Glen, I'll give you the secret handshake at the shot show and you can sort me out then.
Glen C

Post by Glen C »

SWIPER wrote:Glen, I'll give you the secret handshake at the shot show and you can sort me out then.
:wink: