RCBS Chargemaster Lite

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: RCBS Chargemaster Lite

Post by The Raven »

daisy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 am I throw 2205,2208,2209 & Trail Boss with my Chargemaster. I have to adjust it slower for the Trail Boss.
At the moment I'd be throwing 2206H and 2209.

I understand the trail boss has larger sized grains, is that the reason for going slower? I'm sure there's other factors as well...
daisy
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 7-08

Post by daisy »

The Raven wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 pm
daisy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 am I throw 2205,2208,2209 & Trail Boss with my Chargemaster. I have to adjust it slower for the Trail Boss.
At the moment I'd be throwing 2206H and 2209.

I understand the trail boss has larger sized grains, is that the reason for going slower? I'm sure there's other factors as well...
Trail Boss is like a flat doughnut sort of round and flat. I ran the same settings when I used AS50 for poofter loads for the 44mag.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day all,
I ditched my Chargemaster and bought the Dandy Omega 2 trickler in a work brilliant better than a Chargemaster and cheaper too. :D
https://dandyproductsllc.com/
Cheerio Ned
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Well, against all sage advice I bought the Chargemaster lite. :wink:

I've set it up, levelled, warmed, calibrated, and read the manual in all languages (just to be sure).

Then I threw some powder into several different scales to do some comparisons: Beam, Chargemaster, and eBay digital.

I know this sought of 'calibration' testing is dubious as I have no known baseline to work from, but I thought I may learn something from a three way comparison.

The cheapy digital scales are just that. For the same load they drift as it warms up, which is a pain as it powers off every minute. The same weight will also yield different results depending on how you place it on the pan. Hint: Don't buy digital scales for loading! Using the RCBS supplied calibration weights of 50 gram it always read high, as much as 0.07 grams.

Using the Chargemaster to throw multiple loads of 25, 50, 75, and 100 grain powder, and then putting it on the beam scales, I determined the beam indicated around a 1 tenth of a grain low in the 25-75 range, but about 2-3 tenths at 75-100 grains. Note, all of my handloads to date are in that lower range.

This suggests, assuming the Chargemaster is correct (!), I've probably been loading about a tenth of a grain higher than indicated using the beam. Another assumption is that every load I've manually measured has been done EXACTLY the same, hence why I want to go automatic/lazy.

I'm not fussed too much about that level of deviation, except that all my historical load data using beam scales could be out as much as a 1 tenth when compared to the Chargemaster.

What would our experts do? Retest some of my historical load data using the Chargemaster, or simply continue using the same data? I think I know the answer...but I'd rather ask (ie. no such thing as a stupid question).

Perhaps I'm over analyzing what is essentially loads for hunting and paper punching.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

I am no expert, so Ill just stick to my 35 year old RCBS 505 balance beam scales and powder thrower, that is only a youngster at 34 years old. :D
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 pm I am no expert, so Ill just stick to my 35 year old RCBS 505 balance beam scales and powder thrower, that is only a youngster at 34 years old. :D
If it's working and you have no desire to change that's perfectly logical. :)

I'm introducing a change which leads me to question how to proceed with my old load data. :?:
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

I have a lyman gen 6 and love how quick I can do a batch - 3 young kids means minimal hobby time so quicker is more gooder.
When I first got mine I checked the weights against my existing beam scales (RCBS) and it line up so I just loaded rounds as per usual but my plan was that if it was different weights then I would adjust the load to what the scales I used to do my load development. eg my 223 uses 24.9gr of bm2 using my rcbs scales so if I checked againt my lyman and when it throws 24.9 on the digital read out it actually weighs say 25.1 on the rcbs then I would reduce the weight on the digital and try 24.7 until it weighs 24.9 on the rcbs beam scales. Then all my loads would be at 24.7 on the lyman. The exact weight doesn't really matter, that is if you've worked up a load it is constancy of the chosen weight that counts if that makes sense.
I would also either buy some decent check weights or what I have done is verified the weight of a few different projectiles that are closer to the weights I am reloading at - I have a 17gr and a 55gr projectile from memory that I can just chuck on the scales to know that it is reading right at lower weights as the calibration weights that comes with the lyman is 50gram which is 700grain or something
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

The Raven wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 pm
Using the Chargemaster to throw multiple loads of 25, 50, 75, and 100 grain powder, and then putting it on the beam scales, I determined the beam indicated around a 1 tenth of a grain low in the 25-75 range, but about 2-3 tenths at 75-100 grains. Note, all of my handloads to date are in that lower range.

This suggests, assuming the Chargemaster is correct (!), I've probably been loading about a tenth of a grain higher than indicated using the beam. Another assumption is that every load I've manually measured has been done EXACTLY the same, hence why I want to go automatic/lazy.

I'm not fussed too much about that level of deviation, except that all my historical load data using beam scales could be out as much as a 1 tenth when compared to the Chargemaster.

What would our experts do? Retest some of my historical load data using the Chargemaster, or simply continue using the same data? I think I know the answer...but I'd rather ask (ie. no such thing as a stupid question).

Perhaps I'm over analyzing what is essentially loads for hunting and paper punching.
Raven, I think you are over analysing. I doubt you will be able to pick up a difference in accuracy or pressure due to 0.1gn - if you can then I suggest your load is not near a node, or is too close to max anyway.

Marcus
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Thanks guys.

Yes, over analysing but only because I don't want to start my load data all over again (or blow the rifle or myself up).
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Have you tested loads with slightly higher charge weights than your currently chosen loads during load testing? If so it would confirm you absolutely have nothing to worry about.

Good to be thinking about it and asking the question though - your eyes, hearing and fingers are to valuable to risk through blasé reloading practices.

Marcus
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

Hi Branx,

Just been reloading today with the Chargemaster, and will be doing more tonight.

Yes, the loads I’m doing now are several tenths below the max I’ve tested before. Mostly because the lower loads have proven to be the most accurate.

A bit of caution is worth it. Just to be sure.

Today’s news today also prompted me to order more reloading supplies. Never know if we’ll need it (hence the Negan avatar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk