Buying optics

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Buying optics

Post by 220 »

cam_mackps2 wrote: Then the company has their cut of say 15% (some will be higher).
Then your deal has a cut of say 15% (some will be higher).
I would say they would all be higher for the simple reason at 15% they would be loosing money.

Sale price $76.37
10% of which is GST
Purchase price $66.41
10% of which is a GST credit
Gross profit of $8.964

Employee takes 5min to unpack enter them into system and get on the shelf.
Customer wants good service and employee spends 10min with them on sale.
Employee has spent 15min total on the mounts
If the employee earns $20.00/hr with workers comp, holidays uniforms etc they will be costing the employeer $40/hr,
so the 15min has cost $10.00 already a loss of over $1.00.
This is before any other overheads, rent, power, phone, delivery charges, the list is endless, I would say 25% would be break even and that is without factoring in any oppertunity cost.

So yes your right no one is making a killing.
spooler
Favourite Cartridge: 243

Post by spooler »

Hmmm.... I really don't follow this logic of local dealerships not ripping us off. Even with all the talk of GST, customs etc, the importers would be getting a better rate than the sale price I stated. The best price I found was through my smith where I just spent $1600 and that was $155. Thats more than 100% markup from the dealer if all your other figures are right.

Total bollox is what I say.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

If this is the true value price as some think, I suggest we need more importers in this country! Now Aussie importers would be buying products either direct from the manufacturers or from a wholesale warehouse who exports. So either no middle men or 1. Now the US retailers would be going through either one or 2 middle men. Now if we can privately import an item for substantially less then they can I would be very surprised. The way I see it is that aussie retailers are only going through 1 more possibly 2 middle men than those in the US. Now in times of exchange rates being in the US's favor, I see where the price would be higher. Maybe this is old stock.... but that's not going to be possible to tell. Thing is we have been very high compared to the $US for a long time now.

Makes me think though if there is one importer in this country who is telling retailers in the US not to sell to Australia.... we are not getting value.