New Savages

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Rinso
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 25.06

Post by Rinso »

bushcook
The 6.5/.284 would have much better barrel life than some of the big boomers that get used in F class or 1000 yard benchrest .
The 6.5 - 284 is probably one of the most common calibres used in long range target shooting across all disciplines.

It has a reputation for being hard on barrels as do most overbores. The 6BR on the other hand is not noted for this nor is the PPC. As for big boomers the average 30 cal ie 300 WM etc will get as good or better barrel life than a 6.5 - 284

The fact is if you want a light gun for long range target work the 6.5 has manageable recoil, many of the 30 cals dont so its a good choice.
The .284 case has slightly less capacity than the .30/06 from memory . Given that then all else being equal barrel life should fit somewhere between .270 and .25/06
Do you think that is rather a sweeping statement to make ?? do you think the differeces in general use matter ??? ie most 25's and 270's are used for hunting and are not loaded hot..a 6.5 -284 is however usually run fairly hot at long range target to get the best from the available BC.

The 6.5 -284 is a fine cartridge and performs at long range but will chew the barrels dependant on how demanding you are of accuracy ...

cheers
Rinso
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Guys,
Acacia has listed the new Savages (and Rugers) in their latest catalogue to dealers. I took a sneak peak at the dealer price ... and I'm excited!! Both 308Win and 6.5-284 are listed at the same price which was a real surprise and its not as much of a premium over the LRPV as I thought. Might be a good time to get a quote ... my dealer is working out his cut tonight so we can do some dealing on the 12VLP-S.
Cheers...
Con
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Decided a new toy is required this summer. Ordered a new 12VLP-S today in 22/250 with 1:9" twist :twisted: ... ETA is January. Rumours of faster twisted .22cals seems to have been true.
Cheers...
Con
PS: Forgot to add ... the F-class rifles are also listed in the shipment and apparently will NOT last long, then who knows how long until they get the next shipment.
Archfile
.17 HMR

Post by Archfile »

I'd take the F-Class looking one for a varmint rifle in 22-250 or 243,
its too heavy to be worth the weight for the 204 (what with the little
hole and all)

I'll bet that they get heaps of takers and re-run the build again and
then never stop.

-Arch
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Arch,
They'll keep making them ... when we see them back in Oz will depend when Savage sees fit to supply us I reckon. At this point they're listed in the shipment to arrive in January ... next lot will probably be when demand drops enough to supply our little market.
Personally I wish they had followed through with a 6BR in the LRPV ... I'm chasing barrels though and if they bring in Savage varmint barrels (not looking likely :cry: ) as components, then I've told my dealer to order a 243Win for a 6BR rechamber to the VLP-S.
Cheers...
Con