Rangefinders

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Re: Rangefinders

Post by bigfellascott »

deye223 wrote:i like the fact you can mount it on a pod. with me leica for the money i paid the bums forgot one of the most important things for a long range finder .
Yeah but you can get the attachment for the Leica if you shell out even more $$ :lol: The mount on that one is the one I use on the Nikon Camera, just screw it into the base of the Vortex and ya ready to roll.

I agree with you though one would have thought for the $$$ it would have been part of the package but apparently they need to squeeeeze ya just a little bit more. :roll:
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

bigfellascott wrote:
deye223 wrote:i like the fact you can mount it on a pod. with me leica for the money i paid the bums forgot one of the most important things for a long range finder .
Yeah but you can get the attachment for the Leica if you shell out even more $$ :lol: The mount on that one is the one I use on the Nikon Camera, just screw it into the base of the Vortex and ya ready to roll.

I agree with you though one would have thought for the $$$ it would have been part of the package but apparently they need to squeeeeze ya just a little bit more. :roll:
i'm just gunna make one out of ally
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

deye223 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

i'm just gunna make one out of ally
You could probably rig up something using velco I reckon but making something decent would be better, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

kickinback wrote:Image

whats the significance of this ?

made in Portugal ?
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

bimbo wrote: Kickinback what model is your leica?

Cheers
James
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

kickinback wrote:
bimbo wrote: Kickinback what model is your leica?

Cheers
James
oh ok... i seen it yonks ago (made in Portugal ) and figured if they produce optics and laser performance like the one i borowed for a test they had to be shit loads better than the chicoms........
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

kickinback wrote:Image
Where did you get it at that price, most I have seen are nearly 2x what you paid?
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

It was the runout of the superseded stock. Pm inbound.
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

I should update this. As much as I want the lecia 1600 I just can't fork out or justify that much coin at the moment. I did get a chance to have a quick look at one at the shot expo in Sydney recently and they are a fantastic bit of kit. Nice and easy to use, quick to read etc. I will keep swindling away a few spare $$ and buy one 'one day'.
I did manage to pick up a 2nd hand but basically new Vortex 1000 which will have to do for now. Seems to range well, all be it a bit slow. I had it at work one day and was bouncing it off a stack of shipping containers at just over 800 and the longest I picked up out in the field was a tree trunk at 730odd meters using a fence post as a rest but couldn't do it consistently however I am pretty certain that if I mounted it on my camera tripod I could do it much more reliably. I am pretty happy with it for the price -even if I paid full price of just over $500 I think it would still be reasonable value. The optics are nice and clear but it does have a slight blue tint.
Overall pretty happy with it at the moment and has been great to pick an object, guess the distance and then range it to see how close I am - sub 250m I was usually within <30m but out beyond that I was a bit hit and miss.

Cheers
James
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

is it threaded for a pod
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Yeah it has the standard tripod/camera thread in the bottom of it which is nice
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

for what ya pay it was the only thing that pissed

me off about the 1600B i had to use one of these
IMG_0983 (Small).JPG
IMG_0983 (Small).JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 385 times
IMG_0979 (Small).JPG
IMG_0979 (Small).JPG (43.25 KiB) Viewed 385 times
bimbo
300 Win Mag

Post by bimbo »

Yep, especially when they want to slug you another $70? bucks or something for the tripod mount. Your solution is much better :lol:
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK