Spot lights

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Re: Spot lights

Post by Plowboy »

I've got a 9inch power beam and love it. It is through the roof and I reckon the handle on the powabeam is better than the lightforce but the light is more heavy and takes more to hold it steady if using it while chasing a fox at a decent speed. But compared to the suction cap lightforce setup my best mate has I would buy my setup agin in a heartbeat! I do put silicon lubricant on the ball swivel to keep it easy moving and it allows you to tighten up the locking ring so I can take my hand away without it moving.
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

A 10" Nighteater for the 4wd and a 4" Nighteater for on spot lighting on foot these are the orange colour versions. I've had them since 2001 or so both hand made down near Sale some where. Some years ago was at the Lightforce stand talking about about spot lights and he asked what I use and when I told him his reply was "I won't be selling you a spot light today". When I asked him why his answer was " you won't a good light and value for money you buy ours and if you won't a great light and don't care about cost you buy his ".
I would say there are better now as tech has improved but both of these lights have served me very well.
500Nitro
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

CZ550 wrote:Branxhunter,

The 35 & 55w HID globes retail for around $30-60. The main cost is getting the ballasts (which convert 12v into something like 25000v output). I have just bought another 35w ballast for $88. Then you need to get a nylon insert for the Lightforce to enable the globe to fit snug and associated clips and wiring to hook the ballast up to the battery. Sounds like a bit of rooting around, but definately worth it! If you do it, don't put an on/off swith on the output side of the ballast, if it shorts you are toast!

PM me if you want the site where we got the converstion kits from.

Regards,

You shouldn't need to buy all the bits and pieces if you buy a kit which use a bulb that fits straight onto
the LF plastic and only needs to be supported internally.

Anyway, I use LF 170 and 240 which have been converted to HID.