Scope advice please 223 t3 lite <=$500

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
britto
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Re: Scope advice please 223 t3 lite <=$500

Post by britto »

zook60 wrote:
britto wrote:Im in Melbourne at moment. Ablas have MEOPTA MEOPRO 4-12X50 Z PLEX advertised for $495
I have this scope on my 223 great under light it really suits ths 223.
I bought mine from abelas but you wont get one for that price its old. I payed $599 from memory.
I thought it sounded like a good price.
Is your 223 a tikka? if so what rings did you use?
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

britto wrote:
zook60 wrote:
britto wrote:Im in Melbourne at moment. Ablas have MEOPTA MEOPRO 4-12X50 Z PLEX advertised for $495
I bought mine from abelas but you wont get one for that price its old. I payed $599 from memory.
Britto, I used a set of aluminium sports mount rings on my tikka t3 varmint, paired with a tikka t3 varmint 223, it cleared by a bees dick.
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Post by 223 fanboy »

britto wrote: use scope mount torch where permitted at night if dont have a mate with me.

My .22 is CZ lux 452 with leupold vx1 2-7X 28. fitted up an ultrafire c8 I think xml u2 led with remote switch I have rigged up. Have been using CCI velocitor ammo usually trying to squeeze a little more distance out of it but now with the 223 I think will sight it in with subs and have dedicated rabbit gun.
Also have t3 hunter in 308 and Miroku o/u 12 gauge.
Those LED torches are a handy bit of kit.

22, 308, 12 gauge and now a 223, sounds like a good all round collection.
zook60

Post by zook60 »

britto wrote:
zook60 wrote:
My scope is on my Sako varmint now.
From memory I had Warne PA high rings on the T3 varmint. I know DNZ medium will work with this scope with a t3 lite barrel.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Welcome on board Britto
britto

Post by britto »

Thanks for all the input fellas. Ive been doing a bit of research and pretty sure I will go with something from sightron s11 big sky range blowing my budget by a few hundred but never mind. I was looking for something in 50mm but cant find one in the magnification/price I am after. What do you guys think of Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16x42 Duplex? I haven't done the exchange rate sums yet but think from US delivered will be $7-800. Don't seem to be readily available in Aus??
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

britto wrote:Thanks for all the input fellas. Ive been doing a bit of research and pretty sure I will go with something from sightron s11 big sky range blowing my budget by a few hundred but never mind. I was looking for something in 50mm but cant find one in the magnification/price I am after. What do you guys think of Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16x42 Duplex? I haven't done the exchange rate sums yet but think from US delivered will be $7-800. Don't seem to be readily available in Aus??
If I had the means i'd try and compare them both side by side. Not sure if Abelas stock Sightron though. I don't have a Sightron but I have the Meopro and a Z3 in the same power range and they are fairly close to look through. Plus you can have your 50 mm objective. JMHO.
MISSED might actually be a good one to compare the two. Pretty sure he has had both.
Rob
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

G'day and welcome Britto, I'll through in my 20 bob's worth. Like a lot of others have said, keep it simple and the simpler the better IMO. Have you thought about a fixed power scope? 8x40 8x50 10x40 10x50? Here are my reasons, a fixed power scope has a lot less internal lens's which means more light gets into the scope, it also means that there is a lot wider field of view, I mean a hell of a lot more, a 4-12x40 scope set on 8 power has a lot smaller field of view than a fixed 8x40 does. A fixed power is in focus from about 15 mtrs to 300 mtrs, and virtually has nothing that can go wrong with it. Fixed power is a lot lighter sitting on to of your rifle if your walking around all day and light to manoeuvre in a vehicle too. It's also a lot smaller and therefore hasn't got the bulk of a big scope to contend with. If your screwing a variable up and down and focusing it all the time, it makes it harder to become a good judge of distance. Once your used to the distances through a fixed power you will know what shots are just to far to take, and you will also know how much you need to hold over for a slightly longer shot as compared to just magnifying your target and not compensating for distance. Lastly they are cheaper, you can get a high quality scope in a fixed power way cheaper than any variable in the same quality level. When your at the gunshop, take the scope of your choice outside and check the difference between a fixed and a variable, you maybe very surprised. One last thing, I have been out with heaps of mates that were frigging around adjusting powers and focus rings while the target is pissing off, if it's fixed just point and shoot. Hope I've confused you a little more. Happy hunting. :wink:
britto

Post by britto »

Thank again for the input everyone. I picked up rifle today they didn't have the meopta in stock. I ended up walking out with a weaver grandslam 3-12x50. Off to the range sunday to sight it in.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

britto wrote:Thank again for the input everyone. I picked up rifle today they didn't have the meopta in stock. I ended up walking out with a weaver grandslam 3-12x50. Off to the range sunday to sight it in.
That sounds like a good option........

What did the GS set you back Britto?
britto

Post by britto »

$830. I thought some lens covers might be included for that price but apparently not.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Not a bad set up Britton those weavers go alright inmo they are a bit underated

We just need pics and a hunt report